• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your daily job ? ... any hobbies ?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A

Any change you did your engineering apprenticeship at Lotus. Did visit many times the F1 in Zandvoort was lucky to get into the pits an saw in the 70ties the Lotus with ground effect with JPS logo awesome car.
My apprenticeship was done at David Browns in Huddersfield. Aston Martin was part of the group when I started but had been sold by the time I took a first appointment so I ended up doing noise and vibration research in David Brown Gear Industries.

chnan

I am an engineer in semiconductor manufacturing, now interested in approaching machine learning in foundry. I found my hobby of music-playback when a relative gave me a magical walkman 30 yr ago (it was OST “Pretty Women”). It totally stunned me. Since that, I often found myself in the status => think of nothing things.

It's strange while I (try to) play an instrument, I hate it.

My hobbies:
*. Searching gears that better express the recording intention ( recently studying how to build speakers)
*. Reading (on Akira Higashiyama now)
*. Advansing my skills for a better espresso at home

Digital Mastering System

Hi guys. I'm a retired EE. Worked at 3M in the early days of digital audio. I mainly did tape recording, encoding and decoding, ecc and channel stuff. Later worked on various tape formats including LTO and STK products. Now I do audio tinkering and golf. We have a really good classical music scene here in the twin cities, and I frequently go to concerts and recitals. Sit near a 9' Bosendorfer in a good hall if you want to hear power.

Wafflesocks

Spent a few years studying EE, wound up catering in college. Found a passion for cooking :D.... now work in construction management, trying to reorganize and buy the company, while turning a profit :D

Hobbies: Travel (by various means, mostly motorcycle), Cooking, reading, listening to music, and various diy projects.

murraycamp

Forum Donor
I'm a Texas trial lawyer with a docket consisting of probate, estate, and trust litigation, and commercial lawsuits. In a previous life I was an art dealer, independent curator, and college lecturer (art history).

Other hobbies: music (jazz), kayak fishing (bass and marsh), surf fishing, astronomy, native plant gardening. I used to be an avid marine and reef aquarium hobbyist and subject matter expert on coral aquarium husbandry, having published and presented at numerous reef conferences around the country. I still serve as GC to the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America. I also volunteer for Heroes on the Water, a charity that provides kayak fishing opportunities for wounded warriors and first responders, and their families.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
I wish I found this thread earlier. It gives context to some of the other discussions here.

I've worked in software engineering & data science for about 30 years. Doesn't seem that long, the years add up fast when you're having fun. Before the internet or the term "data science" we called it mathematical programming. Started with weather & satellite programming for the US Navy, then did a few start-ups, now work for a big company again.

Hobbies: at various times I've been into amateur car racing in SCCA, motorcycles, firearms (hunting, trap shooting, LEO & military training, IDPA games), bicycles (road & mountain), scuba diving, music (I play flutes of various sizes from bass to piccolo, and occasionally record local events), audio, and aviation (active private pilot). Currently in my spare time I'm usually listening to great music on my stereo, biking (road or trails), or flying my airplane around exploring the Pacific NW, Canada and Alaska.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I play flutes of various sizes from bass to piccolo, and occasionally record local events...

Never tried playing bass flute before, and now you have me intrigued.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In a past life, in Massachusetts, we had a church organist/choir director was, in her day job, a flutist. She had, and played, a bass flute. They are very large and kind of funny looking, albeit with a nice tone.

nugget

Forum Donor

Wafflesocks

nugget

Forum Donor
Last edited:

Dogen

Forum Donor
I’m currently self employed as a freelance writer for high-tech healthcare companies, working about half time and making ends meet nicely. My essential skill is writing, translating complex content for non-technical audiences, which has taken me to very interesting places over the years. In today’s world, if you can write well you can contribute in any setting.

in my late teens and 20s I was a DJ at a progressive rock station. Best job I ever had, paid to smoke reefer and play music all night.

My passions are music, of course, literally all types, especially pre-WWII jazz and country. A great interest is linguistics, especially comparative linguistics for very old languages and protolanguages. I have an irrational interest in tube audio, and I’m learning some basic electronics and soldering with the goal of building an amp on my own.

Just recently, I’ve begun Russian martial arts training, the Systema method, which is totally outside my comfort zone and a blast.

Crazy_Nate

Mechanical engineer here. Work on technology development / maturation (mostly aerospace).

Hobbies: Mountain biking, dirt biking, gardening (trying to do some permaculture stuff too), landscaping. Used to be pretty involved in martial arts but I moved and work started interfering with my time to practice (plus I'd have to find a new dojo in a different style). I've always been fairly interested in tech, audio, computers, etc since college.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Try to answer few times. Maybe I am ready now.
Job: programmer.
Hobbies: difficult to say. With my wife we program Arduino, Esp8266, Raspberry Pi and sisters. 3D design and printing. Build things to listen to music, listen to music. Maintaining our websites about what we do. Build electric bicycles, gadgets for bicycles, try to convince people cars are our death and instead use bikes...

Top Bottom