• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the worst speaker you've ever heard?

Bleib

Major Contributor
I don't know, I had a Philips 3-way speaker in the 90s which had a really sharp treble. But then again my hearing was much better in higher frequencies back then.
Otherwise it was actually OK.

Like with worst music, movies etc the mind tends to forget the worst.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Elac Adante AS-61. No bass, something missing in the presence band, no highs. I found them subjectively a fair bit worse than I would expect from the surprising (and surprised) review they got here. I've heard a fair few bad speakers in my time, abrasive treble is what I would normally rate as the worst sin, but these had a kind of, well, nothingness, that earns them my nomination.
These terrors are also up there:
View attachment 230493
I tried to give them away, but nobody would take them. Enough to put you off HiFi for life. Now they are used as sacrificial speakers for intermittent fault amplifier testing. I was able to give away the tower version to my Dad. He uses them as pedestal stands for bookshelf speakers.
So who would have thought that two Andrew Jones models would turn up in a "worst speaker" thread?

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

He admits that he doesn’t listen while developing a speaker. That seems a hardcore objectivist point of view as dumb as any tune by ear point of view. It has to be a combination of both!

Reactions: Els

Els

I don't know, I had a Philips 3-way speaker in the 90s which had a really sharp treble. But then again my hearing was much better in higher frequencies back then.
Otherwise it was actually OK.

Like with worst music, movies etc the mind tends to forget the worst.
The philips dome tweeter was the worst but never the less used by lots of makers like DCM Time Windows.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor

He admits that he doesn’t listen while developing a speaker. That seems a hardcore objectivist point of view as dumb as any tune by ear point of view. It has to be a combination of both!
Well, he is in the business. I have to go into making some witch burning heretical statements to rephrase what he probably means. He stated, and its true, that he can get most of the way there with his engineering skills as he knows from his years of work how to do that. Then at the end he can tweak them as needed. You have to remember that the things that ASR members may obsess over and spend 30 pages arguing/discussing over are in the end not all that important. If you were paying $20,000 for them that would be fine. But in inexpensive ELAC's lower cost lines, you will get what that price point will support. Luckily, some engineers are making some very good inexpensive speakers nowadays. So, he is using "in the business" quick and dirty statements that the average person doesn't really understand. A nice thread to check out is the PS Audio FR30. Chris the engineer from PS Audio drops a lot of wisdom into his posts. So, in the end, what Amir does in testing these speakers is weed out the junk and stuff no one should buy from the pretty good to very good for various price points. By using Amir's tests you can really get what you pay for and not have buyers remorse. So, I'm done rambling..........:)

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Well, he is in the business. I have to go into making some witch burning heretical statements to rephrase what he probably means. He stated, and its true, that he can get most of the way there with his engineering skills as he knows from his years of work how to do that. Then at the end he can tweak them as needed. You have to remember that the things that ASR members may obsess over and spend 30 pages arguing/discussing over are in the end not all that important. If you were paying $20,000 for them that would be fine. But in inexpensive ELAC's lower cost lines, you will get what that price point will support. Luckily, some engineers are making some very good inexpensive speakers nowadays. So, he is using "in the business" quick and dirty statements that the average person doesn't really understand. A nice thread to check out is the PS Audio FR30. Chris the engineer from PS Audio drops a lot of wisdom into his posts. So, in the end, what Amir does in testing these speakers is weed out the junk and stuff no one should buy from the pretty good to very good for various price points. By using Amir's tests you can really get what you pay for and not have buyers remorse. So, I'm done rambling..........:)
It's also worth pointing out that he was working in a different continent for a company that builds its product in different locations and already had a long standing design team and tradition.
In the case of the Adante, it's quite possible that some issue arose in production that spoilt the speaker. It would explain a few things.

Separately, why haven't ranges of speakers taking the second letter out of a musical indication continued? I'm sure we would all loved to see the Pesto.

verendus

It's also worth pointing out that he was working in a different continent for a company that builds its product in different locations and already had a long standing design team and tradition.
In the case of the Adante, it's quite possible that some issue arose in production that spoilt the speaker. It would explain a few things.

Separately, why haven't ranges of speakers taking the second letter out of a musical indication continued? I'm sure we would all loved to see the Pesto.
Just wondering where you heard the Adante? What was the set up? I own a pair and it's one of the best sounding speakers I've listened/owned. It took the place of B&W 805 D3 and Vela. Adante requires good source and amp matching like any high-end speakers. The bass is so clean and neutral (although it is best paired with a decent sub), and the midrange/highs are its crown jewel. They remind me of Wilson Benesch sound. I think Adante flopped not because of its quality, but because of the perception that Andrew-Jones-branded Elacs were a budget line.

Els

Any novice who is interested in audio can put together a 2 way stand mount or bookshelf with a 6 1/2 inch and a dome tweeter.
This is sales BS from an otherwise credible engineer.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Just wondering where you heard the Adante? What was the set up? I own a pair and it's one of the best sounding speakers I've listened/owned. It took the place of B&W 805 D3 and Vela. Adante requires good source and amp matching like any high-end speakers. The bass is so clean and neutral (although it is best paired with a decent sub), and the midrange/highs are its crown jewel. They remind me of Wilson Benesch sound. I think Adante flopped not because of its quality, but because of the perception that Andrew-Jones-branded Elacs were a budget line.
OK. I heard the Adante in a dealer's demo room. Not a large room, but well prepared, and everything properly set up (I have to say most dealers don't do this very well in these parts). I wasn't there looking for speakers, but for a CD or SACD player. The amp was an Esoteric F-07, which I don't know but should have been plenty good enough. No sub. Since I was mainly there to find out about the disc players in terms of ergonomics, remotes and facilities, having a "not so good" speaker was a bit less bothersome. And this was during covid, I was let in "between appointments" so I was basically left alone for almost an hour and couldn't really ask for a different speaker to be set up. I have to say that my experience couldn't have been more different to yours. I'd started with the Arcam SACD player which was disappointing and I thought that it may have been responsible (or indeed my prejudice was coming through as the player didn't play some of my discs either) but the Esoteric players in the room, and the Denon 110 anniversary player would all have to have been awful as well.

Measurement based reviews of both Adante models showed issues, but not as bad as what I heard. It's why I wonder if build quality had something to do with it. As I noted before, Stereophile and HiFi News reviews of other Andrew Jones ELAC models showed poor matching (I'll leave you to find those).

I came across another sample at a different dealer, but in a comparator setup. It was superficially as bad, and was being sold off at around half price. It still didn't sell. Again I was looking at disc players and didn't take too much notice other than "them again". There's a fair chance that on that occasion I was "hearing what I expected". On a later visit they had been replaced by Wharfedale Evo floorstanders (a standmount from the range did badly here as well, so it goes) which in turn sounded excellent with the same Marantz amp, the PM-10. I bought the amp, by the way.

Disclaimer - this is of course a sighted subjective reaction. I'm not always prepared to stand by a dealer's demo room assessment of a product, especially a speaker. There's too much to go wrong. On this occasion, because of the circumstances, I am. Though perhaps I should really bow to the "so-so" measurements made here and elsewhere, at least. I'm pleased also that you have a speaker that you enjoy. That's the important thing!

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
OK. I heard the Adante in a dealer's demo room. Not a large room, but well prepared, and everything properly set up (I have to say most dealers don't do this very well in these parts). I wasn't there looking for speakers, but for a CD or SACD player. The amp was an Esoteric F-07, which I don't know but should have been plenty good enough. No sub. Since I was mainly there to find out about the disc players in terms of ergonomics, remotes and facilities, having a "not so good" speaker was a bit less bothersome. And this was during covid, I was let in "between appointments" so I was basically left alone for almost an hour and couldn't really ask for a different speaker to be set up. I have to say that my experience couldn't have been more different to yours. I'd started with the Arcam SACD player which was disappointing and I thought that it may have been responsible (or indeed my prejudice was coming through as the player didn't play some of my discs either) but the Esoteric players in the room, and the Denon 110 anniversary player would all have to have been awful as well.

Measurement based reviews of both Adante models showed issues, but not as bad as what I heard. It's why I wonder if build quality had something to do with it. As I noted before, Stereophile and HiFi News reviews of other Andrew Jones ELAC models showed poor matching (I'll leave you to find those).

I came across another sample at a different dealer, but in a comparator setup. It was superficially as bad, and was being sold off at around half price. It still didn't sell. Again I was looking at disc players and didn't take too much notice other than "them again". There's a fair chance that on that occasion I was "hearing what I expected". On a later visit they had been replaced by Wharfedale Evo floorstanders (a standmount from the range did badly here as well, so it goes) which in turn sounded excellent with the same Marantz amp, the PM-10. I bought the amp, by the way.

Disclaimer - this is of course a sighted subjective reaction. I'm not always prepared to stand by a dealer's demo room assessment of a product, especially a speaker. There's too much to go wrong. On this occasion, because of the circumstances, I am. Though perhaps I should really bow to the "so-so" measurements made here and elsewhere, at least. I'm pleased also that you have a speaker that you enjoy. That's the important thing!
when it's that lacking in bass and presence region, I wonder if it's some kind of dud drivers like in Amirm's Behringer review, or even worse, the dealer's room just have it set up in some null zones? not sure what was your country's practice, but in my place, most dealers don't really know about setups, they just place some stands on nice looking locations in a big room, more often than not the speaker driver will locate in the not recommended 2-4 foot from the front wall, creating massive nulls

verendus

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I do agree that demo rooms are not good places to test the speakers. I also have seen a few users report the speaker cabinet not completely sealed between the cavities. This would explain why no bass with potentially mid/highs being smeared as well.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
when it's that lacking in bass and presence region, I wonder if it's some kind of dud drivers like in Amirm's Behringer review, or even worse, the dealer's room just have it set up in some null zones? not sure what was your country's practice, but in my place, most dealers don't really know about setups, they just place some stands on nice looking locations in a big room, more often than not the speaker driver will locate in the not recommended 2-4 foot from the front wall, creating massive nulls
I do agree with this. Some dealers are better than others. At the extreme end, I’ve mentioned another bizarre experience where a million dollar system (that’s Australian dollars, but still) was beaten for the most important aspects of music by a customer’s phone! Now that was definitely poor setup.

My experience of the Adantes wasn’t that.

Top Bottom