• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is the best quality/price headphones for 1500€ max ?

OP
thomz6

thomz6

hello guys,

I am sorry for my late answer hihi

I would like to say thank you all for your advices

Finally, I decided to buy a HD 800S... For 1299€

It is a huge price... But this headphones are really nice. In fact, when I compare with my other headphones, I really feel to have a true natural sound in my ears not a superficial one. Plus, the confort makes me forget I wear a device.
I hope I will keep it for 10+ years like an investment... ahah

By the way SJ777, I use Qobuz for musics.

Last edited:

jfree77

Forum Donor
if you're worried about diminishing returns, then 1500 is way too much. Just buy a 400-600 set from Dan Clark or Audeze or Beyer and be done with it.

However, if you do go for 1500, I'm a big fan of ZMF. you could score a Auteur/Eikon for that.

Noodles

True, value at this price is non-existent
It's like buying a "luxury" watch.

It's all fine if you don't think about how much you just spent ;) *he said looking at the several 1k+ sets of headphones on his desk*

It's fine...

jfree77

Forum Donor
True, value at this price is non-existent
It's like buying a "luxury" watch.

It's all fine if you don't think about how much you just spent ;) *he said looking at the several 1k+ sets of headphones on his desk*

It's fine...

Agreed. While my Verites are the best headphones I've had or tried, the difference between them and my 6xx is definitely not $2000 of a difference.

Good to keep perspective on the ridiculousness of this hobby.

Smychavo

if you're worried about diminishing returns, then 1500 is way too much. Just buy a 400-600 set from Dan Clark or Audeze or Beyer and be done with it.

However, if you do go for 1500, I'm a big fan of ZMF. you could score a Auteur/Eikon for that.
I'm curious of the sound differences between the LCD-2, and the Ether CX, and Aeon 2/RT. They've been on my radar for awhile, short of going to some crazy expensive set.

jfree77

Forum Donor
I've owned the LCD-2C. Don't think there is much difference post-EQ to be honest. The size of the LCD-2C made me sell it. Couldn't lay back in my chair.

Smychavo

I've owned the LCD-2C. Don't think there is much difference post-EQ to be honest. The size of the LCD-2C made me sell it. Couldn't lay back in my chair.
As in there's hardly a difference between the 2C, and the 2 fazor after EQ? Just clarifying.

jfree77

Forum Donor
Sorry, that was confusing. I probably wouldn't notice a big diff (other than normal dynamic vs. planar stuff) between the 2C and ZMF cans.

That is excepting the Verite which is my favorite headphone. Def have noticed a difference there (love the Verite).

However, all of this is WELL PAST diminishing returns and I wouldn't recommend anyone pay more than $600 for any pair of headphones.

Smychavo

Sorry, that was confusing. I probably wouldn't notice a big diff (other than normal dynamic vs. planar stuff) between the 2C and ZMF cans.

That is excepting the Verite which is my favorite headphone. Def have noticed a difference there (love the Verite).

However, all of this is WELL PAST diminishing returns and I wouldn't recommend anyone pay more than $600 for any pair of headphones.
Well that's understandable, I only ask since I'm not looking at a value proposition. I'm more focused on what would constitute as a 'fun' listening experience that doesn't sacrifice on detail retrieval. From what I can infer, the ZMF Verite are worth a look.

jfree77

Forum Donor
Well that's understandable, I only ask since I'm not looking at a value proposition. I'm more focused on what would constitute as a 'fun' listening experience that doesn't sacrifice on detail retrieval. From what I can infer, the ZMF Verite are worth a look.

Hold out a little longer on the Verite as Amir is going to drop a review of them soon. Won't change my opinion, but would be good to see and consider!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would get the Hifiman Edition X v2. Excellent value even among 1.5k to 3k usd headphones.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven't heard them.

Noodles

Apart from an impromptu listening session of the Ether CX i cannot comment on them too much ... they sounded clean and had fast transients. They did not have any accentuation in either regions. I did not like them one bit.
On the other hand i've had the old Aeon (now Aeon RT with minor tweaks) and i've had the Aeon 2 Closed ...
Aeon RT is the better version of the old Aeon - the old one had subdued treble to such an extend they sounded boring af.
Neither of them sound like a typical planar ... they sound more like a dynamic in the sense that they don't have the typical "wall of sound" going on, they are fast and extend fairly low as well... but not out of the box - they need a bit of EQ.
Aeon 2 Closed's default tuning is more on the bright side.
Build wise - they are all rather good with the exception of the pad fiddling on the Aeon.
If i'm looking at another planar, it would be either the LCD-GX (build is better than most + sound is not plastic-y and thwack-y) or the Arya ... and maybe the Gold Planar GL2000... maybe.
I have no idea what it is about planars though ... most feel like a DIY project (except Audeze and some Dan Clark).

Takanaka

Forum Donor
I’m on the fence as to what to choose, I have the Auteur right now and it’s decent. But I’m slowly but surely getting interested in other headphones, the HD800S, HEDDphone, Arya and LCD-X come to mind.

Used the LCD-X 3 years ago and I loved it, even stock, a lot better than the LCD2C. But I had to return it because the weight was killing me but I heard they have a better headband now.

The HEDDphone appears to be rather problematic, especially in the treble department but seems to be a rather unique headphone otherwise.

Heard good things about the Arya, little difficult to drive perhaps. Heard some mixed results but generally quite positive and seems to be a very good competitor to the HD800S but I’m somewhat worried about QC.

Lastly the HD800S, seems like a really good allrounder, but might be a bit bass anemic.

Noodles

LCD-X .... there is a lot of variance between drivers (drivers on the headphone are matched) in between production batches for them. I'd say don't get an old one as you might have this problem. Some of them sound pretty good to very good, some of them have weird dips in the FR.
HEDD is .... weird. It might not even fit your head. To top it off - it is VERY heavy and honestly it is nothing special.
Hifiman has been improving with the QC lately, but if you are worried about it - get it from a reputable seller/shop.
I really like my superdupont modded HD800, but the sound of it is something that you will have to get used to as it appears to be very anemic at first, but then when you do get used to it - you see that most other headphones are just intense.
Right now what i have on my desk is a HD800 modded, Nighthawk, Focal Radiance and Beyer T5 pad swapped and i am mulling over getting a Gold Planar GL2000, just so i can get a decent planar in here :)

Takanaka

Forum Donor
LCD-X .... there is a lot of variance between drivers (drivers on the headphone are matched) in between production batches for them. I'd say don't get an old one as you might have this problem. Some of them sound pretty good to very good, some of them have weird dips in the FR.
HEDD is .... weird. It might not even fit your head. To top it off - it is VERY heavy and honestly it is nothing special.
Hifiman has been improving with the QC lately, but if you are worried about it - get it from a reputable seller/shop.
I really like my superdupont modded HD800, but the sound of it is something that you will have to get used to as it appears to be very anemic at first, but then when you do get used to it - you see that most other headphones are just intense.
Right now what i have on my desk is a HD800 modded, Nighthawk, Focal Radiance and Beyer T5 pad swapped and i am mulling over getting a Gold Planar GL2000, just so i can get a decent planar in here :)
Guess I’m just gonna try to get my hands on the LCD-X, HD800S and Arya and see for myself what they will do with and without EQ.

Especially the Arya seems right up my alley sound signature wise, bummer Hifiman really cheaped out on the build quality with all the plastic for something that costs €1600.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Guess I’m just gonna try to get my hands on the LCD-X, HD800S and Arya and see for myself what they will do with and without EQ.

Especially the Arya seems right up my alley sound signature wise, bummer Hifiman really cheaped out on the build quality with all the plastic for something that costs €1600.

Dangerous! There is a good chance after fiddling with all 3, you'll want to keep them all. I cant speak for the Arya but the LCD and the 800 are still very different after EQ but I love them both.

Top Bottom