• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

blse59

Just got a DT770 which I have been enjoying for a week. Now I see what the fuss is about and why this headphone has endured. It's hard to believe this level of sound quality existed in the 80s. But the sources back then were crap so people didn't get the full potential.

AKG Q701
Audeze LCD-3
Audeze LCD-5
Audio Technica AD-500x
Audio Technica ATH-WP900
Beyerdynamic T1.2
Beyerdynamic T90
Bose QC25
Beyerdynamic DT177X
DCA Ether CX
DCA Aeon RT Open
Fostex TH909
Hifiman HE6se
Grado PS1000
Focal Elex
Koss ESP/95X
KLH Ultimate One
Sash Tres
Sennheiser 6XX
Sony MDR-MA900
Sony MDR-SA1000
Sony MDR-Z7M2
Shure SRH-1540
ZMF Auteur Wenge (original version)

Apple AirPods Pro
Moondrop Chu

I’m sure I’m probably forgetting some, and I know I have too many, but it’s a pain in the rear to sell and ship stuff, and every time I feel like I might I listen to the pair one last time and fall in love again.

EDIT:

When I got home I did discover some I’d forgotten.

Hifiman HE4XX
Blue MoFi
JVC HA-SZ2000
Monoprice M1570

Last edited:

C38368

Just got a DT770 which I have been enjoying for a week. Now I see what the fuss is about and why this headphone has endured. It's hard to believe this level of sound quality existed in the 80s. But the sources back then were crap so people didn't get the full potential.
I just pulled my DT770s out yesterday and started listening to them again. Even with old, fallen, and falling apart pads, and foam inserts that disintegrated years ago (and I still haven't replaced) they're still a stunningly wonderful listening experience! Mine are the 80 ohm Pro version, and I feed them through a HeadAmp GS-1 most of the time.

On topic: I've whittled my collection down to four: Beyer DT770 Pros, Grado HF-1 and HF-2, and Etymotic ER4-SR. Somewhere I have a semi-functioning pairs of Shure E2 and E3cs, and may or may not have a pair of Ety ER-4Ses (they were probably stolen, though), and I'm always on the hunt for a pair of gently-loved Senn HD650s.

Last edited:

HoJ76

My headphones right now.
philips fidelio x2hr
akg k701
sennheiser hd650
Hifiman ananda stealth magnet

topping e30ii/l30

SquishVinyl

Just curious ...
What headphone(s) do you currently own ?
Which one(s) is(are) used the most, or is your favorite ?
Hi there,
My first post here) I have been lurking for far too long.
I have the Audeze LCD-2 C.
HD 800's, and finally the Grados, ( which are my current favourite of the three.) I just love the sound of them.
I'm fairly new on my audio journey, so I am fairly confident I will discover many more in years to come.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What Grado(s) ?

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Headphones:

Sennheiser - HD600 (I had a HD414 but sold it to a collector a year ago)
AKG - K371 & K702
Hifiman - Edition XS and HD400SE
FiiO - FT5
Soundcore - Q30 and Space One

And too many IEM's to list but some of my favourites:

Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite
Etymotic ER2XR
Truthear Zero Red
Tanchim One
7Hz Salnotes Zero

SquishVinyl

I may be sick in some way:
Owned and sold many times more than this.
definitely a horder...

Pioneer SE-300 ans SE305 (just out of curiosity, costed nearly nothing, not used)
Koss KSC35 and 2 pairs of KSC75 (have gotten lots of usage in the past)
Jays V-Jays (somewhat similar to Koss thingies)
AKG K518 (modified, still not great)
Fostex T50RP both modified and EQ'ed (have not been used for years, great sound though)
Beyerdynamic DT990-600 (oldie, used it for many years, not used any more but can't part with it)
Beyerdynamic DT1350 EQ'ed and nubuck pads (used these on vacation now and then, need EQ, very dynamic and good SQ to me)
HD250-Lin II
HD238 (modified, wife uses it on vacation)
Philips Uptown 1x (modified, good SQ, not in use anymore)
Superlux: HD681 (modified), HD687 proto (modified), HD688 proto (modified), HD671 proto + production (modified), HD672 proto + production (modified)
Sennheiser HD58X proto + HD58X production (modified and filtered) occasionally used
Sennheiser HD650 (old, black driver) (EQ'ed) has been used extensively in the past. Now in the drawer. Not gonna sell it.
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (modified) did not like the stock version.
Sennheiser HD800 (EQ'ed).
NAD VISO HP50
Beyerdynamic DT1770 and DT1990

Favorites: HD800 (EQ'ed), HD688 Proto (modified), the production version is not nearly as good, DT1350 (EQ'ed), KSC35, HD650 (EQ'ed), COP (modified), HD58X (modified and filtered), DT1770, DT1990
Most usage: HD800 (EQ'ed)/DT1990, a prototype headphone I cannot name alas and DT1770 (closed)
I have the same sickness, but plagued with the plight of the poor lol.

jesss

I am currently listening through a pair of verum 1's I got from their creator right when he started iterating on them in the DIY forums and a pc37x headset held together with some 3d printed brackets.

I've owned and fiddled with many headphones, some still with me some in parts bins, some sold off- multiple pairs of hd280/hd600/hd59x, grados, various closed AT sets, hifiman, mr speakers (AEON- very first preorder version!). I went through a phase during which I designed and 3d printed a few planar drivers (carefully electro-etched pyralux film and little magnets!) and designed an electrostatic driver too. I also built a pair of 3d printed mr speakers openalpha headphones based around one of the planar fostex drivers. I enjoyed attending canjam NYC a few years ago too!

Excited to be getting back into hifi again after some time away.

Last edited:

jooc

Just curious ...
What headphone(s) do you currently own ?
Which one(s) is(are) used the most, or is your favorite ?

Sony MDR V6 closed --> wife
Sony MDR 7506 closed x 2 --> kids
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X open back --> mine & favorite

benanders

IMG_6554.jpeg

Headphones head in the opposite direction of what my brain thinks is musically fun and/or often-situationally-useful. IEM’s at the extreme negative edge of the range.

I keep a set of Audio Technica ATH-PRO5MK3’s for listening to music clips or video clips on my computers, critical evaluation of files and nothing more.
A handful of months ago I had the chance to buy a like-new pair of Ultrasone Tribute 7’s for 1/10th original price. I still don’t use headphones more than before that purchase, but it’s nice to have a set of cans that sound really good for when it’s “needed.”

vsherry

I own the Sony Xm5 over-ther-ear headphones and the True Wireless earbuds. I own the Bose Quiet Comfort Ultra over-the-ear headphones and the earbuds. I own the Focal Bathys and the Focal Clear Pro MG. I own a pair of Bose earbuds with a wire connecting the buds, which I bough to resist True Wireless until technological advancements forced my adoption. I own the Bose NC700, which I bought to have over-the-ear headphones that could withstand exercise. That's my lineup.

Misguided

Just bought some Sennheiser HD560s (new version), really impressed for the money.

These now go with my Hifiman Sundaras and Truthear Hexas.

I gave my nephew my Moondrop Chus at Xmas as he was using one earbud to listen to music after losing the other and he does have pretty decent taste despite refusing to listen to anything outside of the 60's and 70's.

I own the Sony Xm5 over-ther-ear headphones and the True Wireless earbuds. I own the Bose Quiet Comfort Ultra over-the-ear headphones and the earbuds. I own the Focal Bathys and the Focal Clear Pro MG. I own a pair of Bose earbuds with a wire connecting the buds, which I bough to resist True Wireless until technological advancements forced my adoption. I own the Bose NC700, which I bought to have over-the-ear headphones that could withstand exercise. That's my lineup.
That’s a lot of wireless stuff.

I avoided it for a long time as well, but eventually broke down and picked up the. AirPods Pro because my gf didn’t like me talking on speakerphone when I was on the phone with her and doing things around the house.

I still like my Bose QC25s for flying, I think it’s the last wired ANC pair they made. Still better sound quality wired than wireless, and a single AAA battery gives me ridiculously long battery life, and it’s easy to toss a spare in the bag as well.

If Apple can devise a way to do true lossless wireless audio on the Airpod Max 2 I’ll probably make the jump to wireless for flying then.

I have a few, sold some recently, here's my current inventory:
  • Sennheiser HD 560S (New Version): Brilliant out of the box, even better EQed when the tonality changes are accounted for. Offensively comfortable despite the cheapish construction materials. Current favorite for... Everything.
  • Koss Porta Pro LE Gold/Black: Love these guys for relaxed listening and gaming on the Steam Deck. Warm, easy to listen to.
  • Audio-Technica MSR7b: Were my go-to cans for a while before I switched to open back headphones. EXTREMELY detailed, tonality is wonky to return to now though.
  • Soundcore Space Q45: My work headphones. Surprisingly detailed, clear, and controlled, but very consumer-oriented in tuning. Mics are fantastic, very comfortable for long hours of wear. Great for work, good for games, not great for critical listening.
AMP/DACs:
  • Topping DX1
  • Whatever the heck the Steam Deck uses
  • Apple USB-C Dongle (rarely needed)
  • Schiit Fulla (1st Gen)
Have to update my list now and add what I certainly hope/feel is my endgame:
  • Focal Elex: Lively and lush - I cannot stress how much fun these headphones are to listen to, especially with vocal centric music. The imaging and sound-stage is absolutely sublime. No EQ needed, as I love the Focal house sound.
The 560S are now my all-day work comfort headphones for when I work from home or want to use something big on the Steam Deck - Elex only features a 6.35mm connector, so it is dedicated to my desktop rig. The Q45's stay at the office from now on since I do need to run around a testing lab with headphones on, so a wire is a no-go there.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Im always changing things up.

Audeze LCD-X (2021)
Focal Clear OG
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD497
Austrian Audio Hi-X60
Apple Airpods Pro Second Gen
Apple Airpods Max
Tin T2
Moon Drop Chu

Last edited:

Tim1962

I have way too many but this collection has been built over several years. Given I have been able to buy the overwhelming majority of these used (Open Box, Pawn Shops, Craigslist & Marketplace), I can't complain and only a few would probably be considered audiophile grade.
AKG K240 Studio
Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Ed. 80-Ohm
Koss Pro/4AA (were my Dad's still work great with new pads)
Monoprice Monolith M560 Planar
Monoprice Premium DJ 8323
Pioneer HDJ-X7
Samson SR850
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro
Sennheiser HD 560S
Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee (Made Solderdude Mod - felt pad behind driver with 3mm hole)
Sennheiser HD 660S
Superlux HD 668B

The Audio-Technica's are my fall asleep headphone and the other M50x hangs out by my computer. My listening post, as I call it by my recliner, usually has one of the Sennheiser pairs (58x or 560s - for my bass preference) where my source is MacBookPro USB to my Topping DX3 pro+ that feeds an old Optimus 31-2030 graphic EQ before the headphone. The Monoprice 8323 cans are 10 years old and are still amazing for the price. I recently greased the ball joints and hinges to stop the plastic creaking noise and put different pads on and they still rock and deserve more play time.

Top Bottom