• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
its low bass is not only a bit recessed but also has higher levels of distortion.

Yes, that's how I heard it too. The increase in distortion is due to compression at higher swings for low frequencies. I don't think many reviewers measure this aspect though so remains 'hidden' as higher odd harmonics at more impressive SPL.

linearity.png

and overlaid with a different dB scale:
linearity-overlayed.png

duttjack

I am personally using Mpow X3. It is a wireless bluetooth earbuds. Its noise cancellation feature and the battery timings are the key points for me to buy it.

Degru

My main reference cans are Stax 404LE running out of an SRD-7 and Adcom GFA-545ii and sometimes an SMSL SA50 If I want to move them somewhere. These are much nicer sounding than the new lambdas, and are uncharacteristically aggressive for Stax. Super fun and hard hitting.

Other cans are a modded LCD2C, modded CD900st, modded/driver swapped DT250 (at least, will be at some point), Stax 001mk2 (currently damaged), Koss HVX, Sennheiser HD425 600 ohm, Pioneer Monitor 10 and soon an isine 10. Those run out of Archel 2.5 Pro and Modius, which also serves as a preamp for the stax setup. I might have to terminate the 425 in banana plugs because those things are crazy insensitive and 600 ohms to boot.

For portable sources I've got a Fiio A5 and a Geekout 1000 when I'm at my laptop. I much prefer the Geekout as an amp, but it sadly can't be used with a phone due to its massive power draw. A5 is a pretty powerful and clean measuring amp, but sadly subjective impressions don't quite match up. It makes my cd900st sound unpleasant and sibilant even tho it gets loud. Planars run fine out of it however.

Wagstaff

Just today got Ananda! Considering a filter from our own solderdude... but going to live with it “as is” before going there

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Only use a filter (or EQ) when you are bothered by the treble. Most people like it as it is.

jhwalker

In order of my current preference:

Focal Elegia
MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed
MrSpeakers Alpha Prime
HiFiMan HE-500
KEF M500
Bowers & Wilkins P5 (Mark II)
Fostex T50RP MK3

and then some I use primarily for conference calls, etc. (e.g., Sony MDR-1000x, Bose QuietComfort 20).

Quick update - I've recently purchased the Dan Clark Audio AEON Closed 2, and it's become my new top choice: clean, fast, detailed, sound with nary a hint of distortion anywhere. Compared with these, the Elegias sound almost syrupy.

Not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

Wagstaff

Only use a filter (or EQ) when you are bothered by the treble. Most people like it as it is.
Thank you — this is the plan, why I want to “live with it” for a while; to see if the treble bothers me. I read your exchange with John Yang on this set of headphones, found that very helpful. Almost as helpful as the open box deal and further $50-off coupon that Hifiman was running last weekend...!

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quick update - I've recently purchased the Dan Clark Audio AEON Closed 2, and it's become my new top choice: clean, fast, detailed, sound with nary a hint of distortion anywhere. Compared with these, the Elegias sound almost syrupy.

Not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

Interestingly enough it has quite high distortion when measured, not that I could hear it though.

kkeretic

AKG K550 with some unlabeled pads from ebay (so no more bass unless I am pushing them on my ears :rolleyes:).
AKG K712 - hated them for years until I got the Topping A50 amp. Recently equalized, now like them very much and am planning to get another pair when still available for future use.
Sennheiser HD599 SE - got them for black friday last year from Amazon for only 99€. Also equalized recently, they sound like a million bucks for that money. I put these on when I want to recreate a real concert feeling, seriously. Energetic headphones as hell.
HiFiMAN Sundara - got them only a few days ago, refreshed model, equalized from the day one, so cannot say much about them except that I like the sound in general, especially how they recreate music in layers. However seems they are somewhat shy on bass. Will see.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Scored a used HD800 at a good price.

Not quite up to my usual Stax Lambdas, but I've been having more and more comfort issues with headphones which never used to bother me. I'm hoping the extra large and deep pads/cups will solve that problem.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Scored a used HD800 at a good price.

Not quite up to my usual Stax Lambdas, but I've been having more and more comfort issues with headphones which never used to bother me. I'm hoping the extra large and deep pads/cups will solve that problem.
Enjoy!

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The stock Samsons will be tolerable until I have the time and money to find a nicer alternative.

I've been looking around a bit, and I think the Sennheiser HD560S might be a a good candidate for my next pair of headphones. A relatively large amount of Sennheiser goodness for not a hell of a lot of money? And I love the looks! I'm gonna try to find a place where I can have a listen.

Last edited:

faheem

Forum Donor
Have been using the HD650 for a few years, started using iems alot more recently, and, was looking for something with more low end. Spent a few days trying out a bunch of headphones. My way of trying out is with the HD650 and Etymotic ER2XR in hand, and trying out other headphones without knowing the price, think price bias/expectation may mess with my head.

Settled on the Ananda. The low end wowed me, not slam but the way it felt like it was going all the way down.

HoJ76

I have
sony mdr 1000x mk1
Marshall Major v1
BeoPlay H6 v1
Using laptop and mobile phone

I have ordered
Topping dx3 pro
akg k701
he400i v2020

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have to admit I'm surprised by the number of responders with many sets of headphones.

I can understand one for home and something portable. Maybe an extra pair.

But the long lists, well, it's not me.

KittySneeze

Edit: Focals and the Sony EX800st are my favorites.

Headphones:
  • Focal Clear Professional
  • Modhouse Argon Mk3
  • Sennheiser HD660s
  • Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R
IEMs:
  • Shure 846
  • Sony EX800st
  • Etymotic ER2XR

Top Bottom