• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sony WH1000XM3 (funny enough the headphone i got longest of all headphones ever - when I need ANC its the only one)
Sivga Phoenix
Audio Technica ATH-R70x (only got them for 2 hours, but man they are awesome in a special way)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to admit I'm surprised by the number of responders with many sets of headphones.

I can understand one for home and something portable. Maybe an extra pair.

But the long lists, well, it's not me.

They are a lot smaller than speakers so they are easy to collect.

Mulder

Forum Donor
Sony WH1000XM3 and Sennheiser Momentum 3 NC. Sennheiser HD600 and HD250. AKG 240 MKII and 701. Bayerdinamic 770 pro. Audio Technica M50. Wchich I use the most? Depends on situation. Sennheiser Momentum 3 for convenience when on the move. Otherwise mostly AKG 240 or Bayerdynamic 770 pro, the later when I need to be silent.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to admit I'm surprised by the number of responders with many sets of headphones.

For me, owning a number of different headphones over the years is more like a journey to arrive at the perfect headphone, and it also helps educate you on the strengths & weaknesses of different headphones & different types of headphones....plus sometimes a certain headphone would suit a certain genre of music I found, but recently I settled on my old K702 (from 2015) as my favourite headphone that does everything, and mainly choosing that one for it's excellent imaging and speaker-like feel rather than the "in-your-head" of HD600 for example.

My personal headphone list of favourites from best to worst (when all are EQ'd to the same curve):
1) AKG K702
2) NAD HP50 (mainly for the perfect bass extension & smoothness, plus quite an open feeling for a closed back headphone)
3) Sennheiser HD600: lovely for vocals, but too much of an "in-your-head" sound, and bass doesn't respond overly well to bass EQ, generally not as smooth as the NAD HP50.

I only recommend K702 as my favourite with a Harman Curve EQ with measurements from Innerfidelity (Oratory hasn't measured it) and then using the "calibrated Harman Target Curve" that Jaakopasanen has created recently (months) which he did by comparing Innerfidelity measurements of certain headphones with the same headphones measured by Oratory, thereby seeing where the differences lie and creating a "calibrated Harman Target Curve" from that with the goal of creating a valid Harman Target Curve that can be used with Innerfidelity measurements. I've done my own EQ using that and I believe it does indeed match the Harman Curve well as it sounds very similar to my Harman Curve EQ'd JBL 308p Mkii speakers. For me the EQ'd K702 has the same detail of the HD600 whilst having way better imaging & speaker-like feel, as well as responding better to bass EQ. Here's my EQ for anyone that's curious or if they wanna try it on their K702 (preamp -4.8dB):
K702 Innerfidelity Downloaded Harman Target.jpg

(posted this EQ in a number of places today, but forgive me, I'm enthusiastic about it so want to spread how good this cheap AKG K702 can be.....of course if the Harman Headphone Curve doesn't sound right to someone then they won't like this EQ....this is due to people having different physical anatomy of their head & ears which means people have different HRTF's - another topic!)

Last edited:

richpjr

I have the lovely combination of a big head and big ears so have gone through a lot as most headphones as most are not very comfortable. I have

Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD598 SE
Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Grado 80e
Airpod Pro
B&W PX
Hifiman HE400i

The most comfortable are the HD598, which I use at work, and the Amiron Home which is my main go to headphone. The Airpod Pros are my workout headphone.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for sharing, but what stands PK in the settings for? Peak? Called Peak/Dip in ROON. I just realised I have the AKG 702, not 701 as I wrote first.
No problem, hopefully you'll find my EQ quite revealing for the K702, but it will depend on if you're a fan of the Headphone Harman Target Curve. Yep, PK stands for Peak Filter - it can be either a "peak" or "dip" depending on if the Gain is positive or negative. HSQ stands for High Shelf Filter with modifiable Q Value.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

To add to your list, some people have headphones specifically for gaming.

It's sometimes fun to listen to music with a headphone with a different sound signature. It's kind of a pain to switch out speakers to do that (not to mention where do you put the extra speaker pairs). But easy enough just to pick up a second pair of headphones and put them on.

I also keep my Focal Elear with my desktop setup upstairs. And my Sennheiser HD660S downstairs. Much like some people here have a speaker setup in their bedroom and one in their living room.

Mulder

Forum Donor
No problem, hopefully you'll find my EQ quite revealing for the K702, but it will depend on if you're a fan of the Headphone Harman Target Curve.
I have put your values into both the ROON-EG and Jriver EQ. I have never before tried to adjust a pair of headphones with a Harmand curve. This is the first time. My first impression was that the sound became a bit confined, but when I listened for a while I slowly began to realize that it is probably actually an improvement. I think I have to listen for a while to adjust my listening. I think it will show over time if this is an improvement. I think so. it should be.

Mulder

Forum Donor
With the help of the jaakkopasan, I made a Harmand curve also for my Bayerdynamic DT 770. Same sound balance but different character compared to K702. It became clear at once how much better the AKG headphones are compared to the Bayerdynamic DT 770.

wemist01

I've owned and sold a good number, but right now the hierarchy is
Apple earbuds - still use my vintage iPods and find these are great for still hearing traffic
Sony MDR-V6 - for nighttime in-bed listening that doesn't disturb the wife. Sound is adequate. They are plastic and creak, but won't break.
Audeze LCD-XC - Closed back so nobody gives me grief when the volume goes up. They sound a little weird when they are not EQ'd, but the True-Fi correction is A+. Love these- far better than anything I've owned, including cans by Fostex, AKG, Sennheiser. They are big and heavy, but I have a big and heavy head to begin with.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have put your values into both the ROON-EG and Jriver EQ. I have never before tried to adjust a pair of headphones with a Harmand curve. This is the first time. My first impression was that the sound became a bit confined, but when I listened for a while I slowly began to realize that it is probably actually an improvement. I think I have to listen for a while to adjust my listening. I think it will show over time if this is an improvement. I think so. it should be.
It's possible that the extra bass of the Harman Curve might make it feel more closed in, my thoughts although I've not tested that theory. Having said that the slight reduction from 100Hz to 400Hz should make it sound less muddy which would counteract that effect to some extent, again just my intuition on it. Yeah, well see how you go with it! And it's true that your brain gets burned-in to your previous sounding headphone, so changes can be a bit jarring at first, particularly if you don't have "reference speakers" to compare against.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With the help of the jaakkopasan, I made a Harmand curve also for my Bayerdynamic DT 770. Same sound balance but different character compared to K702. It became clear at once how much better the AKG headphones are compared to the Bayerdynamic DT 770.
That's true, by EQ'ing headphones to the same frequency response I believe & in my experience you get to see the true strengths & weaknesses of the headphones in question.

Mulder

Forum Donor
Yeah, well see how you go with it! And it's true that your brain gets burned-in to your previous sounding headphone, so changes can be a bit jarring at first, particularly if you don't have "reference speakers" to compare against.
I installed the MathAudio headphone EQ plug-in for foobar2000 and made a curve for it, using your curve. MathAudio has the advantage that it has a bypass function which can be volume levelled. It makes it possible to make direct comparisons between with and without the curve, with the same volume level. It makes it also obvious that your curve is a clear improvement.

brimble

Forum Donor
Stax Sigma Pro, plus a spare pair because I love them so much

ItsFit Fusion and Unique Melody Miracle custom IEMs

Atratusnex

some changes happened...

now owend and gone
beyerdynamic t5p gen 1( barely any dynamics, tin like sound stage, murder highs ) - sold
akg k 7xx ( bassier (muddy) and smaller soundstage than the 702- worse for me in every way than looks.) - sold
beyerdynamic mmx 300 / dt 700 with mic ( only used for gaming, v shaped, grainy) - sold
beyerdynamic custom street ( dont use it that much) - gifted it to my mum

On-Headphone:
beyerdynamic t1 gen 1 ( with eq somewhat ok, still unsure if i will keep this one)
Unbenannt.JPG

Akg 702 ( love them, still the most used ones i own, very natural and true sounding for me )
Akg 612 ( similar to the akg 702 but with smaller sound stage ) modded them now with dakoni velour style pads and different damping. love it with oratory 1990 eq with small changes in 1 and 3 band gain adjustment + some air sounding great . ( band 1 = gain 1 db, band 3 = gain = -3 db) here
Unbenannt.JPG

Audiotechnica ath w 5000 ( measures like hell and sounds only with some music good to me, but for this music i will keep it) - will try to sell this one
Audioquest nighthawak ( measures very well in some parts but has some odd sounding, only used with some music needs eq) -will try to sell this one
Unbenannt.JPG

Akg 240 600 ohm modded ( fun modding project, somewhat u shaped now ) shure velour pads, no damping and bass mod.)
Koss esp 95x ( just very different, fucking great mids and highs) - sounds far better with oratory 1990 eq here
1more triple driver over ear ( very u shaped often the bass is just to much for me, like its highs.) now trying to eq it myself
Unbenannt.JPG

in-Headphones:
heir 4 ai ( very natural and true, akg k702 in iem shape)
KZ zs 10 pro ( quite good for its price, u shaped / eq`ed)
Unbenannt.JPG

tin t2 ( dont like them that much, mostly used for podcast)

Owned and sold many times more than this.

Last edited:

ksw1843

Below are what I have. Sometimes I feel like I need to get rid of a couple.

Headphones:
Focal Elex - My love and hate headphones. Heavy (I may need some neck training), but the sound! SMH
Sennheiser HD650 - Used to be my main headphones. Never going to sell it.
Sennheiser HD560s - Pre-ordered it and using these for past few days. I think I like these a lot.
Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO - I needed a closed back for night time.
AKG K712 Pro - I love the soundstage of these, but that is it sadly. Currently my gf's daughter is using it.

IEM:
Tin T4 - Bought it due to hype train. Not a bad IEM but I like ex800st more.
Sony MDR-ex800st - I am gonna use this until it breaks lol

Top Bottom