• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What does the hi-fi system look like on board a superyacht?

007Shortz

Scientists like Floyd Toole are interested in where people listen to their music. Options include live, in the car, at home via speakers or headphones. However, an oppressed minority is completely ignored. The superyacht owners!

How does a worn-out superyacht owner listen to music to unwind after a hard day's work? What kind of sound systems do the shipyards install in these ships? I suspect that turntables are not very popular on ships. But where are the speakers? And what kind of speakers are these?

I come from Bremen and we have two such superyacht shipyards (Lürssen and Abeking & Rasmussen) but I don't know anyone who works there.

Maybe the super rich don't listen to music, who knows?

If you want to find out more about this strange world of superyachts, I recommend the YT channel eSysman.

In case anyone doesn't understand what I'm racking my brains about, here's a little video (and no, I don't think every yacht has its own opera singer):

Last edited:
OP
007Shortz

007Shortz

I found a system for a 10 million euro yacht. For the main room it consists of:

2x Sonus Faber Custom Speakers
2x 12in Sonus Faber Custom Active Subwoofers
2x 10in Sonus Faber Custom Active Subwoofers
4x Sonus faber Palladio PC683 - three-way in-ceiling speakers
1x McIntosh MC255 – five-channel solid-state amplifier
1x McIntosh MC312 – two-channel solid-state amplifier
1x McIntosh MX170 A/V processor

Other rooms have smaller systems:

OP
007Shortz

007Shortz

Roman Abramowich's Solaris appears to have Burmester systems installed. Unfortunately there are hardly any pictures in the article, but it's still worth reading:

1709666540228.jpeg

M/Y Solaris - Roman Abramowich

Top Bottom