• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do floor standers really bring to the table?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Why should you have speakers that go down to 20 Hz if you do not listen to music that goes down to 20 Hz?.
Or 25Hz, 30, 35Hz? It costs money to dig deep. Isn't it better to spend the money on better speakers that perform better over (25-35 Hz) lowest frequency full registers vs a pair that is only ok as a full register 20-20kHz?

For example:
A pair of Elac Debut Reference DBR-62
(which is definitely more than ok)
US $ 600 plus sub för US $ 1200 which goes down to 20 - 25 Hz (based on the assumption successful integration with the Elac) vs a pair of Revel M106 bookshelf speakers, US $ 2,000?

Why should you have speakers that go over, for example, 15 000 Hz? Although it is a different matter, for a different thread regarding hearing and aging.

By the way, I'm annoyed that I did not buy ten used Peerless SLS 12" which were sold cheaply this summer. While I was counting on how much space they had taken up in my listening room, they were sold.They were sold in 20 minutes. Really cheap. I wanted to spank myself hard then.
Would have been nice in full-range speakers plus subwoofers.:)

Last edited:

TimoJ

Because the lowish to mid bass that you feel in the chest is really an impulse from the speakers, if the main part of that frequency is fed to subs in different locations you won't really feel it (unless you are using subs next to the speakers and also firing directly at you, of course).
"Chest slam" is the reason why you need large bass element for the main speakers. If you use small speakers and try to use subs to get similar effect, you would need to use very high crossover and that would otherwise sound bad and you still wouldn't get coherent "slam".

DanielT

Major Contributor
Then there is another aspect. Split the signal. Then, for example, a cheaper powerful amplifier is good (in many cases) enough for the subwoofers. This relieves the full range of speakers and the amplifier that drives them. Less risk of pushing the amplifier into clipping, for example, reduces the risk of distortion of the speakers (if smaller bookshelf speakers are used). Provided that sensible LP-HP filter and sensible sloping filter (what it is now called in English eg 24dB around 80-100 Hz) may exist. Split the signal in the digital domain.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Why should you have speakers that go down to 20 Hz if you do not listen to music that goes down to 20 Hz?.
Or 25Hz, 30, 35Hz? It costs money to dig deep. Isn't it better to spend the money on better speakers that perform better over (25-35 Hz) lowest frequency full registers vs a pair that is only ok as a full register 20-20kHz?

For example:
A pair of Elac Debut Reference DBR-62
(which is definitely more than ok)
US $ 600 plus sub för US $ 1200 which goes down to 20 - 25 Hz (based on the assumption successful integration with the Elac) vs a pair of Revel M106 bookshelf speakers, US $ 2,000?

Why should you have speakers that go over, for example, 15 000 Hz? Although it is a different matter, for a different thread regarding hearing and aging.

By the way, I'm annoyed that I did not buy ten used Peerless SLS 12" which were sold cheaply this summer. While I was counting on how much space they had taken up in my listening room, they were sold.They were sold in 20 minutes. Really cheap. I wanted to spank myself hard then.
Would have been nice in full-range speakers plus subwoofers.:)
Why buy expensive speakers with 90 % of the music produced now is bad : the loudness war.

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
just try it out. my room has a huge bass boost, so until 9Hz-ish I have clean frequencies

I'm curious whether you have measured the distortion levels? What sort of SPL did you try your 'fingers in ear' test at?

In my own room there is what I'd guess is some sort of structural resonance at just above 10 Hz, as you can see by the ripple in the compression test responses below, which were made at the MLP with an EQ profile I used for movies (subwoofer output only). Waterfall plots show a very long decay at the same frequency. As you'd expect, the distortion levels get pretty high if I push my humble single sub close to its limits!

S1510 Compression Test_peaked response.jpg

Here's the corresponding distortion data:

S1510 Compression Test Distortion.jpg

Edit: for context, here is an example measurement without EQ applied:

S1510 response from 3 Hz.jpg

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's another (somewhat) related question.
Good bookshelf speakers + a sub vs a slightly less good floorstander.
What would be better overall ?
Because quality bass makes up such an outsized portion of our subjective enjoyment (a third), the first option would be much better. With the bass dialed in perfectly we can even forgive, or "mask" some of the speaker's flaws.

Also, floor-standing speakers are not guaranteed to have more/better bass. They just can, if the designer wanted to make it so.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Because quality bass makes up such an outsized portion of our subjective enjoyment (a third), the first option would be much better. With the bass dialed in perfectly we can even forgive, or "mask" some of the speaker's flaws.

Also, floor-standing speakers are not guaranteed to have more/better bass. They just can, if the designer wanted to make it so.
Seems sensible, as long as there is a good integration between the Good bookshelf speakers + a sub

dasdoing

Major Contributor

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I still insist, the answer to OP's question should be contained in the difference between these two:
1634559433661.png

And here's the sum of it:
1634559467958.png

In the sense that all other differences are removed so we're talking only about the property of floor-standing as the sole difference. Here we could see precisely what towers bring to table.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Here we could see precisely what towers bring to table

volume? that was pretty obvious. though I was surprised the effect on LF extension is that big. is that a ported design?

I am guessing around 100dB - fairly typical for those types of experiments.

You can find many papers if interested. A lot of them looking at work place conditions of course.

but that is not realy the bass we are feeling right? the bass that I feel is not air induced, but I feel it on my feet (floor) and in my couch

Top Bottom