• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do floor standers really bring to the table?

DanielT

Major Contributor
I wasn't talking about speakers like the above, but I bet that my four 18" subs, each in an 8 cubic foot cabinet would beat the bass shit out of that Wilson and leave it as roadkill. No brag, just fact. :cool:
MakeMineVinyl. I love you.Or rather your woffers. Just what I want 4 pcs 18". Yummy.:)
Yngwie Malmsteen: less is more ... no more is more

I'm just going to get rid of my neighbors. Or move to out the country.

Then this bookshelf speakers plus sub or floorstanding. That is easy to solve. Floorstanding plus sub, of course.

If not already mentioned in the thread. Sub plus bookshelf / floorstanding. HP - LP filter. EQ sub. Otherwise, the sub may be meaningless and even aggravate the sound.

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic

It is not the 'floor standers' at fault; it is your your seat that is the wrong height.

This will depend on the seat, the listener and the particular speakers, just as it does with standmounts.

I have raisied floorstanding speakers up on little platforms in the past though.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right. If you want to feel the movie, that is, 30 Hz and down to 10 Hz, clearly there is only one way to get there.

Edit: Yes obviously if you want to feel certain frequencies, you need to reproduce those frequencies.

However:

I don't find it to be the case that without those frequencies I don't "feel" movies, even those that have deep bass in the track. I have a large center channel (Hales Transcendence) and stand mounted (Hales) speakers for L/R. Frequency response is about down to 40Hz, though with some more room lift I think due to positioning nearer the back wall.

I "feel" all the movies that have dynamic impact. T-Rex stomps. Feel 'em. Explosions? Feel 'em. There's plenty of content in the bass/upper bass range to provide impact for most sounds. Low drones. The room vibrates and I can feel it through my chest.

I found the same when comparing my floor standing speakers (spec'd to 35Hz) with and without subs. Was there a bit deeper bass with the subs? Yes. But I would say the speakers had more impact, subjectively, without the subs - bass guitar, kick drums, synth bass, you name it.
Could be a bit of room node going on, but in any case that was the subjective impressions.

Ultrasonic

what when the tweeter is too high though?
risers under the couch? lol

There is a difference between 'occasionally there might be a small issue' and 'it's always wrong'...

Floorstanding speakers also tend to be listened to from further away, where there will be a smaller variation in response with height than nearfield. I do think that speaker height is a factor often overlooked though.

Personally I've had pretty much the same issues regarding speaker height with standmounts as floorstanding speakers.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
oh yeah, i use my fllorstanding at 1.65m, with the R7 W-T-W configuration, i have the top woofer at ear level, lol.
I need to buy a thing to upgrade my sit for get -5cm, in my listening it's a big problem tho..

Ultrasonic

Floorstanders exist because you can't put a 12" or 15" woofer in a stand mount easily.

You can't put them in the vast majority of floorstanding speakers for sale either ;).

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
oh yeah, i use my fllorstanding at 1.65m, with the R7 W-T-W configuration, i have the top woofer at ear level, lol.
I need to buy a thing to upgrade my sit for get -5cm
That is some bORken English.. coming from a BrokenEnglishGuy! Apropos!

Ultrasonic

I need to buy a thing to upgrade my sit for get -5cm, in my listening it's a big problem tho..

A Kef R7 I guess? If so the coaxial tweeter/mid driver (Uni-Q) probably means you don't have too much to worry about I'd have thought?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Edit: Yes obviously if you want to feel certain frequencies, you need to reproduce those frequencies.

However:

I don't find it to be the case that without those frequencies I don't "feel" movies, even those that have deep bass in the track. I have a large center channel (Hales Transcendence) and stand mounted (Hales) speakers for L/R. Frequency response is about down to 40Hz, though with some more room lift I think due to positioning nearer the back wall.

I "feel" all the movies that have dynamic impact. T-Rex stomps. Feel 'em. Explosions? Feel 'em. There's plenty of content in the bass/upper bass range to provide impact for most sounds. Low drones. The room vibrates and I can feel it through my chest.

I found the same when comparing my floor standing speakers (spec'd to 35Hz) with and without subs. Was there a bit deeper bass with the subs? Yes. But I would say the speakers had more impact, subjectively, without the subs - bass guitar, kick drums, synth bass, you name it.
Could be a bit of room node going on, but in any case that was the subjective impressions.

personaly I never understood that feelling bass thing. you don't feel bass unless it's a havy roommode shaking your floor. I can throw in a 10Hz sine wave and stop to hear it when putting my fingers in my ears

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sure you can feel the midbass punch. I don't doubt that.

I'm talking about low bass rumble. The kind that shakes your seat and puts you IN the movie. Some of us enjoy that very much :)

Those frequencies tend to just be getting started at 30 Hz and extend down to 15 Hz. You need a decent amount of output there to get those effects up to a noticeable level.

Top Bottom