• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

zeropoint

I have a National Panasonic GX-300 radio which I received as a gift from my dad many decades ago, and it's still pretty much as new and going strong. Great radio. Was the first radio I had with very decent sound quality courtesy of the large dual concentric speaker.
iu

Not a picture of my radio, just one taken off the internet

Last edited:

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly, probably apochraphal:

"The whole nine yards" or "the full nine yards" is a colloquial American English phrase meaning "everything, the whole lot" or, when used as an adjective, "all the way."[1]

Its first usage was the punch line of an 1855 Indiana comedic short story titled "The Judge's Big Shirt."[2]

The earliest known idiomatic use of the phrase is from 1907 in Southern Indiana.[3] The phrase is related to the expression the whole six yards, used around the same time in Kentucky and South Carolina. Both phrases are variations on the whole ball of wax, first recorded in the 1880s.[4] They are part of a family of expressions in which an odd-sounding item, such as enchilada, shooting match, shebang or hog, is substituted for ball of wax.[4] The choice of the number nine may be related to the expression "To the nines" (to perfection).

Use of the phrase became widespread in the 1980s and 1990s. Much of the interest in the phrase's etymology can be attributed to New York Times language columnist William Safire, who wrote extensively on this question.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The origin of that whole "nine yards" thing is actually quite murky.

Somafunk

Major Contributor

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Everyone should own at least one Alfa Romeo in their lifetime

39563875.gtv6_esperance_3.jpg

This was my 1983 Alfa GTV6. Not as beautiful as the 105 series GTA / GTV 1300 pictured earlier. The engine blew up and I sold the car to Danny Ricciardo's father. Danny is the F1 driver. He came to my house with his son. Of course, Danny was a nobody at the time so I didn't even know if it was him or another son. Danny's dad owned an Alfa and was a member of the Alfa club, which is how I knew him.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I had one Fada radio at one point -- but it 1) wasn't Catalin and 2) wasn't particularly interesting looking (nor valuable). :facepalm:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had one Fada radio at one point -- but it 1) wasn't Catalin and 2) wasn't particularly interesting looking (nor valuable). :facepalm:
yeah some of those go high $4-figures. Always wanted to find one cheap.

Top Bottom