• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted to post something from the 80s into this thread, but I really have a hard time thinking of a product from that era that had a particularly timeless design. Sure we had the Walkmans, Atari's, Nintendos, etc... but if I am being honest... they're all a bit homely. The only two products that sprang to mind were the

ZXSpectrum computer

View attachment 96068

And the Swatch Watch

View attachment 96069

Anyone else for great 80s design examples?

For the ‘80’s, this was the IT watch: the Ebel Sport Classic Chronograph. Zenith El Primero movement, 36,000 beats/hour, about 40% more expensive that the comparable Rolex Daytona at the time. The ultimate 80’s watch. Frank Dernie has one from the same year, but his is waaaay cooler than mine because of how it came to him.

front.jpg

IMG_6211.JPG

Rick “a great example of classic-meets-innovative design” Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sticking with things I have owned or still own:

The 1984 Audi 5000 (I followed that up with an ‘87):

IMG_6363.JPG

(Photo from web)

1973 GMC Motor Home. Still the only motor home built by a Big Three carmaker entirely in their own factory and entirely by their own design. Front-wheel-drive from the Olds Toronado/Cadillac Eldorado of the day.

IMG_0070.JPG

As it should look (mine is a work in progress, this one is in the GMC Heritage Fleet):

Factory-coach.JPG

And cameras were brought up. Here is my favorite portable camera for sheer functional and beautiful design (no, I am not a minimalist):

Pentax_6x7_Austin_Calhoon_Photograph_front.jpg

And my beloved Sinar P view camera:

IMG_7618.JPG

This is a gear-driven advance on the astounding modular Sinar Norma, which is probably a better example of beautiful industrial design, but I don’t own one.

Rick “a pleasure to use as well as look at” Denney

digicidal

Major Contributor
Not sure if cars counts here, but....

Of course they do, and Koenigsegg has some remarkable designs! The automotive industry as a whole is an obvious and tangible demonstration of the constant struggle to improve both the practical and the aesthetic aspects of a product. Although that industry is also becoming a demonstration of how focusing too much on safety, efficiency, economy, and convenience - results in ubiquitous designs with very little beauty to be found. :rolleyes:

But then again... millions of SUV fans might see that differently, I suppose? :cool:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OH MAN, how I always loved those toploaders. Don't remember ever seeing this one before, any idea on the model number?
EDIT, never mind, a little googling nailed it. Yamaha GT-CD1

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OH MAN, how I always loved those toploaders.
Me too!
I have owned some and the big problem is most of them seem to rely on the user to put a clamp on the CD before they play it.
Some people absentmindedly forget. Don't ask me how I know...
My daily user is top load but has the disc clamp carried by the lid, so I don't need to remember any more. It is 25 years old now.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Awesome Ducati! V-Twin bikes rule for sure.
I bought a Ducati 900 Monster new in 1994, loved it till it tried to kill me by going into a 100+ mph tank slapper, I have no idea how I survived it that day. Sold it for a new 98 1200 Buell Cyclone. My last ride was a 2006 Harley V-Rod that we did some very nasty engine work on. Here's a clip of the day I got it out of the crate. Had to give up the hot rod bikes when my back went south on me a few years back, Really sucks to get old.
M31.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom