• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1618141470208.png

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Feast your eyes on my Vespa Piaggio Sfera then. Made in 1993, less than 9000km on the clock. Won some design prices apparently:

1.jpg

Matching Kipferl and coffee:
snack.jpeg

Got it from an older gentleman. Feels like new.

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Resistance is futile.
borg cube.jpg

Loathecliff

Always liked the no-nonsense industrial designs of Peter J. Walker and Henry Kloss.

View attachment 123288

Being picky:- At some point that advert image was reversed.
Plus the ESL is too close to the wall.

A friend once bought an esl57 for a £1.
The secondhand shop owner thought it was a heater but couldn't get it to work.
Friend then paid proper money for another.
I'd have stayed mono. One must have principles :rolleyes:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome Ducati! V-Twin bikes rule for sure.
I bought a Ducati 900 Monster new in 1994, loved it till it tried to kill me by going into a 100+ mph tank slapper, I have no idea how I survived it that day. Sold it for a new 98 1200 Buell Cyclone. My last ride was a 2006 Harley V-Rod that we did some very nasty engine work on. Here's a clip of the day I got it out of the crate. Had to give up the hot rod bikes when my back went south on me a few years back, Really sucks to get old.
View attachment 123354
I’m glad the motorcycle bug never bit me. Too easy to go too fast, and too unforgiving of mistakes.

Beautiful to look at, though.

Rick “whose Adrenalin fixes came with four wheels” Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow!
I thought about building one of the replicas 30 years ago or so but ended up buying a TVR Griffith instead, similar idea and more rain proof but this is a stunner!

That is one of the prettiest 427 Cobras I’ve seen, and I’ve seen a number of them. But the replicas are so close it’s hard to know for sure. I’ve seen a few of the replicas, too.

I like a 427-powered Sunbeam Tiger, too, though it is an evil-handling thing. (I’m pretty sure the one I test-drove had a 427 side-oiler.)

My favorite British car with American muscle was a ‘73 Triumph Stag with a small-block Chevy 327. Looked great and handled better than the Tiger. A buddy of mine bought it as a parts car for the authentic ‘73 he was restoring, but it was so fun we left it as is. I might have bought it from him but that would probably have landed me in prison for repeat traffic offenses.

The Killer Corolla was so stupid-looking that I could drive it around in full race trim with open headers and the cops just wouldn’t believe what they saw. That was before every gang-banger had a hot-rod Japanese econobox.

Rick “halcyon days...” Denney

simbloke

Forum Donor
That is one of the prettiest 427 Cobras I’ve seen, and I’ve seen a number of them. But the replicas are so close it’s hard to know for sure. I’ve seen a few of the replicas, too.
It looked fairly well worn (seats etc) on the inside so if it's a replica, then it must be a good few years old. The bodywork however looked perfect.
I put all the pics together: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yWCK2fAnHQd8Dbac8

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Seen this a couple of times in the local M&S car park. I'm no expert but I think it's the real thing.
I highly doubt it. If it was the real thing it's worth well over a million $, not something that gets driven on the street or left to sit in a car park. Next time you see it just go up and tap it or feel the fender edge. If it's aluminum it's real, fiberglass is a repro.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like an auto gearshift (?) so probably replica. Even as a replica it could easily be 30 years old.

Nah, that’s a Hurst shifter. Period appropriate for a Ford top-loader. May not be original, but a common enough “upgrade”.

I first saw a replica Stallion more like 45 years ago. They were expensive to build.

Rick “popular with drag racers” Denney

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nah, that’s a Hurst shifter. Period appropriate for a Ford top-loader. May not be original, but a common enough “upgrade”.
I first saw a replica Stallion more like 45 years ago. They were expensive to build.
Anything running a Ford driveline has always been expensive to build, specially the engines. You can put together a bigblock Chevy for half the cost of Ford. Just the result of supply-demand.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything running a Ford driveline has always been expensive to build, specially the engines. You can put together a bigblock Chevy for half the cost of Ford. Just the result of supply-demand.
One of the youtube car channels has a cliche saying. "On a long enough time line, every car ends up with an LS motor".

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It wasn’t the driveline that was expensive, though I’m not disputing what you say. It was the frame—it had custom frame parts that had to be fitted and welded by an expert, as I remember it.

The last one I saw had a Ford 429 with four Weber downdraft carbs. Driver was not up to the task and nearly killed himself on the road course at Texas World Speedway.

Rick “who only spun out on that course once” Denney

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
well, the OP with the Cobra pic is from the UK where there's a crapton of kit car companies, at least half of whom building Cobra sets also, so i guess the chances of it being an original are pretty much close to none

Top Bottom