• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If it's aluminium it might be real - a few kit manufacturers have sold aluminium bodies over the years.
Now that sucker would have been a pricey kit car.!
If only I had a wad of cash like that.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I highly doubt it. If it was the real thing it's worth well over a million $, not something that gets driven on the street or left to sit in a car park. Next time you see it just go up and tap it or feel the fender edge. If it's aluminum it's real, fiberglass is a repro.
You beat me to the aluminum check. I saw one recently that was carbon fiber.
As to some talk about fender flares, the Shelby 427 Cobra's had'em, the USAC 289's (which 'handled better' due to not so much weight in the front & less weight overall) did not. Today, an unrestored original Shelby 427 Cobra for sale will start at over one million dollars. As these cars get older, inevitably a few will be lost from theft and forces of nature. Because there were only 998 Cobras built by Shelby American, to call them scarce is an understatement. For a long time, the AC Cobra prices were directly proportional to their Big Block brothers. The team delivered 655 AC Cobras riding on leaf springs with Small Block power. Considering the original AC Cobra prices reflect their leaf-spring chassis, the coil-spring design that underpins every Shelby 427 Cobra makes it much more confident over broken pavement. At the time of press, the 289 Shelby Cobra price is just shy of one million dollars. AC Cobra prices have stayed under seven figures because of continuation cars, so they will remain in the shadow of the Shelby Cobra 427 price. When you consider $7,500 for the Shelby Cobra original price, they are a great investment. As of March 2021, an original Shelby Cobra 427 price was nearly six million dollars. Shelby 427 Cobra: imagine incredible power, sound, heat, and vibration in one package. It turns well for an old car, but you really feel the 600-lb engine as the center of gravity. Being so nose-heavy, plan your maneuvers well in advance, and be ready for adversity. A 5-point harness and a helmet are recommended. The Shelby 427 Cobra was only available with a manual transmission. Ford’s Top Loader 4-speed is nearly indestructible, and the hydraulic clutch linkage was easy to modulate. Beefy synchros can be felt through the shifter, and the close ratios make it easy to drive without using the clutch. Aside from adding carpet, the original Cobra interior was carried over from the AC Ace. It offers two leather seats without headrests, a massive wood steering wheel, all necessary gauges, and an ignition switch. A rollover hoop was optional for the driver. Designed for the average Englishman in the early 50’s, it is a tight squeeze for many. An offset pedal box and lack of a roof are common grievances. Perhaps the most copied car of all time, there are a dozen companies that offer reproductions of the Shelby 427 Cobra. One reason is that the price of an authentic Shelby Cobra is unreachable by the average enthusiast. Every original Cobra has a unique 4-digit code.
1618185323656.png

Starting with the first production car “CSX 2000”, every authentic car is known as a CSX Cobra. Carroll Shelby and his team kept incredible records of each car, so validating a Shelby Cobra CSX number is as easy as a phone call. A real Shelby Cobra is worth a fortune in any condition, while replicas rise and fall with the market.
The beauty that simbloke has shown us (and it is beautiful, I looked at all of the photos of it)) has a B&M auto shifter, has some funky-ness to the fender flairs (especially the front ones), has an AC badge in front of the hood (real Shelby Cobra 427's has a badge that is a depiction of a cobra), and has lug nuts on the wheel rims (real Shelby Cobras 427's had center mount wheels). Because they where 'bespoke' cars, there are many individual touches that were done for various customers but none of these things are one of those that were done for individual customers.
And then there was Shelby's personal twin supercharged Super Snake:
1618188230504.png

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure enough, that’s a B&M shifter. Looks just like a Hurst V-matic.

Rick “hadn’t thought about B&M in a very long time” Denney

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about the classic Moccamaster filter machine.

1618197253754.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's see, I wanta price a new all aluminum Cobra with a 525HP GM LS3 crate motor, and a Tremec T56 six speed box.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chev...-LS376-585-LS-Crate-Engine-525-HP,374046.html
Take care of that for me will ya Dennis! :eek:
The place near me discontinued their aluminum models and now only make the glass ones. As I recall they were about $125k finished. They did have a Tremec/LS option.

https://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/products.shtml

Kirkham makes them, but I don't know pricing. They also do 40 Ford convertibles and Daytona Coupes.

I've seen various low production custom bodies various times. Saw one a couple years back. Complete rolling chassis needing engine, transmission, paint and cosmetic finishing for $85K. Workmanship on it looked super. So not cheap, but not a million bucks.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the corn-popper 2 stroke that powered it...

Saab corn-popper 2 stroke engine.jpg

Cider

I see some two-wheel fans here. I was very proud of the SV track bike I built. Lots of good times with that bike, until one day I cartwheeled it into oblivion :)

Stock SV650:
IMG_4516.jpeg

SV track bike (plastics and seat removed):
_MG_4334.jpeg

With plastics:
_MG_4387 (1).jpeg

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If Jags, I've always been fond of the XJ Sport

View attachment 123958

Yes, one of the loveliest cars ever made. As an example of industrial design, not so sure. Functionality in these wasn’t perfect. For what appeared to be a big car, it was surprisingly cramped on the inside.

I always wanted one but the deal came to me on an ‘84 Audi 5000 instead. That was also beautifully designed—the first car that I would call tautly designed. But it was also functional. And when I did the wrenching, it was apparent that it was designed by people who like to work on cars. That aspect was lost by the time they made the overdesigned (but beautiful) 2006 A6 wagon we owned for a while—that car was nearly impossible to work on, and it needed it all too often.

Rick “thankfully cured of the need to drive beautiful cars” Denney

Top Bottom