• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the sound signatures of Hifiman HE400i and Grado SR60i? Finding my personal preference...

shaney777

What are the sound signatures of Hifiman HE400i and Grado SR60i? A post on SBAF has the HE400i as being U-shaped. Is that accurate? The reason I ask is because, to my ears, the HE400i has recessed mids, and I really don't believe I enjoy the sound signature after coming from Grado SR60i. I assume they have very forward mids? Set me straight on this!

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What you hear from your headphones is unique to you, due to the anatomy of your ears. A U shaped signature means the FR of the headphones to a target such as Harman Curve. I wouldn't worry about the sound signature on a particular headphone as long as you can hear what you like off them. Besides you can EQ them to your preference as it suits your needs.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Depends on which HE400i you mean (the pads).
The original HE400i is bass light (not bass shy). Is a bit too 'laid-back' as in lacking clarity/forward sound of SR60 and has smooth but sharpish treble up top.
Grado is bass shy, overly 'forward/clear' sounding with sharp elevated treble.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find generic descriptions of sound profiles less than helpful.

As the dude of solder say, depends on which versions of each HP you are talking about but a quick look at the FR of each measured on the same rig speaks volumes.

SR60e https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6l73ut2b02f4lc/Grado SR60e.pdf?dl=0
400i 2020 https://www.dropbox.com/s/ld9y8k3r67ikujw/Hifiman HE400i (2020).pdf?dl=0

Looking at the top left chart of each PDF and even ignoring the blue Harman target line, I can far easier relate what I see to how @solderdude describes the sound than any attempt to align either to a letter of the alphabet.

Comparatively and absolutely the Grado has a massive upper mid/ treble boost and zero bass. The Hifiman is far more even. If you are used to/ enjoy that level of 2-4k action then yes, the 400i will sound a bit lifeless.

Neither look very much like a U, V, W or any other letter of the alphabet.

OP
S

shaney777

What you hear from your headphones is unique to you, due to the anatomy of your ears. A U shaped signature means the FR of the headphones to a target such as Harman Curve. I wouldn't worry about the sound signature on a particular headphone as long as you can hear what you like off them. Besides you can EQ them to your preference as it suits your needs.
What is FR? :)

OP
S

shaney777

Depends on which HE400i you mean (the pads).
The original HE400i is bass light (not bass shy). Is a bit too 'laid-back' as in lacking clarity/forward sound of SR60 and has smooth but sharpish treble up top.
Grado is bass shy, overly 'forward/clear' sounding with sharp elevated treble.
It's the 2016. Is there more than one version of the 2016? Mine is the 3.5mm, if that makes a difference.
When you say clarity, do you mean resolution/detail/transparency? I was under the assumption that HE400i should be a much better headphone than SR60i. Entry level vs. mid-fi, right?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
S

shaney777

I find generic descriptions of sound profiles less than helpful.

As the dude of solder say, depends on which versions of each HP you are talking about but a quick look at the FR of each measured on the same rig speaks volumes.

SR60e https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6l73ut2b02f4lc/Grado SR60e.pdf?dl=0
400i 2020 https://www.dropbox.com/s/ld9y8k3r67ikujw/Hifiman HE400i (2020).pdf?dl=0

Looking at the top left chart of each PDF and even ignoring the blue Harman target line, I can far easier relate what I see to how @solderdude describes the sound than any attempt to align either to a letter of the alphabet.

Comparatively and absolutely the Grado has a massive upper mid/ treble boost and zero bass. The Hifiman is far more even. If you are used to/ enjoy that level of 2-4k action then yes, the 400i will sound a bit lifeless.

Neither look very much like a U, V, W or any other letter of the alphabet.
Wow, thank you for the links. This is cool! How can I find all the headphones tested? I would like to see what has the highest listener preference.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom