• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are insects doing?

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Not photography but video. I’ve been exploring the limits of an iPhone 6 and making some short nature documentaries. Using the app FiLMiC Pro on the iPhone and then editing in LumaFusion. Music composed in GarageBand.

There is a lot going on when you get close, especially if you watch in 1080p HD!

Katji

Major Contributor
Sometimes I've wondered, when audiophiles talk about an amp being "musical", how it applies to field recordings. And "the Artist's Intention".
Or the insects recording leads to someone saying their DAC makes a buzzing sound with hi-res tracks.

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Really cool stuff. A 6 year old phone did that... wowowzah.
I use an iPhone 6 and I take many images... you could think - not always -that I've used a camera...
The images taken by Caught Gesture are beautiful... it was a pleasure to see them... plus the music was well chosen...

Last edited:
OP
caught gesture

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I use an iPhone 6 and I take many images... you could think - not always -that I've used a camera...
The images taken by Caught Gesture are beautiful... it was a pleasure to see them... plus the music was well chosen...
Thanks! I composed the music using GarageBand and tried to use the style of music to suit the insect activity. It worked better on some of the videos than others.

OP
caught gesture

caught gesture

Forum Donor

My latest effort. I took a walk around the field Sunday morning before it got too hot. I then edited and composed the music. The whole process took about five hours!

Last edited:
OP
caught gesture

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I made another short video.

OP
caught gesture

caught gesture

Forum Donor
It has been a while since I made a video and then I found this amazing insect this morning. Still using the same tools.

OP
caught gesture

caught gesture

Forum Donor

I‘m still using the same equipment, old iPhone, iPad, LumaFusion and GarageBand. As I have so much fun making these videos, I am thinking of upgrading from the iPhone 6 to something better. I’m investigating buying a used Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 paired with a used Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 60 mm f/2.8 lens. I do wonder though if it is the limits of what I already have that forces me to be more creative which, in turn, is what provides the satisfaction.

OP
caught gesture

caught gesture

Forum Donor

It has been a while. I had a few hours free this afternoon and made this.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
Not photography but video. I’ve been exploring the limits of an iPhone 6 and making some short nature documentaries. Using the app FiLMiC Pro on the iPhone and then editing in LumaFusion. Music composed in GarageBand.

There is a lot going on when you get close, especially if you watch in 1080p HD!
Mostly sex on six legs.

Soandso

There is significant published reports that insects interact with plants in a way involving vibrational frequencies. I will mention only 3 examples here.

Back in 1996 "The Natural History of Pollination" determined that many plant species' flowers selectively release their own pollen for specific frequencies of vibration from only certain pollinator's flight muscles; whereas do not release pollen for insects they didn't similarly co-evolve with.

Leaf chewing insect herbivores are recognized by a plant differently than a leaf puncturing insect, or for that matter a piece broken on a leaf. (2021) "Ensembles of the Leaf Trichomes of Arabidopsis thaliana Selectively Vibrate in the Frequency Range of it's Primary Insect Herbivore" details how the nuances of a particular caterpillar's chewing excites a frequency and resonances. The authors mention a reference report (#15) that played an insect pest's audio recording showed a similar finding of plant responding.

Last I will mention an Indonesian (or Malaysian? ) report that I came across years ago, but unfortunately haven't kept a citation for posting (shall look again). It determined that a local cricket's chirp sound increased a subject plant's (mung bean sprout? cucumber?) productivity. The team assessed the cricket's range of frequencies, recorded specific ones, played the different audio signals and charted differential plant growth responses.

Edit: I have not been able to find the citation for my last example. I did however come across reports (without complete data) of experiments suggesting crickets ("jangkrik") produce a beneficial plant action because of their chirps' decible level being suitably predominant around the frequency of +/- 4,500 Hz, including a peak stimulator frequency of 4,747 Hz.

Last edited:
OP
caught gesture

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Made another this evening…

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I made another short video.
It has been a while. I had a few hours free this afternoon and made this.
Does the "Butterfly Effect" apply equally to the bees, as well?:facepalm:
202306_ButterflyEff.png

Some say bees should not be able to fly.
I don't know how true that is but I think they are the true "crash-landing dummies"!
"Bees crashing into each other while Ave Maria plays in the background"

Last edited:

Soandso

Does the "Butterfly Effect" apply equally to the bees, as well?:facepalm:
View attachment 292318
Some say bees should not be able to fly.
I don't know how true that is but I think they are the true "crash-landing dummies"!
"Bees crashing into each other while Ave Maria plays in the background"
Varroa destructor mites can be found on some, but not all, of bees in a hive. When those bees hosting the mites fly out of the hive some never return and among those that do their orientation upon approaching the hive can be impaired. Those somewhere lost to the hive help the colony hold down mite levels [apparently some infested individual bees also make it back with lower mite counts and even lose all their mites].

Honey bees return from afar using a sequence of tactics and when less than 1 meter from the hive that mode is supposed to be visual. Maybe those videoed bumping their heads are bees just moderately infested with Varroa destructor.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe those videoed bumping their heads are bees just moderately infested with Varroa destructor.
Yes, Way above my pay-scale as well.
Wish @Frank Dernie was here to set us both straight!
I've never heard of wind-tunnel or CFD test results on bees near stall speeds...

Top Bottom