• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What’s your goal in system building?

dortreo

With all the time I’ve spent stuck at home the last few months, I’ve become obsessed again with audio equipment and system upgrades. This site doesn’t help.

As I’ve been on an upgrade tear, I’ve been thinking through what my goals are for the systems I’m building and am wondering what your goals are when you decide to purchase equipment and change out your audio systems. What makes you pull the trigger on a new piece of audio equipment and what are you trying to achieve?

For me, it comes down to

- The potential for higher sound quality (e.g., rich smooth bass integrated with non-harsh treble, strong imaging and detail), which has driven the purchase of subwoofers to complement audio-only systems
- Low noise floor, which has led to a switch to Hypex amps and Benchmark / RME DACs
- Ease of use, which has led to Roon-based streaming
- High spousal acceptance factor, which has led to KEF LS50 wireless in our everyday system and Belkin / APC power conditioners for 12V trigger capabilities for “one touch” operation
- High bang for buck, which has led to Tripp power cords and Blue Jeans cables

Also, when you build a system, how do you think about voicing for different music types (e.g., a rock-based vs. a jazz-based system)?

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Also, when you build a system, how do you think about voicing for different music types (e.g., a rock-based vs. a jazz-based system)?
I think the way a system handles female vocals is very important, and also how a solo piano sounds. Speaker placement within the room is paramount. I tend to favor getting as close to near-field listening as I can given that many rooms will have constraints. Powered monitors with active crossovers can have advantages. I tend to prefer non-DSP monitors like the Focal Shape. I have the RME also.

F1308

Major Contributor
If I just could believe the parts to join are not fakes...
DMMAD.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Right now it's to save dollars for better speakers and subs.

The rest of the time it's learning and pipedreaming an ideal room and ideal gear.

BillG

Major Contributor

I don't think about voicing in a genre specific way, but rather how audibly transparent my system will be. Once I've got that worked out, any voicing I may desire is a matter for DSP in the form of EQ and effects processing; give me transducers and an amp with enough headroom, a computer with enough processing power, and I can make my system sound however I like with DSP.

B

OP
dortreo

dortreo

I don't think about voicing in a genre specific way, but rather how audibly transparent my system will be. Once I've got that worked out, any voicing I may desire is a matter for DSP in the form of EQ and effects processing; give me transducers and an amp with enough headroom, a computer with enough processing power, and I can make my system sound however I like with DSP.

B
What kind of DSP set-up do you use? I’ve done some room correction using REW and have a rudimentary house curve generated with the parametric equalizer in Roon.

OP
dortreo

dortreo

If I just could believe the parts to join are not fakes...
DMMAD.
Has this been an issue? I assume that many of the Chinese DACs are imitations of each other.

DMMAD?

BillG

Major Contributor
What kind of DSP set-up do you use? I’ve done some room correction using REW and have a rudimentary house curve generated with the parametric equalizer in Roon.

A variety of plug-ins dependent upon my mood actually, but the vast majority of the time I'm using the following on an X86 computer:

For EQ, Room and otherwise to taste, I use Equalizer APO via the Peace interface. For Room/Amplifier Simulation, I use impulse files and convultion filters within it.

I've got a few iZotope plug-ins around that I'll occasionally activate as well for Tube Amp and Room Simulation. However I've been using them a lot less since I've learned my way around Equalizer APO with Peace.

Top Bottom