• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

questions regarding specs on equipment not tested here.

Panasonic

I have been reading ASR for a few years now and have become a big fan. It's been a real education in my audio evolution and has influenced how I look at various products. As I seek out a system that will be more appropriate for my near senior status i.e. not heavy amplifiers and more simplicity I am especially interested in equipment that has really good specifications. But to find those specs.? This site is great, but doesn't have enough of a database to cover the many numerous brands out there.
In particular, I would like to find a preamplifier, maybe a little more "elegant" than say the nicely measuring Topping pre 90. I have been able to find manufacturer data, but they often only list, as in the case of the McIntosh C47 preamp THD .005%, not the rigorous, more detailed measurements of ASR.
So ultimately I'd like an entire system that measures really well with good build quality and simplicity (no tubes!). As of late, I've been interested in preamps with no LCD screens as I see those as a weak link and possibility of early failure; you know the screen goes blank or in the case of LED some of the sections go out. So how do you folks out there find non-ASR tested, high-measuring equipment?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have been reading ASR for a few years now and have become a big fan. It's been a real education in my audio evolution and has influenced how I look at various products. As I seek out a system that will be more appropriate for my near senior status i.e. not heavy amplifiers and more simplicity I am especially interested in equipment that has really good specifications. But to find those specs.? This site is great, but doesn't have enough of a database to cover the many numerous brands out there.
In particular, I would like to find a preamplifier, maybe a little more "elegant" than say the nicely measuring Topping pre 90. I have been able to find manufacturer data, but they often only list, as in the case of the McIntosh C47 preamp THD .005%, not the rigorous, more detailed measurements of ASR.
So ultimately I'd like an entire system that measures really well with good build quality and simplicity (no tubes!). As of late, I've been interested in preamps with no LCD screens as I see those as a weak link and possibility of early failure; you know the screen goes blank or in the case of LED some of the sections go out. So how do you folks out there find non-ASR tested, high-measuring equipment?
What's your price range?
How would you feel about a Benchmark LA4?
If you really don't want a screen you might look at a Parasound P6
Just a couple ideas off the top..
I'm sure many others will come.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR.

The dearth of similarly rigorous, consistent, and transparently communicated independent testing is one of the chief things that makes ASR so unique and appealing.

Other good quality sources are Erin's Audio Corner (he only does speakers though, I think), No Audiophile (seems to have gone dormant?), and Stereophile.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Measurements do not equal specs. Specs are basically a 'guaranteed' worst-case number. Measurements are what one instance of a product shows.

Manufacturer web sites are the best place to find specs.

ASR is one of the few places where actual measurements can be found.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Audioholics is also a source of test-based gear reviews fwiw.

Sometimes with enough tested gear from a brand by third parties you can get a feel for accuracy of their own ratings rather than get one (i.e. a third party test) for every model....

Are you designing a system or changing an existing one?

radix

Major Contributor

In my (limited compared to many here) experience, McIntosh specs are pretty accurate, especially when used as "worst case" specs. But McIntosh does not go for the absolute max stats, but offers other things like system integration, usability, looks (at least their look), dependability, etc. with pretty good but often not SOTA stats.

I picked the Anthem STR preamp for my main system, as it has renamable inputs and DRC (arc genesis). It has a nice screen that normally just shows volume and it's dimmable. The iphone app is so-so, but really I just use it for remote on/off and volume at times when not using the Sofa Baton (or it's own remote). It measures pretty well (https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/anthem-str-preamp-power-amplifier/p2).

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I'd like an entire system that measures really well
That implies that it has to be measured. Either here or somewhere else, but with similar scrutiny. So, unless the product is measured already, there is no way to deduce measurements from specs, as explained.

On the other hand, do you really need that? If you go by specs, assuming they are correct, you can find a good enough performance, or audibly transparent.

Finally, if you are fixed on that goal, maybe try to organize buying stuff and sending to Amir and if it doesn't measure well, sending it back, within a return timeframe? Unfortunately, with Amir's backlog of stuff to be tested, it might be logistical impossibility.

OP
Panasonic

Panasonic

Thank you for all the thoughtful responses! The idea of using a DAC with volume control may be a possibility especially considering that they are a popular component for testing especially on ASR.

@Sal1950: My price range would be in the $2000 to $4000 range. You mentioned the Parasound P6. Is the recommendation based on measurements?

The Bryston BP 17 cubed or Musical Fidelity M6S are the type of preamps I'd be interested in, however I don't know if they measure well. What I like about a preamp like those is the simplicity: big volume knob, without any readout display boards that may as stated earlier be a problem area over time.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for all the thoughtful responses! The idea of using a DAC with volume control may be a possibility especially considering that they are a popular component for testing especially on ASR.

@Sal1950: My price range would be in the $2000 to $4000 range. You mentioned the Parasound P6. Is the recommendation based on measurements?

The Bryston BP 17 cubed or Musical Fidelity M6S are the type of preamps I'd be interested in, however I don't know if they measure well. What I like about a preamp like those is the simplicity: big volume knob, without any readout display boards that may as stated earlier be a problem area over time.

Looks like it measures pretty well to me. Maybe not SOTA these days, but nothing of any concern audibly.

This Benchmark does have a display, but measures better than the Bryston for less money.

Having seen their gear tested over the years I'd generally trust Benchmark and Bryston specs. In this case Stereophile has tested both.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You mentioned the Parasound P6. Is the recommendation based on measurements?
Sorry, No I couldn't find any for you.
Just traditionally good designed gear.

Top Bottom