• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Diamond 12 Owner's Thread

knownothing

These days it is dead easy to design a DAC with a Sinad >100, so that would be a low bar. Frequency response should be flat within 0.2 dB, which once again is easy. Finally, jitter is rarely an issue. Amir has measured many $100 DACs that are audibly perfect, and easily beat the threshold of human hearing acuity. Another interesting example would be the inbuilt DAC of the discontinued Chromecast Audio. Archimago's measurements have shown that it is sonically perfect. Admittedly my RME ADI-2 measures better, but can I hear the difference? Of course not. DACs are the best part of the chain, and not worth worrying about.
That’s a nice DAC that measures well. I imagine you are really enjoying it.

Willem

Major Contributor
Ys, it measures very well, and much better than human hearing. I bought it for two othe reasons. The first was build quality and support. Both are impeccable. The second is its extensive capabilities like tone and balance controls, dynamic loudness, parametric filters, and much more. There is nothing like it on the market.

munin

Incredible! Do we know if the 12.2 measures as well as the 12.1?
Surely they have more authority in the lower ranges because of their size and larger driver.
Tbh I couldn't find measurement of this speaker. But as they are just a bigger version of the 12.1, I was thinking that they will be just better in the low end. I took this risk and I am happy with this choice. They are good performers for my hearing.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the Audioquest Dragonfly Red which has a SINAD measurement of 89db might not be “fine”, but a Chord Mojo 2 with a SINAD measurement of 110db might be “fine”?
Nobody said anything like that, what are you arguing for?
If you want to make a point, make it a clear one.

knownothing

Nobody said anything like that, what are you arguing for?
If you want to make a point, make it a clear one.
My apologies. I quoted the wrong statement from you. You said previously: “Sure, >90 is fine”. My response was: “So the Audioquest Dragonfly Red which has a SINAD measurement of 89db might not be “fine”, but a Chord Mojo 2 with a SINAD measurement of 110db might be “fine”?”

kn

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You said previously: “Sure, >90 is fine”. My response was: “So the Audioquest Dragonfly Red which has a SINAD measurement of 89db might not be “fine”, but a Chord Mojo 2 with a SINAD measurement of 110db might be “fine”?”
8lidpy.jpg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ManuMaker

Hello people, I have a question, I was almost determined to buy these speakers, I have a NAD 50w stereo, a Polk 10" 200watt subwoofer and a loxjie d30 dac, until I saw Erin's review where he says that it has low or slow attack, my idea is to use them almost exclusively for electronic music, hard techno and using them for music production, what do you think about this if the attack is a parameter that I use constantly? I hate active speakers I don't know why, if there is any other recommendation I would appreciate it very much. Greetings!

knownothing

Hello people, I have a question, I was almost determined to buy these speakers, I have a NAD 50w stereo, a Polk 10" 200watt subwoofer and a loxjie d30 dac, until I saw Erin's review where he says that it has low or slow attack, my idea is to use them almost exclusively for electronic music, hard techno and using them for music production, what do you think about this if the attack is a parameter that I use constantly? I hate active speakers I don't know why, if there is any other recommendation I would appreciate it very much. Greetings!
Try replacing the stock metal jumper bars on the 12.X Diamonds with good quality wire jumpers. They will “slam” your pants off. No need to bleed money - buy Chinese jumpers with good connecters, wire and insulation. Try these speakers with Tipper, Jlin, Rufus Del Sol, Skrillex etc. 50W in a smaller room should be more than you can stand. I am using Diamond 12.0’s with 50W Rega-R amp and Monitor Audio sub in my office and it blows my hair back while presenting detail and great soundstage in nearfield.

kn

Last edited:

munin

Try replacing the stock metal jumper bars on the 12.X Diamonds with good quality wire jumpers. They will “slam” your pants off. No need to bleed money - buy Chinese jumpers with good connecters, wire and insulation. Try these speakers with Tipper, Jlin, Rufus Del Sol, Skrillex etc. 50W in a smaller room should be more than you can stand. I am using Diamond 12.0’s with 50W Rega-R amp and Monitor Audio sub in my office and it blows my hair back while presenting detail and great soundstage in nearfield.

kn
Does it really change anything, more than the look, to change the jumpers? I am quite surprise.

Penelinfi

Does it really change anything, more than the look, to change the jumpers? I am quite surprise.
Any old ofc cable will work the same and I doubt you'll notice anything over the stock bars anyway.
The signal in your amplifier runs through a lot of flat metal shapes. It runs through more flat metal shapes inside the speaker. What's changing 2% of that length going to do for you?

munin

Any old ofc cable will work the same and I doubt you'll notice anything over the stock bars anyway.
The signal in your amplifier runs through a lot of flat metal shapes. It runs through more flat metal shapes inside the speaker. What's changing 2% of that length going to do for you?
That's what I thought!

Last edited:

Floydian

Hi Guys!
I own a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 speakers with a Naim Nait 5i amplifier, and feel my current system a bit bass-shy. The music is very punchy, rhythmic and fast, but the bass doesnt have enough depth. I am actually quite stuck here, because I am about to buy new a DAC, but have been thinking about buying a sub or switching the amplifier. I am open to any suggestions.

DSJR

Major Contributor
My old second-system Diamond 7.2SE's with 'buy wiring' terminals use the supplied solid brass rods (2mm diameter and maybe 40 - 50mm spacing?) as links. I'd not want to increase hf level at all, so the brass rods stay put and they look better anyway!.. Mind you, add-on fancy wire links do look better to some, so maybe as usual, it's the visual aspect that makes it sound better....

Penelinfi

Hi Guys!
I own a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 speakers with a Naim Nait 5i amplifier, and feel my current system a bit bass-shy. The music is very punchy, rhythmic and fast, but the bass doesnt have enough depth. I am actually quite stuck here, because I am about to buy new a DAC, but have been thinking about buying a sub or switching the amplifier. I am open to any suggestions.
If you don't need loud volume you could give a little more bass to the speakers. Otherwise a sub. I don't think another amp will get you more bass. Because if it does, then you can do the same thing with DSP or EQ/ tone controls etc.

Willem

Major Contributor
A subwoofer will give you the extension, and also some extra power from the inbuilt amplifier. For clean sound at least two subwoofers are usually recommended, unless you will sit in only one listening position. Some form of dsp room equalization is often needed as well.
How large is the room?

Last edited:

Floydian

The room is about 20 square metres. I used to have an Onkyo A-9150 amp, which did have "phase matching bass", which was fine, but the Naim doesnt have any tone controls, thats why I might feel the lack of it.

Angel II

The room is about 20 square metres. I used to have an Onkyo A-9150 amp, which did have "phase matching bass", which was fine, but the Naim doesnt have any tone controls, thats why I might feel the lack of it.
Seriously consider adding an equalizer.
I have the DBX1231 and it's fantastic.

Top Bottom