• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Diamond 12 Owner's Thread

beagleman

Major Contributor
Whatever the 12.1 can do, the 12.2 does it better. On the spec sheet the 12.2 has a lower crossover at 2khz compared to 2.7khz of the 12.1 but I dont know if that changes anything. And deeper bass of course. Way deeper. The Diamond 12s are killer at this price, and that BBC Dip is what makes this speaker sound so smooth. Barely listen to the LS50 anymore since I got these.

I got the 12.1 a few weeks back, and have to say, quite neutral, and very listenable overall.
I pair mine with a decent sub crossed at 120hz. So bass is really a non issue in my application.
With minor EQ they become close to excellent, except for maybe very high levels, obviously.

Would love to see more info of the 12.2 tested by Erin or Amir to see what differs between these models.
I got mine for all of $200.00 on special so quite impressed with the value.

I also had a pair of LS-50 to compare my 12.1 to and the LS-50 are now sitting on the floor with a steelers towel over them.

Not a huge difference, but felt somehow the 12.1 were simply a bit more accurate and for sure easier to listen to overall.

Now possibly looking to try the 12.C center channel, even though only an MTM config, and maybe find a set of 12.3 to try out!

warpdrive

I got the 12.1 a few weeks back, and have to say, quite neutral, and very listenable overall.
I pair mine with a decent sub crossed at 120hz. So bass is really a non issue in my application.
With minor EQ they become close to excellent, except for maybe very high levels, obviously.

Would love to see more info of the 12.2 tested by Erin or Amir to see what differs between these models.
I got mine for all of $200.00 on special so quite impressed with the value.

I also had a pair of LS-50 to compare my 12.1 to and the LS-50 are now sitting on the floor with a steelers towel over them.

Not a huge difference, but felt somehow the 12.1 were simply a bit more accurate and for sure easier to listen to overall.

Now possibly looking to try the 12.C center channel, even though only an MTM config, and maybe find a set of 12.3 to try out!

$200....how?

beagleman

Major Contributor
$200....how?

On Music Direct site, They were listed as a "B" stock, at around $220.00 a pair, plus a black friday 10% off coupon, dropping price to around 200, plus tax of course, and free shipping.

Oddly enough I received new in box, absolutely brand new and perfect examples, that were NOT "B" stock, but brand new. I did not question this of course!

A one time deal, as I see they are now $299,99 a pair.

Last edited:

beagleman

Major Contributor
$200....how?
There is a pair of 12.1 on their site for the price of $229.99 right now

And a set of 12.2 for $299.99

Last edited:

Floydian

Hi guys!
I've had the Diamond 12.2-s for over half a year now, and I absolutely love them. I have been using them with an Onkyo A-9150 amp, which I recently sold.
Now I am looking for a new amplifier to pair with the Diamonds. I prefer a full, a bit warm, but detailed sound signature, as I mostly listen to classical and progressive rock (Pink Floyd mostly :) ). As for the source, I play music from my PC and I also play LP-s.
I have been looking at the following amps:
Naim Nait 5i
Rega Brio
Marantz PM7005
NAD C356BEE
Would any of these amps work well together with the speakers? I see a lot of people recommending class D amplifiers (such as Topping PA5, and SMSL DA-9), but most of them only have 1 or 2 channels, although I prefer to have more.
Thank you for you answers in advance! :)

munin

Hey there!
I would need your help.

I am planning on buying a pair of speaker from this series. But I am uncertain about wich one to choose between the 12.1 and the 12.2

To be more specific, I will use them for watching movie and listening to music with an Losje a40 amp. I would say that it will be around mostly use for movies like 60% but I want a good sound for when I want to listen to some music.

Here is a how my room where the system will be:
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 21-52-09 Edition Plan 3d maison GA Kozikaza.png

The speaker will be facing the couch in front and the window place along the 285cm wall.

I am a bit affraid that the 12.2 will have too much bass for the music, but on the other hand that would be nice for movies to have a bit of punch and also for when friends comes home.

The subwoofer is a no go from girlfriend so... Here I am :)

Thanks for your advices to come! :)

crappypanther

I am a bit affraid that the 12.2 will have too much bass for the music
12.2 don't feel too bassy at all. You can also plug the ports to reduce the amount of low end.
There's one more thing you need to know. 6" 12.2 is actually what all other manufacturers call 5 1/4 inches
But.. I'm not at all dissuading you from 12.1

munin

I am more affraid that they will sound too bassy in my configuration, not that they are normally too bassy :)

That's why I shared the room configuration to have some insight. Some people here were saying that the space between the speaker and the wall should be at least 30 cm... Which I can't provide.

But on the other end, I can have the 12.2 for 299€ et the the 12.1 for 279 for that price difference, I guess the go to is the 12.2 :)

crappypanther

Some people here were saying that the space between the speaker and the wall should be at least 30 cm...
30 cm or 2 cm - I have never noticed that this distance has any significant effect on the sound (and bass amount). as well as the side on which the port is located. But what will greatly influence is the position of your head. In the corner of the room you will really feel the bass rise. So it's a difficult question. Ideally, order both speakers at once, listen, and then abandon one of them :)

wyup

New to the audiophile game. very happy to get a system setup.

I have the 12.4's paired with a Cambridge CXA81 and the CXC CD transport.. Speakers have about 40 hrs on them and the highs seem to scream once I get up about 1/2 way on the amp dial (Amp is 80w RMS @ 8ohm) . it is particularly harsh with Cd's and less so when streaming via Bluetooth. Also the bass is very inconsistent some recording are great and some are meh (have a SVS SB-2000 arriving on Monday). Definitely songs I know there is bass and its just not showing up.

I know I don't have them in the optimal location (they are in my basement, concrete walls) but will eventually go into a new family room ( 26x30) above the garage. but right now they seem a mess. Would Bi-Amping help, should I switch to Toslink for the CDC to Amp connection? Spent a lot of money and not wowed yet.

Thanks
Hi, I'm curious to know your experience with the 12.4's. I like them because 12.3 have good reviews and they are higher than usual floorstanders like 12.3 that have tweeters bellow my ear level, and bellow my standmounts. They are not expensive and most of all they seem easy to drive, 6.5" drivers and 89db, 5 ohm min impedance.

munin

Finally I got my 12.2 they are fairly a bit bigger than what I expected, but they look very nice.
I paired them with the Loxjie a40.
Both together do a wonderful job for movies and musix. I had the 12.2 for 230€ the pair. For less than 500€ the the set with the amp, it's a really good way to have a nice budget system.

I won't bother giving impressing of what I hear, just that i am really happy with this speakers. They go as low as I would like to and give me good musical impressions.

knownothing

DId you confirm this unlikely claim under controled blind conditions?
Please be sure to turn your analysis equipment on before sitting down to listen so you will know whether or not it sounds good. If a person cannot tell an audible difference between an Audioquest Dragonfly Red and a Chord Mojo 2 DAC played through a decent amplifier and a pair of Wharfdale Diamond 12.X speakers, then I suggest perhaps they should find another hobby.

kn

Willem

Major Contributor
Please be sure to turn your analysis equipment on before sitting down to listen so you will know whether or not it sounds good. If a person cannot tell an audible difference between an Audioquest Dragonfly Red and a Chord Mojo 2 DAC played through a decent amplifier and a pair of Wharfdale Diamond 12.X speakers, then I suggest perhaps they should find another hobby.

kn
Audio comparisons have to be done under controlled conditions, i.e. blind, level matched and near instantaneous. I have never been able to tell a difference between various decently measuring DACs, and my best DAC is an RME ADI-2. The speakers are Quad 2805 electrostats plus some MSO equalized subwoofers.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Audio comparisons have to be done under controlled conditions, i.e. blind, level matched and near instantaneous. I have never been able to tell a difference between various decently measuring DACs, and my best DAC is an RME ADI-2. The speakers are Quad 2805 electrostats plus some MSO equalized subwoofers.
This is also what real blind testing has shown, in that post the user gives unfortunately his username justice.

knownothing

Just for the record here, what do you consider a “decently measuring DAC”? SINAD of >90 db? >100db? >110db? >120db? Is that the only measurement that matters or should a prospective buyer be looking at jitter and linearity? Something else?

kn

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for the record here, what do you consider a “decently measuring DAC”?
This one is certainly decent, sadly it's a bit pricey, there are cheaper alternatives, but no name came to mind:

SINAD of >90 db? >100db? >110db? >120db?
Sure, >90 is fine.

Is that the only measurement that matters or should a prospective buyer be looking at jitter and linearity?
The one linked above is fine there as well.

I had the 12.2 for 230€ the pair.
Incredible! Do we know if the 12.2 measures as well as the 12.1?
Surely they have more authority in the lower ranges because of their size and larger driver.

Willem

Major Contributor
Just for the record here, what do you consider a “decently measuring DAC”? SINAD of >90 db? >100db? >110db? >120db? Is that the only measurement that matters or should a prospective buyer be looking at jitter and linearity? Something else?

kn
These days it is dead easy to design a DAC with a Sinad >100, so that would be a low bar. Frequency response should be flat within 0.2 dB, which once again is easy. Finally, jitter is rarely an issue. Amir has measured many $100 DACs that are audibly perfect, and easily beat the threshold of human hearing acuity. Another interesting example would be the inbuilt DAC of the discontinued Chromecast Audio. Archimago's measurements have shown that it is sonically perfect. Admittedly my RME ADI-2 measures better, but can I hear the difference? Of course not. DACs are the best part of the chain, and not worth worrying about.

knownothing

This one is certainly decent, sadly it's a bit pricey, there are cheaper alternatives, but no name came to mind:

Sure, >90 is fine.

The one linked above is fine there as well.

Incredible! Do we know if the 12.2 measures as well as the 12.1?
Surely they have more authority in the lower ranges because of their size and larger driver.
So the Audioquest Dragonfly Red which has a SINAD measurement of 89db might not be “fine”, but a Chord Mojo 2 with a SINAD measurement of 110db might be “fine”?

Top Bottom