• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weird Cars Thread

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
not always a bad idea - the Gullwing needed them since the 'frame' sill had to be so high

they can also provide clearance in a tight parking spot, depending on the swing arc - tho few exotic cars are found in tight parking lots

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
not always a bad idea - the Gullwing needed them since the 'frame' sill had to be so high

they can also provide clearance in a tight parking spot, depending on the swing arc - tho few exotic cars are found in tight parking lots
Name one successful application of them. The Gullwing could have had a conventional door with a bit of a cut-out at the top of the door frame even with the high sill.

A successful door for access in tight parking is the sliding door on mini vans. Maybe not possible on a shorter sporting car due to the shorter length.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
they have +'s and -'s - that is my point. I'm not a fan and think they are mainly for looks.

define "successful application"

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
meh.
skip the doors entirely -- like County Agent Hank Kimball's Bronco on Green Acres.

1619812936902.png

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
...this may not be the best place for this image, but it's not the worst, either.
Saw this today on audioasylum.

1620242179505.png

Juhazi

Major Contributor
OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Juhazi Celebrity had several gas turbine cruise ships built. They were not satisfied with the results because the turbine was very inefficient when not running at full speed and the fuel was more expensive and not available in enough ports. Ultimately they mothballed one of the two turbines and added a diesel engine generator for low speed. I have been on these ships.

The Russian navy had some ships built with a single turbine and two diesel engines. These were not electrified. One was abandoned in Cuba, towed to the Cayman Islands and sunk as a scuba diving attraction. I have been inside this ship underwater several times. The turbine has an impressive gearbox. I went back into the diesel engine section on my last trip. It's not for most divers.

My understanding is the future of the shipping industry is LNG. I don't know what's on the drawing board, but there is someone in the industry I can ask.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Russian navy had some ships built with a single turbine and two diesel engines. These were not electrified. One was abandoned in Cuba, towed to the Cayman Islands and sunk as a scuba diving attraction. I have been inside this ship underwater several times. The turbine has an impressive gearbox. I went back into the diesel engine section on my last trip. It's not for most divers.
That reads like a exercise in creepy crawlies with venomous creatures lurkin in the dark recesses of those mechanical rooms.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That reads like a exercise in creepy crawlies with venomous creatures lurkin in the dark recesses of those mechanical rooms.
The main risk is getting stuck and subsequently running out of air.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The main risk is getting stuck and subsequently running out of air.

Do you do any cave diving? I'm guessing it would be similar, in the sense of 'not for everyone.'

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you do any cave diving? I'm guessing it would be similar, in the sense of 'not for everyone.'

Cave diving is spooky.
I remember being stuck with my tanks in the cave's pipe and the instructor behind me pinching my leg.
Just another reason to panic ...

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I went on a cavern dive with a guide in Mexico. It's like a cave but there is always a place to surface within 200'. Over 500 people have died in the Florida fresh water caves, and that number is from 10 years ago. Technical diving is one of the most dangerous things you can do. It's also not super expensive like trying to climb Everest.

@Harmonie when stuck, thats when you take off your gear and pull it through. Were you using a twinset?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Over 500 people have died in the Florida fresh water caves, and that number is from 10 years ago.

I'm guessing not all were ignorant novices either. It's an environment that is unforgiving of mistakes.

I don't feel I need to add cave diving to my bucket list.

Top Bottom