• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weird Cars Thread

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I drove this car (Edit: Subaru Libero) for 10 years. It's much smaller than it looks, length = 3.40 m, width = 1.42m, height = 1.88 m, and I never managed to capsize it.

subaru-libero-1.jpg

Despite its shortness it had place for six people: 2 seats in the fron and 2 banks behind for 2 people each. The middle bank could be folded into a table, the front seats could be rotated so this "table" could be used from both sides. Both banks could be made flat so two people could sleep on them. There just was no trunk room left for the luggage ...

Here you see it with the curtains down, ready for going to bed:

subaru-libero-2.jpg

We drove lots of bad and dirty roads which was no problem due to the small size and the fact that you could engage the 4wd if in need. Here is the proof:

subaru-libero-3.jpg

I think it qualifies for this thread and although I wouldn't buy it again (no safety zone) I remember it gladly, and what it allowed us to do.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
many VW Vanagon owners dream of a Delica...

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I drove this car (Edit: Subaru Libero) for 10 years. It's much smaller than it looks, length = 3.40 m, width = 1.42m, height = 1.88 m, and I never managed to capsize it.

Despite its shortness it had place for six people: 2 seats in the fron and 2 banks behind for 2 people each. The middle bank could be folded into a table, the front seats could be rotated so this "table" could be used from both sides. Both banks could be made flat so two people could sleep on them. There just was no trunk room left for the luggage ...

I like your car because of the dimensions you state, but hey @LTig are you sure about those dimension ??

The smallest Peugeot is longer and wider !!

1618524411344.png

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Apologies @LTig

If you can sleep in such car, I would seriously consider it as a fun car for w-e, short holidays !

There's a saying, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very weird. Made for California - no rain, broad roads. In England the interior of the car gets very wet when you enter or leave it in rain, and the minimal curve radius is too big for narrow country roads and village streets. :facepalm:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Very weird. Made for California - no rain, broad roads. In England the interior of the car gets very wet when you enter or leave it in rain, and the minimal curve radius is too big for narrow country roads and village streets. :facepalm:
Yes, gull wing doors or pivoting doors that go up are always a bad idea. I think Tesla had a big miscue with the doors on the X. It could have been a much bigger hit for them with conventional doors and the resulting much lower QC issues. I've for years expected conventional doors to be issued with power openers/closers. Somehow no one else see the point in it.

Top Bottom