• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weird Cars Thread

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
nash_236023_front_3-4.jpg

8.8L, supercharged, estimated 620 hp.

Post photos of weird cars here, most likely one off or very unusual.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With all the terrible problems in the world I was getting ready to give up. However that thing restores my faith in the prospects of humanity not only surviving intact, but progressing upward into a brighter future.

You gave me a chuckle. That motor is dated to say the least.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it's got get up and go

BTW, is there a car stereo thread on here?

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One of 6 built.
vette-feature.jpg

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@mhardy6647 in the US three wheel "cars" are classified as motorcycles. The result is minimalist vehicles such as the popular Polaris Slingshot.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
@mhardy6647 in the US three wheel "cars" are classified as motorcycles. The result is minimalist vehicles such as the popular Polaris Slingshot.
They're a bit of each in the UK - the Robin was quite popular with people who had a bike license but no car license. The Robin rear axle is/was often used in trike conversions from shaft drive bikes. The Grinnall Scorpion is a similar sort of thing to the Slingshot IIRC. Then there's the Morgan 3 wheeler which is probably odd enough to modern eyes to appear in this thread.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're a bit of each in the UK - the Robin was quite popular with people who had a bike license but no car license. The Robin rear axle is/was often used in trike conversions from shaft drive bikes. The Grinnall Scorpion is a similar sort of thing to the Slingshot IIRC. Then there's the Morgan 3 wheeler which is probably odd enough to modern eyes to appear in this thread.
If there's a 'right' way to do three wheels, the Morgan does it right with two wheels in front and one behind.
1024px-2012_US-spec_Morgan_3-wheeler.jpg
Reliant's way is just the best way to kill off your customers!
When I was at school., my best friend had a Bond Minicar with one wheel in front. Fortunately, that never went fast enough to tip over, but nevertheless, a hairy ride. (No reverse gear, the engine just went all the way round!)
S
1024px-Bond_Minicar_red_1959.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I snapped this in Aspen, Colorado a few months ago. It has front wheel drive like the Morgan, but the drive line is more automotive than motorcycle. I wonder if the FWD layout works better than the single driven rear wheel of the Polaris.
DSC_6252.jpg

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I snapped this in Aspen, Colorado a few months ago. It has front wheel drive like the Morgan, but the drive line is more automotive than motorcycle. I wonder if the FWD layout works better than the single driven rear wheel of the Polaris.
I thought the Morgans were RWD, but either way it's a good question.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Juhazi the X-Bow looks interesting, but I don't think it is available in the USA. It might be more brilliant than weird. I didn't realize how much interest in 3 wheel vehicles there is around here.

MainImage.png

The Polaris Slingshot (above) has a 2.4L GM engine and belt drive to the single rear wheel. At popular tourist destinations in the US these are available for rental. They are about to announce a new model with a Polaris built engine and an automatic transmission.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I am not sure the Reliants would be classified as anything in the US any more.

I am in New England, BTW, not Merrie Olde England. :)

I see one of those Polaris thingies at our local feed store on occasion (in warmer weather -- not in January!) occupied by a middle-age-ish woman and her dog. :)

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My vote for "ugliest automobiles I have ever seen" goes to Luigi Colani's trucks...
iu

...While my vote for "coolest automobiles I have ever seen" goes to GM's Firebird line of concept cars.
iu

iu

Safety issues aside, this is the kind of ride I'd be rolling in after being done with my day job of flying supersonic interceptors. One of the Firebird concepts apparently also pioneered the "self-driving car" by having the car guided by signal wires buried under the road surface.

(1956 warning!)

Top Bottom