• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wadia 860 Cd Player

Pared12

I have a 20 year old Wadia 860 CD player that decided this morning that it was tired of turning on and so didn’t! My skills are not great but at the risk of asking a silly question I was hoping someone might point me in the right direction as to what to look at first. A multimeter is my main tool. I’m thinking that if I can at least work out where the problem is then in getting it fixed I will be less likely to get the run around.
I know there is immense knowledge on this forum so hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
many thanks
E7FED052-E78B-48AE-A9BF-CBFF5BA47163.jpeg
83348F42-CED3-4C0F-ADD6-3C9422C9712C.jpeg

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
What I would do is:
1. Try and find a workshop manual. Or at the very least a full circuit diagram showing standard test points and voltages
2. Search to see if others have published methods to fix faults on this device
3. If it does absolutely nothing, start with the power supply

Without a full circuit description, you are working a bit in the dark!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m thinking that if I can at least work out where the problem is then in getting it fixed I will be less likely to get the run around
Well...in my experience that never works. But unless you just love that old player, a modern Blu-ray or DVD player can be a cheap and good performing replacement.

AudiOhm

These connectors do not look like they are seated correctly...

860 CD.jpg

Ohms

techguypaul

I usually work forward from the wall outlet verifying power. In my experience I’d say 90% is power supply failure.
In many cases I’ve been able to track down the OEM of said supply and replace. As an aside I’m always shocked by the relatively inexpensive power supplies used in high end gear.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I usually work forward from the wall outlet verifying power. In my experience I’d say 90% is power supply failure.
In many cases I’ve been able to track down the OEM of said supply and replace. As an aside I’m always shocked by the relatively inexpensive power supplies used in high end gear.
Yes. I put all my stuff on a switched surge protected outlet strip after a few power supplies mysteriously blew up. Consumer stuff is after all made to a price point.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The combination of a recent, cheap, Blue-Ray player and a low-cost Topping DAC will probably out-perform this player. And if you don't have real experience repairing electronics it's best you don't start now with this piece of gear. Having a pro repair this player will no doubt cost more than replacement.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

techguypaul

Yes. I put all my stuff on a switched surge protected outlet strip after a few power supplies mysteriously blew up. Consumer stuff is after all made to a price point.
Yes power where I live is not great. I highly recommend something industrial that doesn’t use sacrificial MOV’s. SurgeX SX-1115-RT and the 20 amp SX-1120-RT are my go to.
It’s the stuff that’s shouldn’t be built to a price point because they charge a small fortune that a surprise. $20,000 components with $12 off the shelf supplies!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes power where I live is not great. I highly recommend something industrial that doesn’t use sacrificial MOV’s. SurgeX SX-1115-RT and the 20 amp SX-1120-RT are my go to.
It’s the stuff that’s shouldn’t be built to a price point because they charge a small fortune that a surprise. $20,000 components with $12 off the shelf supplies!
Nothing you can say about "high end" stuff will surprise anyone here.

Top Bottom