• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

VTV Hypex Ncore NC252MP (It's all Amir's fault)

Matias

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Glad it worked out for you!

Hypex support indicates the transient is more likely in unbalanced sources. They have an improvement forthcoming, but not yet in production.

In my case, the transient also follows the speaker sensitivity. It rarely happens on the Selah Integrity for example. Your Thiels are fairly sensitive though, so is not a sole indicator, but likely explains why there is mixed reports on occurrence. Hypex is still my best option, but just going to have to be patient I guess. :)

Last edited:

Matias

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad it worked out for you!

Hypex support indicates the transient is more likely in unbalanced sources. They have an improvement forthcoming, but not yet in production.

In my case, the transient also follows the speaker sensitivity. It rarely happens on the Selah Integrity for example. Your Thiels are fairly sensitive though, so is not a sole indicator, but likely explain why there is mixed reports on occurrence. Hypex is still my best option, but just going to have to be patience I guess. :)
I normally use the NC502MP with Monitor Audio PL100 speakers, as per my signature.

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Forum Donor
Thread Starter #285

Matias

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do I see fancy power cords and cables back there? Have you been cheating on us?
Oh you have seen nothing yet. :)
But in this case it is a Chinese 15usd power cable from Aliexpress.

cranks

Hi there,

Been a long time lurker as I have been researching class-d amps and this site has helped me a lot! Thanks to all who have contributed!

In my research I have found a local supplier of class-d amps who uses high quality transformers instead of smps.

What are the pro's and con's of his approach??

BTW...I am not a technical person, just an average Joe who wants to upgrade my amps and be armed with the right knowledge to do so!

Last edited:

Matias

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there,

Been a long time lurker as I have been researching class-d amps and this site has helped me a lot! Thanks to all who have contributed!

In my research I have found a local supplier of class-d amps who uses high quality transformers instead of smps.

What are the pro's and con's of his approach??

BTW...I am not a technical person, just an average Joe who wants to upgrade my amps and be armed will the right knowledge to do so!
IMO big transformer adds weight, cost, possibly hum, and switchers don't while also supplying all the current needed and better stabilization for peaks.

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Forum Donor
Thread Starter #289
IMO big transformer adds weight, cost, possibly hum, and switchers don't while also supplying all the current needed and better stabilization for peaks.
To add to this, there is the common misconception that switching power supplies are noisier and can’t provide sufficient instant current. Both are incorrect. The best performing amps use smps suppies now, benchmark, hypex, purifi.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...audio-myth-switching-power-supplies-are-noisy

Using a linear supply for a hypex or purifi does not result in the best performance, but does let the builder claim a different and superior product, even if not true.

Matias

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
CDMC

CDMC

Forum Donor
Thread Starter #291
The top blue list has both switching and linear power supplies, low and high power, so really one cannot make a blanket statement either way.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...list-for-3rd-party-measured-amplifiers.16060/
It could be argued that the Benchmark with a 12 db SN ratio advantage over the next performing amp is in a class of its own. That said, youare correct, either design can provide SN ratios well in excess of audibility. As nearly always sees to be the case, it is implementation more than whether one is fundamentally better than the other. Either design can be fabulous or terrible.

Last edited:

cranks

Thanks guys for your input!

I think the leading contender for me is the amps with smps!

Now to select which brand!!

Matias

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks guys for your input!

I think the leading contender for me is the amps with smps!

Now to select which brand!!
When anyone can put amp boards and cables in a box, the competitive advantage goes to the ones who do the correct and clean assemblies. I suggest you to compare inside pictures and list of components used to make up your mind.

tmtomh

IMHO if you live in Australia March Audio is the no-brainer choice. First-rate assembly/quality, nice cases, great customer support. Some March products are a little more expensive than some comparable units from European vendors, but I would say you get an extra level of build quality (and I believe individual unit testing) for your money, and if you're in Australia the price premium basically disappears when you take into account shipping from Europe from the other brands.

Last edited: