• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton Audio HTA20BT and HTA20, better than you might think.

motomech

Several years ago, Dayton Audio (Parts Express) came out with a line of budget "Hybrid Tube" ampilifiers (the HTABT and HTA series) and this year they dropped the "BT" suffix and changed a few of the features, but they are basicly the same units. The HTA20 is the lowest rated power unit, while the the HTA100 and the HTA200 are higher powered, more feature equiped. I've owned both the HTA20BT and the HTA20 and before I relate my experiences with them and given they have not been dicussed here on ASR, I thought I would list some of the scant info avail. on the net;

So the D-class mini amp is a well-known trooper that is well thought of by the DIY guys,
but nothing special. Probably not much different than the bulk of sub $100 mini-amps that some here have played around with, they tend to get a litttle harsh if pushed.
The first thing I learned with the HTA was to use an external DAC, in my case one of my gaming DAC's w/ tone controls. These Fosi and Aiyima DAC's, w/ their $50 price tags, indestructibility and their ability to satisify my OCD for knob twirling, may not be sonicly the equivalent of the $100 and up DAC's w/ a remote, but the HTA seems to take the edge off a bit.
But what brings a smile to my face is the holographic, enveloping sound-stage (I know, an over-used description, but I'm not sure how else to put it). While I'm waxing, I'll throw in the ole "The whole is greater than the sum of the parts" saw.
Now I did have to return the first unit, but with PE's Easy Return Policy, it's NBD and I still give five starts.
It's just a fun desktop amp.
I won't go into all the little differences between the HTABT and HTA models, but will mention that I perfer the BT, the blue "Faux Glow" of the tubes is more subdued than the orange and the sub output signal appears to be quite a bit stronger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom