• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vandersteen 3A Sig's sound DEAD and Lifeless...Can the SHD save them?

OP
HionHiFi

HionHiFi

Just wondering, maybe what it is you crave is the ability to handle large dynamic swings. The SCV were accurate, but also had a lot of driver area and spl output capability, as they were also pretty efficient (91 db watt). Have you checked to see what you output peaks are? For some things, there is no replacement for displacement and that requires decent sized cabinets and drivers. I know that if I really crank my F208s up, even with a 24db octave high pass at 70hz, those twin 8” woofers still move a lot.
In the colorful graph above there are high and low ranges to a song that has a pretty good range.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the colorful graph above there are high and low ranges to a song that has a pretty good range.

It tells us nothing about what your max SPL levels are, or your preferred listening levels.

OP
HionHiFi

HionHiFi

It tells us nothing about what your max SPL levels are, or your preferred listening levels.
I usually critically listen at 75db with peaks in the 80db range I’d say.

Most of my regular listening is at a much lower down in the 65db range.

I’ll have a listen to verify.

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I usually critically listen at 75db with peaks in the 80db range I’d say.

Most of my regular listening is at a much lower down in the 65db range.

Strike that theory. Maybe a preamp that has a loudness control.

OP
HionHiFi

HionHiFi

Strike that theory. Maybe a preamp that has a loudness control.
The MiniDSP SHD doesn’t have any easily accessible on-the-fly tone controls nor balance control. Do you only way to affect the frequency response is through its DSP ie. connect to a computer.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound quality has improved. It is more consistent across the frequency range with Dirac in, and the speakers sit closer to the back wall which is more aesthetically pleasing. Dirac clearly has had positive effects in the middle to high ranges but I’m not so sure about the low end. The low end has been seemingly nearly knocked out by Dirac. Maybe I’ve gotta adjust to the “new normal” with this setup before making a judgement. The sound in my room is still rather blah even if smooth in room.

I suppose it’s apropos that I wouldn’t like these speakers. Vandersteen didn’t design them for me. They designed them for music lover’s. I’ve read that Richard Vandersteen designs his speakers for music lovers, NOT audiophiles. Which I take to mean they strive for accuracy above all. I’m not Vandersteen’s target audience, but I AM their intended and primary customer.

I thought I wanted an “accurate” speaker but apparently I don’t. After my Dunlavy SC-V’s went away, every other “accurately” designed speaker in my house sounded rather blah, from Snell, to Egglestonworks, to PSB’s. The speakers I’ve enjoyed are JBL Studio 590’s. I prefer a livelier speaker rather than the “warmer” (for lack of a better word), speaker.

I have a pair of Elac DBR62’s on the way. Go figure...:facepalm: my reasoning being they’re livelier than the Vandy’s, and I can fill in the low end with my dual subs. If I don’t like them I’ll buy a pair of JBL’s.

It is not unusual for automated room eq to reduce apparent bass. The real question is whether it messed up or is more accurate and you do not like. So, if you haven’t already, would help to measure again.

If the modes (big peaks and dips are improved), then Dirac worked correctly and you should work from there. Depending on the measurement result, the simplest adjustment would be to raise the subwoofer(s) output.

tuga

Major Contributor
Just having a look now at your speakers' measurements here.

The listening window response is quite flat, and although the response horizontally off-axis is a bit choppy, the general trend is smooth. That should mean that the degree of toe-in is a question of taste and room acoustics. I.e. I wouldn't think there'd be any reason to avoid toe-ing them in.

View attachment 87615
View attachment 87616

Also FYI, looking at the vertical off-axis, it's clear that, if you're not on the tweeter axis, it's better to be below it rather than above it:

View attachment 87617

Hope this info helps in some way.

With that off-axis behaviour I would definitely try to get the speakers away from the side walls, maybe go for a long-wall setup if that's not the case already.

It may address the not particularly pleasing peak at around 1kHz which @HionHiFi is getting with the current postion.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did took me quite a time to place my Vandies correct. But when they are at the right spot for me they sound unbelieveble good for sure not dull. The imaging is till now the best i have heard (at that spot in that position). Bass is low an tight . Definitely don't need any subs anymore. But if i put them 20 cm back 40% of the magic is gone an they become quite avarage. Gone compare them in a few months with the Elac Debut Reference DBR-62.

p0yINEm.jpg

My (lousy) acoustics needed badly room correction.
164jSkZ.png

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good question. Logically, I should and call it a day but I’m a flawed person, throwing logic to the wind...”Logic...HA!”

Here are 3 reasons for not immediately buying a pair of Studio 590’s...
  1. The JBL Studio 590’s are BIG
  2. Monitor speakers are small
  3. I own dual subwoofers
I want to exhaust the smaller, less expensive option first before repurchasing another pair of huge speakers.

Nevermind, I cancelled the Elac DBR62’s and ordered a pair of Studio 590’s. Buying new gives me a return window and free shipping. Hell, why not.

I can find another home for the subwoofers if they won’t fit behind the speakers.
Awesome, congrats on the purchase! Breaking through analysis paralysis is always a struggle for me. I would try to find space for those subs somewhere in your room and use them crossed with the 590's. You'll have nice full range sound capable of high dB peaks.

Top Bottom