• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

value-for-money solution to drive 3x2 ceiling speakers

Videopac

So I moved to a new house with 6 loudspeakers in the ceiling of the living room. The speaker cables end (start) in the wardrobe closet in the hall. Now I'm looking for the best, cheap way to drive them. Functional requirements are: 1. play music via Spotify. 2. play my own music (including some high-res) 3. connect it via wired network. What I already have is: 2x Logitech Squeezebox Touch and some Odroid C2/C4 sbc's inclusing Hifishield2 (pcm5242 dac). As I can't seem to get the Hifishield2 working I am currently thinking of the following:

- buy one additional second-hand Squeezebox Touch
- buy 3x Allo Volt+D

I do understand that this will not end up in high-end audiophile sound quality but I am open for any suggestions / your opinion on this.

Last edited:

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
V

Videopac

@Apesbrain: thank you for the suggestion. Interesting, although it doesn’t have to be that cheap. I forgot the word “not” in the last scentence, my apologies.

Overall I’m happy to spend €500-1000 if that would give me a decent sound (given the contraints). What I also didn’t mention is that 4 speakers are in the front of the living and to in the back. It might be usefull to be able to select only the front or the back speakers.

Top Bottom