• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using dual woofer center channel speakers as mains?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I notice Amir seems to review a fair few center channels and his reviews always end up the same.. they're terrible center speakers but if you stand them up and buy two they make great L/R speakers.

Now this comes down to the layout which is generally 2 x woofers + a central tweeter.

What I have found in my neck of the woods is that there seems to be a lot of center channel speakers for sale that just dont get sold because the companies make too many and the shops cant sell them so they languish.. and most people wont think to buy two and use them that way.

BUT My question is that many have say 2 x 5" woofers + a std. soft dome tweeter but what does 2 x 5" woofers do as far a bass response goes?

I would think it doesnt go down any lower (this is impossible?) but it does go louder and more efficient than say a single 6" woofer?

HansHolland

quote: "but what does 2 x 5" woofers do as far a bass response goes?"

If using 2 of the same woofers that you would otherwise use single, then yes, you are correct.
But, it is possible to design 5" woofers that can go low (but then it cannot play loud, so use 2).

But, I think that the woofers of most center speakers are more designed to go loud than low. Also because a lot of times that people use center channel speakers, they also use a subwoofer.

ethernode

I'm also thinking of this but for practical reasons: I intend to put speakers above a window, and I only have 20 cm height. Either I must go after a single coax driver design like Kef LS50 (because they have the same behavior sideways) or I can try centre speakers. For the latter, I am afraid that they are "voice-optimized" and would not provide a good imaging if used in stereo. Is that nonsense ?

Top Bottom