• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrading pointless for THIS kind of music ?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Also if those speaker go to 55Hz this should be enough for metal since the lowest notes are always the kickdrum which is most present around 80Hz
Patently untrue. A lot of newer metal has energy down as low as 25hz. When you keep octave disparity between bass and guitar, and guitars are tuned to G or lower... Yep.

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding d)
A crude sketch of my listening environment.
View attachment 79319

Thanks. Here are my two cents:

1. The DBR-62 would probably work pretty well for your needs. Unless you are listening at high volumes, your current receiver will be fine with it. That said, as your budget is higher, I think you would be better off with other alternatives.
  2. As others have suggested, going to active powered monitors would be a good choice for your use. It will also get the receiver out of the way and avoid the cost of that upgrade. Something like the Genelec 8040, Dynaudio BM6A, JBL 705P, or Newman KH120 would work well. I would lean towards the JBL or Newman as they have built in DACs and Equalization.
  3. A subwoofer really is important. It doesn't need to be very large, but keeping adequate response down to the 30hz range is important to the feel of the music, especially something like metal which has a lot of kick drum in the 50-70hz range. If you absolutely cannot get a subwoofer, I would compromise by going up to a monitor with an 8" woofer.

Enjoy.

OP
M

mathman

Hi guys,
sorry that I disappeared for some days!
My vacation was cut short since some people apparently aren't able to do the simplest jobs without constant supervision -.-

I will probably go for an aktive NFM.
(Reasons: Only have to make one investment, listening environment,...)
Either the Genelec 8330 APM, the Neumann KHS 120 A or D or one of the Nubert nuPro x-series (probably lesser known over the pond. Speaker manufacturer from Berlin/Germany that only does direct selling Nubert ).
Although the Genelec 8341 AP with GLM2 are tempting XD.

However I will have to listen to all of them before I make a final decision, ... and that will take some time since I'm rather busy atm ;(.

Thanks again for all your help and interest !

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will probably go for an aktive NFM.
(Reasons: Only have to make one investment, listening environment,...)
Either the Genelec 8330 APM, the Neumann KHS 120 A or D or one of the Nubert nuPro x-series (probably lesser known over the pond. Speaker manufacturer from Berlin/Germany that only does direct selling Nubert ).
Although the Genelec 8341 AP with GLM2 are tempting XD.

However I will have to listen to all of them before I make a final decision, ... and that will take some time since I'm rather busy atm ;(.
Active is a good and sensible choice. If there is no local pro shop for musicians close to your home you can always fall back on thomann.de or rockshop.de.

OP
M

mathman

Well, yes Spotify is indeed not lossless but since they offer all the bands I listen to I will stay with them... for the moment.
(BTW their queue function is utterly broken...There isn't even an "empty queue" option and since it's cloud based not even a compete reinstall empties the queue... argh! )

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, yes Spotify is indeed not lossless but since they offer all the bands I listen to I will stay with them... for the moment.
(BTW their queue function is utterly broken...There isn't even an "empty queue" option and since it's cloud based not even a compete reinstall empties the queue... argh! )

Spotify is just fine. The difference in sound quality between 320kbps and CD quality is so small that it can only be heard by some people, with some music, some of the time.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hi to you all!
I am a long time lurker and just decided to finally become a member to what I deem the only no-BS audio/HiFi forum around ;)

So my question is this:
I am mostly listening to Metal (98 %) and with that to music that is at least partially poorly recorded and suffering from bad production. This includes artists like Disturbed, Trivium, Rotting_Christ, Amon Amarth, Draconian, Hatebreed, Parkway Drive, Dark Tranquility, Eluveitie, Kalmah, Dimmu Borgir, Soilwork, Rammstein, The Prodigy etc. pp.

Currently my setup looks like this: Spotify -> CCA ->Yamaha RX 397 (stereo receiver) -> StartAir Kit (https://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/startairkit.htm ) as book shelve speakers (I build around a decade ago).

Besides the look of my speakers (raw MDF...) my level of satisfaction regarding sound quality is between "not annoying" and "nice!".
The main weak point of my setup is IMO that the CCA is connected to the receiver via AUX to RCA.

A possible upgrade path I was considering is this: CCA via Toslink to Topping E30 and replacing my current speakers with ELACs DBR 62.

So what do you guys think, is it worth to upgrade my system or should I just give my speakers a nice paint job ;)

Forget all those wussy audiophile speakers.

You want some Cerwin Vega XLS 215

k2HlkORKgrs5DFK4yxUixMI6apyQ5P1C6yQz7ZTVoPN2eANvcG0L1WTXX9AcIjMunKh5kcKkZaQboFhCEDPez-Asu8Z0DrgjMTgGZw88foY

SKBubba

Maybe take a look at an amp or AVR with Spotify Connect. In my limited experiments with Spotify, that gave the best sound quality. After that, speakers.

cistercian

Forum Donor
Hi OP. My setup is simple and cheap by audiophile standards.
I don't approve of small speakers. I don't care how nice a particular small speaker may be...when I want
to rock only horns and a big woofer need apply. JBL SRX835 passives (15 inch LF, 6.5 inch line array derived MF loaded horn,
compression driver hf horn all of them with 3 inch voicecoils. In my small room a single 2502 Crown XLS is enough driven
by a RME ADI-2 FS DAC. Mindfields by Prodigy is EPIC with this setup.
For reference use a pair of Sennheiser HD600 and the RME is enough. When I want to rock hard through the amp to the speakers!
I can report the speakers are very nice even at low level with my setup. Turned up SPL is like a live show. For a bigger room you
might need a couple of amps run bridged. Expect the police at high power.

FWIW YMMV. I am old and can't hear above 14.450 Kc.

Best wishes from America...from a fellow rocker.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On the general subject of "are higher quality speakers worth it for THIS type of music..."

I think a similar question could be asked about electronic music as well (and I've seen it asked before "I like electronic music, house, trance, experimental etc, is it worth having high end speakers for stuff that isn't even trying to sound real?")

As a fan of electronic music I find better speakers utterly enhance my experience of my electronic music genre. So as an example I was listening last night to a fairly recent LP of more fringe experimental electronic music on my system using Thiel 2.7 speakers. The qualities that stand out in these speakers are tonal coherency - absolutely no sense of sounds being made up of separate drivers so very coherent and natural for acoustic instruments and voices. Also big soundstaging, a sense of the speakers "disappearing" as sound sources, with particularly precise, dense, palpable imaging. Instruments seem "solidly there" wherever they are placed.

I've got them spaced well apart and closer to me, not quite nearfield.

The experience of listening to electronic music, like last night, can just be surreal and transporting. The first track started with a strangely undulating, snaking synth throbbing tone that just beamed in to the room between the speakers, in a thick column. With my eyes closed I instantly had the sensation of an alien having been beamed in to the room, much like that scene in Star Trek The Motion Picture:

And then all sorts of other wild synth parts started to drop in while that synth part stayed solidly pulsing in the center of the speakers. Gradually audible alien like synth pads with sandy textures slowly approaching from what seemed like a great distance behind the bass synth beam. Then sparkles popping out the sides of the speakers and all around.

Then the next track came on and it was a whole different set of "aliens" or alien worlds I was transported to, like the holodeck on Star Trek.

This is the kind of stuff that when it happens makes it all feel worth it! I've listened to electronica all my life on crap systems and great systems, and this is the type a great system adds to the experience.

I'm about to go listen to some more electronic music now, can't wait!

Top Bottom