• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade recommendations

intgir

I just want to say that I love this website, bravo!

Current system:

PC -> Micca Origen 2 -> Senn HD600
-> Origain -> MB42X

I love the volume and output toggle on the origen but it's time for an upgrade. I want to upgrade my DAC / AMP setup first and then eventually get around to the speakers and headphones.

Here are my hopes and dreams in order of priority:
  1. Price. I'd like to stay under $400 but ideally in the $200-300 range
  2. Physical and/or remote toggle Headphone output or pre-out with volume control. I want to be able to flip a switch or push a button that stops sending sound to my headphones and pushes it to my speakers. I don't want to have to plug / unplug my headphones. Micca spoiled me. Fiio k7 looks great but I'd be worried about toggling up to that line-out and blowing speakers.
  3. Desk footprint. It would be great to have just one device but I'm open to separate DAC and headphone amp. I think most configurations would require a RCA or XLR switch to give me the toggle ability -- so I think I'm looking at at least 3 devices if I can't find a combo DAC / Headphone amp with a toggle switch.
  4. Front-facing true balanced and SE headphone outputs that can push HD600s
  5. Extensibility: it would be great if it does well with in-ears if I want to try that someday. I'd also like to try electrostatic headphones someday.
  6. Bluetooth, optical-in, USB-in, balanced input, and analog volume knob are nice-to-haves
  7. I don't want to have to install drivers. Don't trust closed source 3rd party software running on my PC.

Here are some of what I've looked at and why I've not picked one:

Topping DX5 lite ($350 | 122db | 250mW@300Ω) - I wish they had balanced headphone output. I want to try balanced with my HD600. I know there's debate, but I just want the option of using headphones in SE or balanced.

Topping DX3 Pro+ ($200 | 117db | 250mW@300Ω) - no balanced output

Fiio k7 ($200 | balanced 560mW@300Ω) - I'm worried about that line-out accidental toggle that blows my speakers. Volume delay.

Topping L30 + E30 ($300 | 112db | 560mW@300Ω) - no balanced output

Sabaj A20d 2022 ($400) - price
S.M.S.L SU-9n ($400) - price
Schiit Jotunheim ($500) - price. The headphones still play when the speaker switch is toggled -- blowing my headphones.
Geshelli - looks beautiful and sweet that balanced seems important but controlling output / having separate amp+dac is a concern.
ifi - concerned about the amp
Schiit -- do not seem concerned about switching outputs

I haven't looked too hard at loxjie and jds labs -- should I look closer?

Which dac + amp or dac/amp situation am I not considering? I would love if anyone could make some recommendations. Thank you!

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The SMSL M500 can be found on eBay for under $300 and has plenty of power and a remote to switch. Also I've recently had the SMSL M300SE paired with an SP200 amp (Apos has the $140 price on those) for a remote and every headphone out you'd need.
I think the M500 would be better since it's got XLR out if you plan on powered speakers down the road. It powered the HE6SE Hifiman even with a -4db preamp reduction to equalize which is impressive.
Balanced only helps if an amp has more power on that connection compared to single end side. It lets you stay in low or medium gain longer, XLR has better noise rejecting for a sometimes more quiet noise floor, but not always. I currently have an HD6XX and plenty of amps can power them well. The Topping l30ii sounds great with them. I wouldn't get too into balanced, the hype is epic on that topic.
A JDS Atom+ DAC+ stack will amaze you how good it sounds, and you don't have to budget for balanced cables.

OP
I

intgir

Sweet. Thank you for the feedback.

Looking at the M500 and M300SE -- it doesn't look like I can switch outputs with a single button for either of them unfortunately. Do you know if that's the case?

The L30ii looks pretty appealing, topping seems to be a fan of output switches and I'm guessing the PRE/HPA/OFF switch I see in photos is exactly what I'd like to have.

The JDS Atom+ looks like instead of having an output switch you can unplug headphones to send sound to pre-out. Unfortunately I think that makes it not an option for me.

b7676

You are describing the L70 / A70 / A90D amp+preamp functionality.

ampguy

I haven't heard most of those units, but have heard good things about the L30 II, and even better of the L70. One thing is if you expect to experiment with different hp amps, speaker amps, dacs, you may want to go for separate units instead of the all in ones. I'm using a Sabaj a10h which sounds with great my hd-6xx on low and med gain, and measured pretty well here. It has pre outs unlike the a20h. I also use a passive Schiit SYS for an extra input between Roon streamer and computer audio, and an external small TPA3116 (I think) amp with passive Fostex single driver Kanspeas. Will be swapping in a Fosi v3 amp for the speakers to test, and may eventually get an L30 II or L70 just for comparison and wanting an additional hp amp with pre outs.

sraluch

I recently came accross something called an audioswitch headphone stand, it is not released yet, but as far as I'm concerned it ticks all the boxes. What is nice about it is that it doesn't require any drivers and it switches audio outputs autoamtically. Maybe it is worth keeping an eye on its development

Top Bottom