• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade To Matrix Audio Element I. Advice needed.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Looking for advice on a possible upgrade to Matrix Audio Element I

Current system is:

Chromecast Audio > Topping D50 > Naim NAP100 - Dynaudio M10s

Only music source is streaming from Tidal or Qubuz. No CDs or local files.

I want to get rid of some cables and improve sound quality so I’m planning to replace the Chromecast/D50 with an all in one streamer/DAC.

I’m considering the Element I. I’m hoping some members have this model, are using it with streaming services and can advise on one or more of the following.

1) Is this an overkill just to stream from Tidal or Qobuz?
2) How good is the MA Remote App? for example, how does it compare with the native Tidal App.
3) Should there be a noticeable improvement in sound quality.

tellsapfel

The price of the Element I seems too much compared to your speakers. I don´t think you would hear much of a difference or at all. A option could be a raspberry pi. And if you want get rid of another cable buy a dac hat for it and sell the d50.

OP
G

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Thanks very much for the quick response.
I’ve tried a raspberry pi/Allo Boss Dac with Volumio. Unfortunately, I didn’t like Volumio. It didn‘t interface very well with Tidal. Problem is once you’ve used the native Tidal App with Chromecast, something like Volumio is a poor compromise,
I’m hoping the MA Remote app is better, as it’s part of the overall price of the unit.

OP
G

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Over 10,000 ASR members and not one owns a Matrix Audio Element I ?

That’s surprising. It’s one of ASR’s most highly recommended DACs.

HemiRick

Thanks very much for the quick response.
I’ve tried a raspberry pi/Allo Boss Dac with Volumio. Unfortunately, I didn’t like Volumio.

Try Moode Audio it runs on the same hardware and It works w Tidal thru airplay so it uses Tidals interface.....Can your Chromecast run Tidal and airplay?

OP
G

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Try Moode Audio it runs on the same hardware and It works w Tidal thru airplay so it uses Tidals interface.....Can your Chromecast run Tidal and airplay?

I control the Chromecast from Android, so I don’t use AirPlay. Chromecast supports Tidal, Qubuz, Spotify. You just use the native apps on your Andoid (or Apple) device and cast to the Chromecast. I don’t think Chromecast supports Airplay.

A question about Moode Audio. Does it allow you to edit Tidal playlists?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Over 10,000 ASR members and not one owns a Matrix Audio Element I ?

That’s surprising. It’s one of ASR’s most highly recommended DACs.
I purchased an Element i about 2 weeks ago (from Power Holdings). Early impressions are very positive (coming from Sonos Port). It took a few days to get everything working consistently but the MA app is now consistent and the sound compared to the Port is markedly better. I had been comparing Spotify to Qobuz (and not hearing a difference) not realizing that the Port was limiting me to 24/45. When I upgraded to the Matrix the difference is now distinct, and I have always been a believer that CD was the best we could hear. FYI the Matrix does not have a digital out or a trigger, something I was unaware of prior to purchase. The power source for the i is a small wall wart and not a problem, I think all the fluff about linear power supplies is overblown, but if you want linear you'll need to go with the M or X. Same DAC chip in the M and i.

OP
G

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I purchased an Element i about 2 weeks ago (from Power Holdings). Early impressions are very positive (coming from Sonos Port). It took a few days to get everything working consistently but the MA app is now consistent and the sound compared to the Port is markedly better. I had been comparing Spotify to Qobuz (and not hearing a difference) not realizing that the Port was limiting me to 24/45. When I upgraded to the Matrix the difference is now distinct, and I have always been a believer that CD was the best we could hear. FYI the Matrix does not have a digital out or a trigger, something I was unaware of prior to purchase. The power source for the i is a small wall wart and not a problem, I think all the fluff about linear power supplies is overblown, but if you want linear you'll need to go with the M or X. Same DAC chip in the M and i.

Thanks for the feedback.

Actually, after spending some time reading various posts on this forum, I decided the Element i wasn’t for me.
I’m not convinced I would hear a significant improvement in sound quality over my CCA/Topping D50
Also, with this type of product the app is always the weakest link, so that would be a leap of faith for me. I’ve seen issues reported on this and other forums. Maybe they’ve been resolved now.

I‘ve decided to look at upgrading speakers instead.

Still, appreciate the feedback.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the feedback.

Actually, after spending some time reading various posts on this forum, I decided the Element i wasn’t for me.
I’m not convinced I would hear a significant improvement in sound quality over my CCA/Topping D50
Also, with this type of product the app is always the weakest link, so that would be a leap of faith for me. I’ve seen issues reported on this and other forums. Maybe they’ve been resolved now.

I‘ve decided to look at upgrading speakers instead.

Still, appreciate the feedback.
Hey no worries. I'm not overly familiar with Roon but since the Element products are Roon end points I believe that you can control them via the Roon interface and not deal with the MA app if you prefer. Best of luck with the speakers, I personally wish I had found Revels years ago. Would have saved me a lot of $$ :facepalm:

OP
G

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Hey no worries. I'm not overly familiar with Roon but since the Element products are Roon end points I believe that you can control them via the Roon interface and not deal with the MA app if you prefer. Best of luck with the speakers, I personally wish I had found Revels years ago. Would have saved me a lot of $$ :facepalm:

Tried Roon, but I didn’t like it‘s integration with Tidal. Maybe I’m just too picky with Apps.

How did you know I was upgrading to Revels?

Fabrizio 000

Ho acquistato un Element i circa 2 settimane fa (da Power Holdings). Le prime impressioni sono molto positive (provenienti da Sonos Port). Ci sono voluti alcuni giorni per far funzionare tutto in modo coerente, ma l'app MA ora è coerente e il suono rispetto al Port è notevolmente migliore. Stavo confrontando Spotify con Qobuz (e senza sentire alcuna differenza) senza rendermi conto che il Port mi stava limitando a 24/45. Quando sono passato a Matrix la differenza ora è netta, e ho sempre creduto che il CD fosse il migliore che potessimo ascoltare. Cordiali saluti, Matrix non ha un'uscita digitale o un trigger, qualcosa di cui non ero a conoscenza prima dell'acquisto. La fonte di alimentazione per la i è una piccola verruca da muro e non è un problema, penso che tutta la lanugine sugli alimentatori lineari sia esagerata, ma se vuoi la linearità dovrai andare con la M o la X.
Ciao, sto pensando anche io di comprare un element i, vengo da sonos connect. Sento musica liquida di quobuz ma ho letto che l'app non è ancora pronta per quobuz. Tu riesci ad utilizzare qobuz con Element i ?

Top Bottom