• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

Vhond

111112142.jpg

Wilson Audio

Waxx

Major Contributor
Sort of in his defense, I think he just likes playing with full range drivers, without taking them too seriously.
He consider himself as a speaker builder hobbyist with a love for oldskool fullrange systems. He stated that more than once on diyaudio.com where he is very active. I also think his speaker designs are not that good (as someone who likes good single driver fullrange speakers).

He knows quiet a lot about amp design altough. He makes coloured amps because he likes them and there is a public for it, but his older designs (for Treshold) and some of his Passlabs designs are very clean also. I know he is not known for that here, and he is more into discrete amps that are not popular here. But he is no noob of snake oil fool. He is playing in a niche of the market where he wants to be and earns enough to not bother the other parts. And his First Watt brand is especially targetted on low power coloured discrete transistor amps, not on clean hi tech amps. And Pass Labs is not only him anymore (like in the early days). A lot of designs are from other designers as he is quiet old and slowly handing over the brand i have the impression.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What the hell am I looking at? Is that a single driver?
Probably. I've seen more than one tiny full range driver with an elaborate cabinet. You're fighting for every bit of bass you can get, but the cone can't move far because of Doppler distortion :facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Waxx

Major Contributor
What the hell am I looking at? Is that a single driver?
I guess so, but it's by far not the most efficient way to get bass out of a fullrange driver. Better is to use a scoop (backloaded horn with compression chambre at the back of the driver) or even better, an MLTL type of speaker (inclusive a TQWT). The MLTL does reduce the cone movement needed to get bass volume (relies for that on the mass loaded pipe), so the doppler distortion is way less.

But if you want a clean neutral sound, off course you need a multiway... As much as i like single driver fullrange systems, i also know and recognise that. But i'm (for home listening for entertainment) not after the most clean sound, but the nicest sound to my ears (and that is coloured).

But anyway, back to topic.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Probably. I've seen more than one tiny full range driver with an elaborate cabinet. You're fighting for every bit of bass you can get, but the cone can't move far because of Doppler distortion :facepalm:
In principle, of course, you are right. On the other hand, if the horn works perfect, the cone does not have to make large movements. However, most of the time it does not work well in practice. I've tried a few myself, even with backloaded horns and TML. There are almost no good designs among them. (I know exceptions)
With front horns, the situation is quite different.

My picture: DIY backloaded horns with Fostex fullrange drivers, besides various Grencone speaker prototypes and CANTON Ergo floorstanders.
I took the photo on the occasion of a so-called 'Audio-Herrenabend' at my place.

1686145181965.jpeg

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In principle, of course, you are right. On the other hand, if the horn works perfect, the cone does not have to make large movements. However, most of the time it does not work well in practice. I've tried a few myself, even with backloaded horns and TML. There are almost no good designs among them. (I know exceptions)
With front horns, the situation is quite different.
Maybe with a huge front horn and a (huge) MLTL cabinet you can get somewhere. It's definitely a labor of love.

Top Bottom