• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

Waxx

Major Contributor
In principle, of course, you are right. On the other hand, if the horn works perfect, the cone does not have to make large movements. However, most of the time it does not work well in practice. I've tried a few myself, even with backloaded horns and TML. There are almost no good designs among them. (I know exceptions)
With front horns, the situation is quite different.

My picture: DIY backloaded horns with Fostex fullrange drivers, besides various Grencone speaker prototypes and CANTON Ergo floorstanders.
I took the photo on the occasion of a so-called 'Audio-Herrenabend' at my place.

View attachment 290772
That's the issue with many TL and horn type of speakers, they need to be designed right, and that is not easy (a lot of math). Many just make something that looks right without doing the math and get far from optimal designs. I don't do horns, because i don't have the skills yet, and it took years to understand TL types (so i only did a few yet, and i don't consider me an expert at all, i still need to learn a lot).

The fostex designed horns are not optimal, many better are out for those drivers by designers who know what they are doing (like Scott Lindgren or Martin J King). Idem with a lot of free TL plans on the web, only a few designers do it right, and they are often not the most expensive to get plans of...

olegtern

Wolf von Langa Swing:

c5d7ba4e9aeafc89c83dd671c91cb5d0.jpg

93b0805520300a4d495cfc50f662bb3e.jpg

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
That's the issue with many TL and horn type of speakers, they need to be designed right, and that is not easy (a lot of math). Many just make something that looks right without doing the math and get far from optimal designs. I don't do horns, because i don't have the skills yet, and it took years to understand TL types (so i only did a few yet, and i don't consider me an expert at all, i still need to learn a lot).

The fostex designed horns are not optimal, many better are out for those drivers by designers who know what they are doing (like Scott Lindgren or Martin J King). Idem with a lot of free TL plans on the web, only a few designers do it right, and they are often not the most expensive to get plans of...
Yes, yes, everything is correct. You learn a lot over time and I have also read the thick books. I simply enjoy learning about horns, which is why I attended also a multi-day course with Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h in Paris, and so on.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
1686147295839.jpeg

From some things I find today only small and bad pictures. One of the horn systems that impressed me incredibly, that was a big stereo set that Andrejs Staltmanis once built up at the Frickelfest. It was so incredibly good! Such a lively and overwhelming sound. The full-range drivers had been from Visaton. Anyone who knows Andrejs knows that he has an absolute talent for audio and always brings rare and great gear and music. After that, I built something similar myself. And Andrejs then visited me for two days to listen and came a long way. We had so much fun.

Speaking of calculating: The horn shape was not exactly calculated. As Andrejs told me, the speaker was created under the influence of vodka.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
In principle, of course, you are right. On the other hand, if the horn works perfect, the cone does not have to make large movements. However, most of the time it does not work well in practice. I've tried a few myself, even with backloaded horns and TML. There are almost no good designs among them. (I know exceptions)
With front horns, the situation is quite different.

My picture: DIY backloaded horns with Fostex fullrange drivers, besides various Grencone speaker prototypes and CANTON Ergo floorstanders.
I took the photo on the occasion of a so-called 'Audio-Herrenabend' at my place.

View attachment 290772
I think that for a horn to work well at the lowest frequencies, it would have to be prohibitively large.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I think that for a horn to work well at the lowest frequencies, it would have to be prohibitively large.
This is actually true and in the vast majority of cases, you need at least 2 ways. The full range horn I showed under #845, however, did not show any lack of low frequency or high frequency. Sceptics will probably not believe me, but I do not care. There is no substitute for personal experience. By the way, I remembered what kind of driver was in it. It was the Visaton B200.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe with a huge front horn and a (huge) MLTL cabinet you can get somewhere. It's definitely a labor of love.
The Klipsch Klipschorn is still an unusual design even though they appear to be common because they have been in production so long.

KHORNFloorstandingSpeaker.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Klipsch Klipschorn is still an unusual design even though they appear to be common because they have been in production so long.

Once you put them in a corner, it is a big horn. Not sure where the MLTL is there.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor

I remember a friend using them as party speakers in his loft. I thought they were good for that. ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember a friend using them as party speakers in his loft. I thought they were good for that. ;)
Maybe with enough EQ they could be brought up to snuff. I have read that one of the big problems was the delay through the bass horn making the crossover impossible. These days digital delay on the midrange is also easy.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I've played on a soundsystem with Kiplishhorns and danley TH118's as sub, but with dsp (BSS Omnidrive at that time) to time align and eq all. And like that it was fun to play on.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When using an uncommon abbreviation or acronym, please spell out the meaning the first time it is used. I puzzled over MLTL, too, since I do not work with speakers at all. I just listen to 'em.
OK. It's a very common acronym among speaker designers, but I'll be more explicit.

Top Bottom