• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Understanding Grounding in Audio (Video)

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Sounds like the ground connector of the RCA broke of inside the sub and you reconnected it Macgyver style. No safety issue.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have an interesting problem with my Zen Dac + Zen Can stack. It has a ground noise with balanced connection and when i touch the chassis of the amp it gets louder. @amirm

I tested all the possible combinations. I get ground noise only when i connect Zen Dac and Zen Can via 4.4mm balanced cable and nothing else. In other scenarios there is no ground noise except when i only listen Zen Can without any input from the DAC, just powered on. In this case, ground noise happens only when i touch to the volume knob.

RCA connection clean, RCA+BAL connection clean. BAL only connection= ground noise. Also, whatever i do, i get coil whine type of noise when i touch to the volume knob. It disappears only when i touch to the chassis at the same time. One finger on volume knob, one finger on chassis= no coil whine.

The sound from RCA or Balanced connection leaks to other inputs as well. Let's say i connect my dac and amp via RCA cables and i choose the 3.5mm or Balanced input of the amp, i hear the music through these inputs at high gain/volume knob positions. The sound leaks from RCA to 3.5mm+4.4mm BAL input and vice versa.

I find this interesting. Any insight what is going on ?

Top Bottom