• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Understanding Grounding in Audio (Video)

Agent86

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I checked the Lampizator specs and Pass labs. The former has quite a high impedance for a DAC but the Pass also has high impedance so should be fine. One spec that is missing is the output voltage from Lapizator. I am wondering if it is too high which would correlate with clipping when things get loud.

Are you in US?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
And the Pass Labs amp will work with the RCA out from a basic CD player, but not from the Lampizator DAC, which causes a lot of noise.

There is the remote chance that the Lampizator has a poor post filter and is having lots of HF output signal (needs to be measured) which gives problems in the Pass. The CD player won't have that ultrasonic crap for sure.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, in San Francisco.
I asked because I am very interested in measuring the Lampi. If you send it over for testing, I can also verify proper operation. Shipping will be quite reasonable as well since you are so close to me.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is the remote chance that the Lampizator has a poor post filter and is having lots of HF output signal (needs to be measured) which gives problems in the Pass. The CD player won't have that ultrasonic crap for sure.
That could certainly be one explanation.

Agent86

I checked the Lampizator specs and Pass labs. The former has quite a high impedance for a DAC but the Pass also has high impedance so should be fine. One spec that is missing is the output voltage from Lapizator. I am wondering if it is too high which would correlate with clipping when things get loud.

Are you in US?

A newer of the GG Dac says voltage output in 3v.

Amir, where are you located?

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superi...uest.&text=Lukasz Fikus Lampizator Private Co.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A newer of the GG Dac says voltage output in 3v.
3 volts over RCA is too high (2 volt is the standard). The Pass amp also has rather high gain which aggravates that.

One quick thing you could try is to get an RCA to XLR connector and use that to drive to the Pass amp. The XLR input has lower gain and may remedy this issue at least.

Amir, where are you located?
I am in Seattle area.

Agent86

3 volts over RCA is too high (2 volt is the standard). The Pass amp also has rather high gain which aggravates that.

One quick thing you could try is to get an RCA to XLR connector and use that to drive to the Pass amp. The XLR input has lower gain and may remedy this issue at least.

I am in Seattle area.

Ok, I Amir 'll try an RCA-XLR adapter and then see if that works. I'll PM you subsequently to discuss testing options.

Agent86

I contacted Pass Labs and they had a similar diagnosis that the amp is being overloaded by the DAC. Instead of the XLR adaptors, they suggested an RCA attenuator. I'll try both to see if that isolates the problem.

https://www.parts-express.com/Harrison-Labs-6-dB-RCA-Line-Level-Attenuator-Pair-266-242

Last edited by a moderator:

zajogungster

[QUOTE = "Propheticus, príspevok: 709469, člen: 22280"] Čo je s nepriateľstvom? Iba som navrhoval súvisiacu tému, ktorá by mohla byť zábavná a mohla by sa hodiť do rovnakej série videí.
Občas ponúka laickú radu, že zástrčky je potrebné pripísať správnym spôsobom. Veľmi som pochyboval, že by to bolo problematické, inak by boli zástrčky vyrobené tak, aby sa dali vložiť iba jedným (správnym) spôsobom.
Momentálne, že by som mohol skúsiť experimentovať, ale nemám meracie zariadenie v hodnote desiatok tisíc.
Vo svojom nastavení nepočujem žiadny rozdiel, ale aký je to záver pre vás alebo pre tvrdo bojujúcich audiofilov s arzenálom pseudovedeckých poznatkov a „poznatkov“ o hadom oleji? [/ QUOTE]
[QUOTE = "Chris M, príspevok: 709693, člen: 21322"] Aj v Európe v nemecky hovoriacej oblasti o tom ľudia premýšľali.
http://www.2pi-online.de/Was_ist_Masse_1.pdf alebo
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...WMAZ6BAgEEAI&usg=AOvVaw2BvoV182lyKcmgaZZ26bkI [/ Citovať ]

Agent86

Sounds good. Keep us posted. And at any rate, I am very interested in testing your DAC. :)

Ok, so the Harrison RCA in-line attenuators worked like a charm, banishing the static and distortion caused by the Lampizator's 3v output to to my Pass Labs integrated. As I do more reading, I'm discovering I'm not the only person suffering from an aggressive DAC/source that overloads an amp. Short of getting a Lamp DAC with a volume control, my choices are: 1) stick with the Harrison attenuators attached at the end of my interconnects. 2) have someone build me a better in-line attenuator by soldering higher-spec resistors inside my ICs. 3) get a passive pre-amp or attenuator.

Yes, Amir, I do know you still want to test my Lamp Dac. :)

Agent86

I think there is a forth alternative: let me test the Lampi, sell it then and buy something that doesn't need a patch like this. :)

I've been thinking about selling it in favor of a Lamp model with volume control. And if you would like to purchase it, I would be more than willing to sell at a very reasonable price. I'm sure you also have the technical know-how to switch the default output setting to 2v, so you can enjoy the DAC and test it to your heart's content!

Agent86

I think there is a forth alternative: let me test the Lampi, sell it then and buy something that doesn't need a patch like this. :)

Stirring the pot one more time on this, as there's going to be an elimination challenge between these two components. The Lamp DAC puts out 3v, thereby overloading my Pass Labs Integrated Amp and causing it to clip. As a long-term fix, I don't want to go the RCA in-line attenuator route or insert a passive preamp in front on an integrated amp. The differences are irreconcilable and hence one of the components below will pack its styrofoam inserts and depart from my audio chain in great shame.

1) Pass Labs Int-60

2) Lampizator Golden Gate Dac V1 (R2R); SE, no volume control.

Now, in terms of system-matching, what would be the desired specs for possible replacement options? I need the input of the ASR cognescenti on this.

If I keep the Pass integrated amplifier and replace the Lampizator DAC, then I imagine that most any DAC that puts out 2v fixed (or with volume control) would not overload my amp.

If I keep the Lamp DAC, and replace the Pass Int 60, what sensitivity specs should I look for in another integrated amplifier or power amp so that it is not over-driven by the Lampizator DAC? Would it be better to get a power amp (or an integrated with pre-bypass option) and use a passive preamp as an attenuator?

Thank you!

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I’ve asked this elsewhere.

If I have a system - PC, DAC, headphone amp, and I’m getting no ground loop hum, if I replace the DAC in exactly the same place, can I now get a new ground loop?

Xenio

I have a huge hummm in my sub, probably cuz someone forced the LFE in a bit much and maybe broke something inside.

I've made this to remove the problem, do you think it's safe ?

2022-01-0212.44.354575955316556607972.jpg

Attachments

• 2022-01-0212.43.391777322217087864893.jpg
    2022-01-0212.43.391777322217087864893.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 65

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a huge hummm in my sub, probably cuz someone forced the LFE in a bit much and maybe broke something inside.

I've made this to remove the problem, do you think it's safe ?

View attachment 176147
I'm actually curious to know if this made any difference with your hum problem. Otherwise, seems harmless to me…at least from the perspective of electrical safety.

Xenio

Yeah my question was about electrical safety, thanks !

And yes it totally removed all of the buzzing sound ! And this sound was more than just a gentle humm/buzzing, the subwoofer was litteraly unusable.
Pretty sure the grounding of the connector inside is severed

Top Bottom