• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uncompromising DIY loudspeakers

OP
Adi777

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The priority will be the most faithful sound, as neutral, mega dynamic and mega clean as possible. Zero colorization of the sound.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The priority will be the most faithful sound, as neutral, mega dynamic and mega clean as possible. Zero colorization of the sound.

Hearing this, I assume and highly recommend you multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier stereo setup should be your way to go!

As I wrote here, Even Greg Timbers, former chief engineer and designer in JBL, is/was on "that way" with "his" Everest DD67000;
WS002444.JPG

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm very curious about compare this JBL with Genelec 1236A.

Would you please compare/consider not only the total physical setups but also the price for SP and amps...

I assume that you also need to compare the amount and nature of your indispensable efforts in order to accomplish your "uncompromising" audio system. There are so many important and critical factors in multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier stereo system like I went through for several years as shared on my project thread.

If you are seriously interested, you can find the Hyperlink Index for my project here and here.

Mojo Warrior

Here is my suggestion. A omni-directional large tower speaker. Requires a larger room because of its size and omni-directional design. $1254 USD for parts. Find someone to cut the cabinet to the specifications (schematics provided) preferably Baltic Birch. You can finish the exterior to your tastes.

I have never heard a stereo speaker system exceed the performance of these speakers in 45 years. Excels with everything from folk to EDM. So probably around $2000 USD + your time. This is not a complicated kit to build, the crossover is very simple which is part of the elegance of the design. The designer was very famous for his line of speakers back in the 1970s.

Ra1zel

OP
Adi777

Adi777

Allright. Yesterday I was first time in my live in the audio salon during listening sessions. Revel 228, Audiovector, and Monitor Audio PL500II. Streamer some Aurender, Moon 600i - propably V2 version. Acoustic - I don't now, but listening room is without acoustic systems. Very, very similar sound from these all speakers. No bad, but also nothing, hmm, special? It' really curious for me. In my house I listen music from Hifiman Deva Pro, and Edifier S3000 Pro, so I I was expecting something more...
Tge boggsst difference between Revel and Audiovector R6 Avantgarde was bass. Audiovector had a more. The rest was really similar.

OP
Adi777

Adi777

Next time, I will make a blind test between Revel PerformaBE 228BE and Audiovector R6 Avantgarde. But, I have a question for You guys. It' s sense to make a blind test without a some kind of switch for very fast changing a speakers???

Mojo Warrior

Next time, I will make a blind test between Revel PerformaBE 228BE and Audiovector R6 Avantgarde. But, I have a question for You guys. It' s sense to make a blind test without a some kind of switch for very fast changing a speakers???

You are correct

OP
Adi777

Adi777

You are correct
About blind test? But what about listening without switch, without fast changing speakers? I ask, because I know about very short listen memory.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keith of @Puite Audio kindly wrote here;
"You must hear equipment in your own room in your own system, compare unsighted if there isn’t an immediately apparent difference/improvement. To go further if there isn’t a significant improvement then don’t change anything, the largest gains are speakers and room. Keith"

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mojo Warrior

You are correct
A speaker switching box is the preferred method. They have been available for at least half a century. Simple and inexpensive. It is the responsibility of a seller/retailer to provide one to demonstrate speakers properly. Its a simple question to ask before considering whether you should trust the seller.

OP
Adi777

Adi777

A speaker switching box is the preferred method. They have been available for at least half a century. Simple and inexpensive. It is the responsibility of a seller/retailer to provide one to demonstrate speakers properly. Its a simple question to ask before considering whether you should trust the seller.
Hmm, the lounge owner told me they don't use such a switch as they spoil the sound...

Mojo Warrior

Hmm, the lounge owner told me they don't use such a switch as they spoil the sound...
The lounge owner is a liar and you should shop elsewhere. He assumes you are either naive or stupid.

I worked in a stereo shop many years ago and we routinely A/B speakers as a sales tool to demonstrate the different characteristics of speakers on offer. These switching boxes do not affect the sound and are very simple electrical devices. There is no "voodoo" inside them.

Top Bottom