• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uncompromising DIY loudspeakers

OWC

Surely, that project isn't though just that but an extreme implementation also for movies and very low seat to seat deviation, more a (extreme) hobby task of some very passionate hobbyist who wants to put the bar as high as he can and where the long design and implementation path is rather the target than the final result.
Yes, as I said, not a single bad word about the execution, I agree it's a very cool project.

But I consider this for like 80% audio nerdism and 20% actual useful sound reproduction.
A low seat deviation is nice and all, but if there aren't many seats to begin with or in general never used, why bother?
But I guess I am just way to practical for it.

Practicality is an essential part of compromises to begin with, (going back on topic)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A low seat deviation is nice and all, but if there aren't many seats to begin with or in general never used, why bother?
It seems he uses quite many though.

But I guess I am just way to practical for it.
I am also rather like you and a fan of the Pareto principle but

Practicality is an essential part of compromises to begin with, (going back on topic)
the topic of this thread was "Uncompromising" though.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is probably getting a little philosophical, but since practicality is part of compromising, that also means it is part of uncompromising.
In technical terms, it's a variable in the equation not a constant.
Also in the end everything is a compromise, so the only thing that matters is which sets of compromises bring someone the closest to his list of priorities.

OP
Adi777

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Restricting music to 2 channels is an unnecessary compromise,
Why is listening to music in stereo a compromise? It's more of a choice.

captainbeefheart

Newman

Major Contributor
Because research has clearly demonstrated that multichannel audio offers a sound quality that is significantly preferred by listeners. For a lot more detail on why this is true, and how it was demonstrated, I commend to you the book Sound Reproduction, by Dr Floyd Toole.

2-channel is definitely a compromise.

captainbeefheart

"The single-channel, hard-panned signal of a news reader
is perceived as originating in the center-channel loud-
speaker localized within the listening room; the loud-
speaker itself is the real source of sound. If spatial cues, in
the form of real or simulated reflections, are incorporated
into a good multichannel recording, they can make the
loudspeakers less obvious and can cause the apparent
sound source to seem farther away and the room to seem
larger. A psychoacoustic perspective on what is happening
in these instances would be able to indicate the character-
istics of both local and recorded early reflections neces-
sary to establish dominance in our perception of distance.
Hints that the perception of distance is more driven by
monaural cues than binaural cues [27] are encouraging,
given the limited number of channels available in our au-
dio systems. However, if there is even an element of
“plausibility” in distance perception, it may be difficult not
to be influenced by walls and loudspeakers that we can
see. More research is needed on this important topic."

-Toole

I take this as that with reflections within a good multichannel recording establishes dominance in our perception of distance. He seems to think that the perceptual distance is driven more monaural cues vs binaural cues which then means we still get good sound from less speakers.

Last edited:

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, I meant the stereo system for listening to music, not cinema room.
Same answer, but you can skip the center channel & video.

And your OP asked why, which is a fair question. The lesson to take from Follgott's projects - and there are plenty of other DIYers with similar method - is that max-effort means considering the whole system. Speakers simply cannot work to the highest levels unless they are designed along with the room's acoustics.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
TLDR for the most part. My attention was piqued by the desire for no comprises, yet being an in-home setup. Kinda tough request then. Depends what you want to reproduce to an extent, but it's all a compromise in so many ways. DIY or no. Altho I think you can get damn close for less $ with diy....but kinda depends on what you expect from aesthetics too.

Tangband

Major Contributor
The stereo system is flawed. At best, you can only get an illusion of the real event with 2 channels.

Building 2 speakers gives you better speakers than building 5 speakers for the same money , so the reality is mixed.

OWC

so the reality is mixed.
The reality is that first of all most recordings are not optimized for proper surround listening.
Second is that it's quite an hassle to set it all up and get it right.
In fact, even a multi-sub system is for many people already "to much work" and "to difficult".

But most importantly that apparently people don't seem to be bothered about it so much so that they don't enjoy good music.

bothu

Compromised DIY system with high WAF.
We can live happily with this for everyday use.

Start building your own speakers and get more experienced after each "project".

S 1.jpg
S 2.jpg
S 4.jpg

/ Bo Thunér - Sweden

OP
Adi777

Adi777

Start building your own speakers
No, it's not for me. I'm too lazy for this ;), and have not to much time...
Nice speakers :)

TLDR for the most part. My attention was piqued by the desire for no comprises, yet being an in-home setup. Kinda tough request then.
I understand that it would be best to build a separate building for music? :eek: ;) Maybe someday :D
I will have an audio system in my living room, but acoustically adapted as well as possible.
It's a pity that I won't have a listening room, but well ...
I think the living room should be great.
Aesthetics? "Almost" doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
The reality is that first of all most recordings are not optimized for proper surround listening.
Second is that it's quite an hassle to set it all up and get it right.
In fact, even a multi-sub system is for many people already "to much work" and "to difficult".

But most importantly that apparently people don't seem to be bothered about it so much so that they don't enjoy good music.
Thats true. Most people seems to be confident with blutooth and mono sources running at 128 kbit/s in the kitchen.
How many are real hifi-enthusiasts ? Maybe 1 %.
5.1 has turned out to be mainly for movies, but there are some good recordings with live music made in this format. Eagles ”Hell freezes over” are one of those.

Jonasz

OWC

Thats true. Most people seems to be confident with blutooth and mono sources running at 128 kbit/s in the kitchen.
How many are real hifi-enthusiasts ? Maybe 1 %.
5.1 has turned out to be mainly for movies, but there are some good recordings with live music made in this format. Eagles ”Hell freezes over” are one of those.
I was talking about hifi-enthusiasts and "audiophiles" (whatever that word means)

mightycicadalord

The stereo system is flawed. At best, you can only get an illusion of the real event with 2 channels.

Building 2 speakers gives you better speakers than building 5 speakers for the same money , so the reality is mixed.

Ah yes the chase for the "real event" without any context :rolleyes:

Top Bottom