• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uncoloured phono cartridges

JP

Major Contributor
There are 10 dB harmonic distortion differences in the graphs @JPJ posted upthread.

And not like -90 vs -100. Like -10 vs -20.

That's not THD, that's the level the 2nd and 3rd harmonic are at that instantaneous frequency. To illustrate, this is the V15-VMR playing a 1kHz reference tone. THD is 0.51%.

V15V-1K.png

[EDIT: Adding FR so both are in the same place]

V15VMR350pF_TRS1007.png

Last edited:

levimax

Major Contributor
Do you have the 103R or the 'regular' 103?

My DL-103 is the vanilla version.

But I've been contemplating getting the DL-A110 version just for....historical reasons, I guess.

I have the 103R.... not sure how much difference there really is...... I don't buy into 99.9999% pure copper making much difference although there are some other differences apparently. I have more the 500 hours ( a lot more) so probably time for a re-tip. The Denon carts have been around for 60 years for a reason.... carts aren't like DAC's with new technology coming out every month.... they pretty much had it down 60 years ago.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I have the 103R.... not sure how much difference there really is...... I don't buy into 99.9999% pure copper making much difference although there are some other differences apparently. I have more the 500 hours ( a lot more) so probably time for a re-tip. The Denon carts have been around for 60 years for a reason.... carts aren't like DAC's with new technology coming out every month.... they pretty much had it down 60 years ago.

They're so cheap, though; vanilla DL-103 is only $299.

Isn't it easier to just buy a new one?

Unless you want to re-tip to a different stylus / cant.

levimax

Major Contributor
They're so cheap, though; vanilla DL-103 is only $299.

Isn't it easier to just buy a new one?

Unless you want to re-tip to a different stylus / cant.
The 103R's are up to $408 + tax on Amazon.... I only paid $250 for it a couple years ago. I was going to get it re-tipped with an elliptical which is $200.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
@watchnerd Especially interested to hear a comparison between the VM540ml and the Art 9, if the inclination and opportunity for some rips arise.

Here you go:

IMG_0110.jpg

The ART9XA is pretty low output (0.2mV) which requires a lot of gain and runs into the noise floor of the Devialet phono stage.

I made these without a SUT, so you may hear some hiss in the quiet parts, although I don't hear it through speakers unless my ear is next to the tweeter or I crank the volume way up with no music playing.

Kenny Burrell, "Chili Con Carne":

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cTLiquUHuNaDS1-ffnodxVnvk4hgt0lR/view?usp=sharing

Herbie Hancock, "Chameleon":

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qs4m4GFAnwyfGwzuTm9SwmsJ9CJVtFw0/view?usp=sharing

Dire Straits, "Telegraph Road":

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-99_hSAvqoiyimq_1f8Z5WOTvJf687zm/view?usp=sharing

Happy New Year!

Last edited:

pastorbarrett

OK, useless subjective impressions incoming - cartridge B is more amenable to my ears and/or system.

As a value proposition, whichever it is, the AT is good, if not great, depending on outcome!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This may be a difference between playing over speakers vs headphones (speakers were off during rips), though, where sympathetic output from the speakers interacts with the TT in some way.
It does.
I found if you want to have a rip which sounds like playing the LP the added reverb of having the sound exciting the TT is an important part of getting the same sound recorded in the rip.

JP

Major Contributor
LOL. I thought, I have that series buy don't recall seeing Midnight Blue. I have both of those, plus both the Music Matters versions.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
LOL. I thought, I have that series buy don't recall seeing Midnight Blue. I have both of those, plus both the Music Matters versions.

If it wasn't for Discogs, I would forget what I had. ;)

In fact, I've re-purchased things I forgot I owned.

It took me several weeks to enter my collection, little by little, but now I'm glad I put in the effort.

JP

Major Contributor
Never listened to the AP version before - giving it a listen now.

Top Bottom