• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uncoloured phono cartridges

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ignoring such undefined subjective terms such as 'warm' or 'smooth', and looking at published frequency response graphs for cartridges, it seems to me that they're all coloured to some extent. Most have a rise in high frequencies, some have a dip at around 2-8 kHz before the hf rise. MM cartridges can be corrected to some extent by adjusting capacitative and if necessary, resistive loading, whilst MC carts are pretty much what they are. If neutrality is the aim, then the best suggestion I can make is to have an external equaliser after the RIAA preamp, and correct the frequency response then. Buy a cartridge that tracks well, and has reasonably low distortion and crosstalk, then separately equalise the frequency response.

S

Well stated! This!

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I hope I did not miss this in the thread.

There is a device called Sugar Cube made by Sweet Vinyl: https://sweetvinyl.com

I think it digitalizes the signal and electronically removes the clicks and pops... arguably the most annoying issue with vinyl.

Has anyone tried one?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a device called Sugar Cube ...I think it digitalizes the signal and electronically removes the clicks and pops... arguably the most annoying issue with vinyl.
If I go the Stereophile/Absolute Sound route and spend twenty thousand dollars on my turntable, ten thousand dollars on my tonearm, five thousand dollars on my cartridge... If I spend that kind of money in order to Fremerize my analog experience, then I want those pops, clicks, ticks and skips that I've paid top dollar for. I want to breathe that rarefied Analog Planet atmosphere! :)

JP

Major Contributor
Aligned a Kleos for someone today. It was a really fun listen. Next time I'm out there I'll bring my measurement gear and get a sweep of it.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I got my STR 100 records, and ordered the rest the auction site seller had, as I was impressed with the price and quality. Hopefully 6 NOS copies will last my lifetime.

The blasted OC9XML still hasn't shipped from HiFi Heaven!

... looks like they wait for credit card payment to clear before shipping, which has not happened in 7 days so far. Absurd if their price is not highly competitive. Credit cards are perfectly friendly to sellers with protection. They just screw everyone with seller fees. HiFi Heaven must have made an incorrect assessment of the protections based on an anomaly. I paid full MSRP. Seriously, what BS! None of their competitors make consumers wait after the payment is approved for more.than a week extra because their managers do not understand how financial.transactiins are processed. I regret choosing them. If I could easily do it again I would go with Upscale Audio or another vendor who has this somewhat scarce cartridge in stock.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I got my STR 100 records, and ordered the rest the auction site seller had, as I was impressed with the price and quality. Hopefully 6 NOS copies will last my lifetime.

The blasted OC9XML still hasn't shipped from HiFi Heaven!

... looks like they wait for credit card payment to clear before shipping, which has not happened in 7 days so far. Absurd if their price is not highly competitive.

I just order my carts straight from Audio Technica.

It looks the the $549 price is the same at both websites:

https://hifiheaven.net/shop/Audio-Technica-AT-OC9XML-Dual-Moving-Coil-Cartridge?search=oc9xml

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/cartridges/line-series/at-oc9x-series/at-oc9xml

EDIT: Ah, not in stock on the AT store at the moment...

Helicopter

Major Contributor
You bought 6 copies of the same STR 100??

Trying to corner the market....
I wasn't planning to resell them, but I can't let a great bargain go. They are sealed NOS from another era. My Analog Productions record cost more tham 2x the price and is only worth half as much to me so yes.

I just order my carts straight from Audio Technica.

It looks the the $549 price is the same at both websites:

https://hifiheaven.net/shop/Audio-Technica-AT-OC9XML-Dual-Moving-Coil-Cartridge?search=oc9xml

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/cartridges/line-series/at-oc9x-series/at-oc9xml

EDIT: Ah, not in stock on the AT store at the moment...
They were sold out last week. I also prefer to order direct when prices are the same. Third party vendors are not necessary online if the producer is competent at selling.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The seller has another dozen copies of STR-100 up now, so I didn't snatch them all up.

Cornering the market is not unattractive. I bet these will fetch $40-60 once no one is selling them for $19.

muskrat

It's really easy to measure yourself at home if you have a test disk.

You don't even need specialized measurement gear as most cartridges will start to audibly mis-track or even skip on the hardest torture tracks.

(I've heard some people say carts can even jump out of the groove, but I've never witnessed that)
I have, popped up 1/4 inch. I've seen the Grado dance too.

Top Bottom