• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uncoloured phono cartridges

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Another option on turning off RIAA for use with flat test disks.

Parks Audio confirmed that the Puffin can also disable RIAA completely.

To quote their email to me:

"Go to EQ on the main menu and change to Line In (from Phono)."

Last edited:

JP

Major Contributor
What resistance are you using in that instance?

99R. Couldn't remember so I had to peak.

IMG_5521.jpeg

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The VM540ML is repeatedly making me feel like an idiot.

This is the first cartridge I've had with a flip down stylus guard.

So at least half a dozen times now I've cued up the record only to have it bounce out of the lead-in groove, which causes me to reflexively think my anti-skate is all messed up.

But, no....I'm just a moron who isn't habituated to this feature.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The VM540ML is repeatedly making me feel like an idiot.

This is the first cartridge I've had with a flip down stylus guard.

So at least half a dozen times now I've cued up the record only to have it bounce out of the lead-in groove, which causes me to reflexively think my anti-skate is all messed up.

But, no....I'm just a moron who isn't habituated to this feature.
I did that once, so I don't use the guard now. Hence I will probably now smash the cantilever into the platter like I did with another cart, getting the arm out of the rest with the VPI's slightly flawed design.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For what it's worth, I got the following results for my Ortofon 2M Red using the following:

Behringer UCA202 as capture device
Douglas Self-designed Precision Preamplifier for RIAA
TrueRTA software
Audio Technica AT120USB turntable
Analog Productions: The Ultimate Analog Test LP AAPT1, Side 1 Track 6

I was disappointed that the test lp did not contain a contain a continuous 20 Hz to 20 kHz sweep as I'd have liked to see the effect of the preamplifier's low frequency filter. Otherwise, I got similar results from 1 kHz to 20 kHz when using the LP120USB's built-in preamplifier, including rising high frequency response at 20 kHz.

Question: If the use of DSP is assumed, how cheaply can we achieve good-as-it-gets LP playback: Maybe a $250 MM cart with decently low distortion and quiet phono preamp and MiniDSP 2x4HD are all that's needed?

Attachments

• Ortofon 2M Red Precision Preamplifier.jpg
    Ortofon 2M Red Precision Preamplifier.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 110

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Question: If the use of DSP is assumed, how cheaply can we achieve good-as-it-gets LP playback: Maybe a $250 MM cart with decently low distortion and quiet phono preamp and MiniDSP 2x4HD are all that's needed?

Good as it gets LP playback should have a channel separation in the range of 30 dB or better @ 1kHz.

I haven't seen that in any $250 MM.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Good enough isn't as good as it gets. ;)

And, yes, it would rule out a lot of cartridges -- but "good as it gets" lists do that.

If you want to say "good enough" or "adequate", sure.

FWIW, I have a few carts that hit that number, but they're not $250. And 3 out of the 4 are MC. None are insanity priced.

The AT33EV hits that benchmark at $469, but elliptical styli aren't as good as it gets. $100 more gets you the AT33PTG/II (I don't own one, but I've heard them) which comes with an ML stylus.

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good enough isn't as good as it gets. ;)
Really just needs to be good enough to mess with audiophile friend's minds without going too far off the deep end myself! Bearing in mind that almost all records are warped and off-center to some degree, and that it's tricky to keep low frequency energy from the environment from entering the playback system.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Really just needs to be good enough to mess with audiophile friend's minds without going too far off the deep end myself! Bearing in mind that almost all records are warped and off-center to some degree, and that it's tricky to keep low frequency energy from the environment from entering the playback system.

It's hard to put a technical definition on the edge of sanity.

But it's difficult to argue against the value/$ of the AT33PTG/II. You get 30 dB of channel separation, a fancy MicroLine stylus, a decently low inductance, a tolerable .3 mV output, a boron cantilever, and the ability to ignore cable capacitance for entry-level-MC price.

I'd take it over the new $999 2M Black LvB for 45% less.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
It's hard to put a technical definition on the edge of sanity.

But it's difficult to argue against the value/$ of the AT33PTG/II. You get 30 dB of channel separation, a fancy MicroLine stylus, a decently low inductance, a tolerable .3 mV output, a boron cantilever, and the ability to ignore cable capacitance for entry-level-MC price.

I'd take it over the new $999 2M Black LvB for 45% less.
How about AT33PTG/II over OC9X-ML? The latter only 27dB separation, but in a much prettier package. I don't really understand why they carry both these lines... I also don't really get Art9. I guess you get 30dB and a.body that falls in between for a lot more money. I know there is more to it, but I don't rwally.see it on their website.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
How about AT33PTG/II over OC9X-ML? The latter only 27dB separation, but in a much prettier package. I don't really understand why they carry both these lines... I also don't really get Art9. I guess you get 30dB and a.body that falls in between for a lot more money. I know there is more to it, but I don't rwally.see it on their website.

As far as I can tell, from listening, is that the AT33PTG/II and OC9X-ML are voiced a little differently, which may come down to nothing more than body resonance differences.

They're exactly the same price, so it doesn't fit into some kind of pricing tier axis.

The ART9XA (not XI or the old ART9) is unique amongst the line, except for the ART1000, as being air-cored, with super duper low inductance.

Last edited:

JP

Major Contributor
Pneumatic feet.

JP

Major Contributor
Pneumatic feet.

Woods valve. An investigation I need to restart as I wasn't able to find valves that could hold
a seal under such low pressure.

IMG_5570.jpeg

Top Bottom