• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uncoloured phono cartridges

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That's an xMR - different motor and stylus assembly.

Step up or a step down?

Sorry. I'm not very familiar with Shure's offerings as they quit making carts either right when I got into vinyl, or shortly thereafter.

Edit: nope, they exited far later than I recalled, in 2018.

JP

Major Contributor
I've never owned one, but purported to be a step down.

Here's a Denon DL-S1. That's it for now. I'm hungry.

1005_DL-S1.png

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Just got the 45 RPM version of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" today and put the VM540ML to work.

With this kind of classic rock, I can see why people like this cart.

Whereas the brightness sounded over-brassy on jazz, on classic rock it makes guitar strings sound more metallic and vibrant and the often-overly-dry studio drums of the era take on a bit more snap and air.

It's much more "fun" on this kind of music than the MP-500, sounding more raucous and rockin than the less bright Nagaoka.

So I'm going to call it colored, but fun.

If I was going to have a bunch of friends over to play them classic rock records while we drank and ate takeout, this would be my pick.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Just got the 45 RPM version of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" today and put the VM540ML to work.

With this kind of classic rock, I can see why people like this cart.

Whereas the brightness sounded over-brassy on jazz, on classic rock it makes guitar strings sound more metallic and vibrant and the often-overly-dry studio drums of the era take on a bit more snap and air.

It's much more "fun" on this kind of music than the MP-500, sounding more raucous and rockin than the less bright Nagaoka.

If I was going to have a bunch of friends over to play them classic rock records while we had drank and ate takeout, this would be my pick.
45RMP Rumors... Best female and male vocals ever. Thanks. Just dropped another $120 on this and a couple Will Shatner records also in my shopping cart. That is another 3 days of hobby money not going to cartriges. I hope you can still look in the mirror! (Good tip.)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
45RMP Rumors... Best female and male vocals ever. Thanks. Just dropped another $120 on this and a couple Will Shatner records also in my shopping cart. That is another 3 days of hobby money not going to cartriges. I hope you can still look in the mirror! (Good tip.)

The combination of this cart and that album makes me start thinking I want a 2 arm set up.

Hmmmm.

My Michell can take 2 arms, and I still have a spare Jelco 750-D and arm board for the Gyro. And the Devialet can be reconfigured to have 2 phono inputs....

Maybe one neutral, flat, LOMC for serious listening and one rockin MM for fun mode?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The combination of this cart and that album makes me start thinking I want a 2 arm set up.

Hmmmm.

My Michell can take 2 arms, and I still have a spare Jelco 750-D and arm board for the Gyro. And the Devialet can be reconfigured to have 2 phono inputs....

Maybe one neutral, flat, LOMC for serious listening and one rockin MM for fun mode?
SL1200-G + 52mm overhang is calling tour soul

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
SL1200-G + 52mm overhang is calling tour soul

You want me to have two TT's on not just two tonearms?

I wouldn't have room unless I mounted the Devialet on the floor or wall.

Or made a little a shelf to stick it under and stuck the reel-to-reel deck on top of it.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
You want me to have two TT's on not just two tonearms?

I wouldn't have room unless I mounted the Devialet on the floor or wall.

Or made a little a shelf to stick it under and stuck the reel-to-reel deck on top of it.
Srsly, if you need a shelf, PM me. I have a lumberyard, and some tools. I can do some Kreg pocket joints with good American plywood NP.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

I was planning on setting up two tables exactly as you describe. The VM540 on the Kenwood for party time, the 310mc for a quiet listening session...

Robin L

Master Contributor
Collectibles, with the exception of one I already have, a 1st pressing of Transformed Man, which is unintentionally ironic and actually sort of interesting.
And this is worth it---not necessarily as an LP, but as three minutes of pure rant.

killdozzer

Major Contributor

Aaarrrrgh... I thought I had it sorted. I'm not in for a coloured one, though. (This is not a racist statement) :D

The quest goes on, much like the beat in a famous song.

Top Bottom