• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Two SVS PB-1000s (original not pro) or one Rhythmik E15HP2 w/Hypex

ferrellms

Would love any feedback on what I might gain or lose. I currently run a 5.2 set up with Denon 3700h, Revel M16s, Revel C25 and two SVS PB-1000 subs. I have the opportunity to buy a Rhythmik E15HP2 Hypex version at a very good price. Wondering if it would be worth doing. Any thoughts on what I might expect from a performance perspective?

The PB-1000s are supposed to go down to 19Hz, looks like the E15HP2 goes down to 14Hz.

I don't listen at extraordinary volumes although I will turn it up for movies sometimes and I listen to a good amount of music. Room is maybe 25 x 30 ft but opens up to other open space on one side.

I realize that the PB-1000s are considered an entry level sub, but I'm pressed to understand what I might get from one high quality sub vs two pretty good entry level subs.
2 subs are usually better - the room is as important as the sub(s) and 2 will smooth out the frequency response you hear. The different placements will result in different frequency responses due to different room interactions for each and the combination that you hear is likely more smooth than either alone over different listening positions.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would use a Y-splitter and use only a single sub out on the receiver. You can check and see whether the sub outs on your receiver are truly independent (then you would want to bypass it using y-splitter) or if there is an internal y-splitter.

The "theory" behind a basic multi-sub setup is to make the response similar throughout the entire listening area... then you can apply EQ (either auto or manual) and it will work for all listening positions instead of just the sweetspot as with a single sub setup. In this scenario, you would be using a mono sub signal.

If you want to try MSO, that is another jump up in complexity. You will be using the minidsp to apply unique EQ for each sub instead of all of them together as one.

EDIT: Actually, you don't even need a y-splitter. Can just run a single sub out from receiver to single input on the minidsp.
Why would AVR manufacturers go to great expense to add two sub outs when all you have to do is get a Y splitter if one out is better?

Last edited:
OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate all the feedback, I'm going to get my new M106s and my matching sub and I'm going to Audyssey 32XT the sh* out of everything, add the Harman curve in the app and see where things stand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom