• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Try] measurement of a Lavry DA11 with Sound Devices MixPre10ii

shal

Hi,
Just for fun, I try to measure the quality of my DAC with my Field recorder Sound Devices mixpre10 ii

First item : Lavry DA11
It's a DAC build by Dan Lavry , quite old (2009) USB, optical, spdif input, XLR (balanced or unbalanced) output, headphone.
http://www.lavryengineering.com/products/da11.html

Main characteristics from site :
Dynamic Range: -112dB typical, -110 dB minimum (Non weigthed )

Second item Sound Devices MixPre-10 ii
https://www.sounddevices.com/product/mixpre-10-ii/
Main characteristics from site :
-130dBV (-128dBu) max (A-weighting, gain=76dB, 150 ohm source impedance)
ADC : 32 bit precision; 142dB dynamic range min (A-weighted, gain=10dB, fader=0dB)

I am under Linux, so using windows soft is sometime weird to manipulate . I use the wine software in order use windows program on Linux.

So the test I have this configuration:
RMAA.exe -> wine -> Linux (alsa) -> optical -> Lavry DA11 -> XLR cable -> Sound Devices MixPre10 ii -> usb cables -> Linux -> RMMA.exe

The volume setup:
- Linux/alsa volume a 100%
- Lavry (I do test a different volume and obtain different measures)
- Sound Devices a input a 0

I have made different measure with Lavry volume.
At the maximum RMAA says that the level is to high
I made test to 40, 48 and 50

Noise level is better at level 40 : -115 that at 50 -109.2
Dynamic range is better at 48 : 116.1 than at 50: 115.9 or at 40 : 114.9
Intermodulation is not very good 0.041% at level 50 and 0.022% at 40
Crosstal betwwen -108 and -110

This is the spectrum for Lavry at level 50 :

Spectrum_Lavry_50_24_192.png

This is the output level of the Lavry :

Lavry_volume.png

That all folk. it's just for fun :D

I am happy from the result

If you have advise to perform better measure , doesn't hesitate to spoke.

Olivier

cryptout

Cool, I still listen to my Lavry DA11. I also have a Topping D50s which should sound way better but I don't really hear it. The USB interface on the Topping is indeed better, the old Lavry has poor USB and I use it with spdif in. When I have the money I will buy a RME ADI-2 to replace both ;-)

OP
shal

shal

Cool, I still listen to my Lavry DA11. I also have a Topping D50s which should sound way better but I don't really hear it. The USB interface on the Topping is indeed better, the old Lavry has poor USB and I use it with spdif in. When I have the money I will buy a RME ADI-2 to replace both ;-)

Yes, this DAC is transparent like newers that have better specification but that's all, no audible difference to my ears.
The Lavry has replaced a old USB audio interface (Edirol UA1000, pretty good) and there is no difference for me .

The difference between DAC is for me the ability to produced a lot of Volt . The DAC is directly connected to my power amplifier (Yamaha PC2002).
For example for me a RME Babyface does not match this used case ( perhaps the usb powered of the Babyfcae made the difference).

Another interest to the Lavry is the excellent volume control (linearity and match <0.08db)

Top Bottom