• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

True-Fi headphone software correction

Rod

Patreon Donor
By Sonarworks. 10- Day trial. Sets eq according to company's measurements. Also sets the eq by age. I am testing it now. I first set the age at 26 and I could tell the lack of treble. Set it at my old age and yes the treble adjusted.
"The consumer-based software — which is available on both Mac and PC platforms and soon on mobile devices was awarded 'Best in Show' in the music listening category at CanJam Europe in Berlin last November."

Timbo2

Patreon Donor
I tried the software about 3 months ago and found it didn't play well with Win7 and my HTPC. This PC has my AVR and its DAC connected as well as my DAC for my headphones. It seemed to struggle with which DAC to emulate. I got it to work once.

I messed around for about an hour with it, but I wasn't going to go down the "configuration rabbit hole" with it because this HTPC uses Windows Media Center and remote media extenders. It is how everyone watches TV on every TV in the house. I joke with my family that I feel like IT staff in a production environment as up-time is critical on it. I'm still upset the MSFT killed it!

SIY

I have a review of the Sonarworks system coming up in the July AudioXpress, with a few comments on the True-Fi. A more extensive review of the True-Fi system, which now includes normalization to the new Harman curves, is in the works. The ability to change the target response is a very nice feature, IMO. I'm less thrilled about the age correction...

Interestingly, Sonarworks claims that if you use their EQ, you can make headphones sound essentially identical.

I have tested a dozen or so headphones with True-Fi and many of them were very similar. Not all of them were identical, but that's probably because it's impossible to get a perfect compensation for every headphone for every listener. I mean, the compensation I need tor a K612 might be similar to what you need, but we might need different compensations for an M50X, or we might need different compensations for both.

Some headphones are also not very consistent with position: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK550.pdf

Even the Utopia varies a bit: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalUtopia.pdf

That being said, I think it's one of the best things to happen to the audiophile community :)

If you pick two headphones that are consistent with position, and don't vary much from listener to listener, I think they will sound very similar with Sonarworks (assuming distortion is similar or reasonably low).

It offers a ton of value to guys with mid-tier headphones, as there's a significant price jump when moving to high-tier (though we're getting more headphones that are filling the gap). That of course assumes you like their target FR.

Last edited:

Rod

Patreon Donor
I have a review of the Sonarworks system coming up in the July AudioXpress, with a few comments on the True-Fi. A more extensive review of the True-Fi system, which now includes normalization to the new Harman curves, is in the works. The ability to change the target response is a very nice feature, IMO. I'm less thrilled about the age correction...

Interestingly, Sonarworks claims that if you use their EQ, you can make headphones sound essentially identical.
I took a test online and found out that I lost the ability to hear the test tone past 15-16k. So in some songs I notice that depending on how loud the treble area is, it can make the track sound too warm and lacking in treble. For example "All stripped down" by Lisa Bassenge on her Canyon Songs album. So the age correction helps me hear what I have been missing in the tracks.
But the program wont work for me until I check exclusive mode in settings which then sounds scratchy and heavily distorted, then unchecking that setting so it sounds as it should. Can't figure out why that's happening. I also hear a pop when I manually change a track in Tidal but not when I let Tidal automatically change tracks on a playlist.
I also found out I was clipping. I let the eq program automatically set the volume level as it informed me I was clipping so I had to go from low power mode to high power mode on a RME dac and now I must be entering higher distortion levels on the amp as I am at -10 db to get to a moderate listening level. Glad I got the Massdrop/THX AAA amp coming with 6 watts. I need that for the HE-560.
Unless I am misunderstanding how this is supposed to work.

Last edited:

Rod

Patreon Donor
I took a test online and found out that I lost the ability to hear the test tone past 15-16k. So in some songs I notice that depending on how loud the treble area is, it can make the track sound too warm and lacking in treble. For example "All stripped down" by Lisa Bassenge on her Canyon Songs album. So the age correction helps me hear what I have been missing in the tracks.
But the program wont work for me until I check exclusive mode in settings(which then sounds scratchy and distorted)then uncheck that setting to get it to work. Cant figure out why that's happening. I also hear a pop when I manually change a track in Tidal but not when I let Tidal do it on a playlist.
But I found out I was clipping. I let the eq program automatically set the volume level(It said I was clipping)and had to go from low power mode to high power mode on a RME dac and now I must be entering higher distortion levels on the amp as I am at -10 db to get to a moderate listening level. Glad I got the Massdrop/THX AAA amp coming with 6 watts. I need that for the HE-560.
Unless I am misunderstanding how this is supposed to work.
I uninstalled it for now and sent the company a troubleshooting report.

Rod

Patreon Donor
The company has responded and replied that there reaching out to RME so they can fix the bug with the RME drivers and it will be included in the next update. I went ahead and reinstalled the eq program and dealt with the bug. I really like what I am hearing with the age correction and eq applied. One thing that surprised me, the loss of sound stage that I didn't even realize was happening. With the eq applied and the age correction activated, the soundstage increased, giving the music more depth. I didn't realize what the hearing loss was doing, I guess its been such a slow process its like the frog in boiling water metaphor.
I also did not let the the program set the voume level, that cant be right that I am clipping so I think its another bug.

I used to work at Sonarworks for nearly 4 years. I still think it's one of the gamechanger products for headphones and studio monitors. For headphone calibration it's all in the measurement method. I think it's the only one where end results are ear checked against a reference by multiple engineers, so the curves are free from measurement artifacts.

Top Bottom