• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

True-Fi headphone software correction

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll make a bet that it's the physical test jig. Here's an example of the same headphones tested with and without artificial pinnae.

Yes, the rig for testing HD650s was without the foam, and had some obvious reflections. For HE560 measurements I added foam which helped tame at least some of these.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
OK, I am at an impasse. I want to measure the effect of True Fi (or the Sonarworks Reference 4) on frequency response or distortion, but... I can't get the measurement to work with the AP gear. The APx525 can output analog, SPDIF/AES-EBU, or direct to ASIO, but in each case, it seems to bypass the Sonarworks processing. I tried this using both the APx1701 interface and a Scarlett 2i2 to drive the 'phones. In theory, I could record and play back spot tones, but that seems rather clunky and incomplete.

I admit to being relatively clueless with computer audio, so if anyone would be willing to handhold me through the setup, I would greatly appreciate it.

Timbo2

OK, I am at an impasse. I want to measure the effect of True Fi (or the Sonarworks Reference 4) on frequency response or distortion, but... I can't get the measurement to work with the AP gear. The APx525 can output analog, SPDIF/AES-EBU, or direct to ASIO, but in each case, it seems to bypass the Sonarworks processing. I tried this using both the APx1701 interface and a Scarlett 2i2 to drive the 'phones. In theory, I could record and play back spot tones, but that seems rather clunky and incomplete.

I admit to being relatively clueless with computer audio, so if anyone would be willing to handhold me through the setup, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sounds a exactly like the issue I was having. Are you on Win10 or Win7?

One suggestion would be to disable every DAC and or ADC on your PC except the one that is being emulated by Sonarworks. I didn’t want to take this step in case I had trouble enabling my DACs again. As I mentioned my HTPC serves as a server for the whole house.

Otherwise you may have to contact the developers.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Win 7. For using the 2i2, I set Systemwide as the default, the 2i2 was enabled, everything else was disabled. The AP was set for ASIO output with the 2i2 selected (it does not give the option of Sonarworks, and the apps guy at AP didn't know how to do that, either). No good. So I used the balanced analog output of the AP running into the 2i2 line inputs, with Systemwide set for the 2i2 as its output. Nope.

And of course, the Systemwide did not give the AP as a selectable output.

I bet there's something easy to do that one of the computer-savvy types will know about.

edit: I was looking at this as a possible solution. Opinions welcome. https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

Timbo2

Hopefully someone else has some thoughts.

If not, it seems from when I was trying to get it to work most people were running Win10. Similar to you I was on Win7. So if you have a Win10 machine that might be another thing to try.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Win 7. For using the 2i2, I set Systemwide as the default, the 2i2 was enabled, everything else was disabled. The AP was set for ASIO output with the 2i2 selected (it does not give the option of Sonarworks, and the apps guy at AP didn't know how to do that, either). No good. So I used the balanced analog output of the AP running into the 2i2 line inputs, with Systemwide set for the 2i2 as its output. Nope.

I bet there's something easy to do that one of the computer-savvy types will know about.

edit: I was looking at this as a possible solution. Opinions welcome. https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm
I know you need someone computer savvy but still maybe @amirm could help..

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

So in sound control panel, it shows up as a new device? If so, how are you building an ASIO interface on top of it? ASIO4ALL?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Systemwide shows up as a device in the Playback sound control panel as "Sonarworks Virtual Audio Device." Sonarworks then has its own control panel to select its output device; the AP does not appear there, just the 2i2 and my computer's internal speakers. When I select the 2i2 as the output device, the AP seems to bypass Sonarworks and addresses the 2i2 directly, which is great for measuring headphones directly, but not for measuring the SW software.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure how to plug ASIO4ALL into this. I feel like the 4th son in the famous seder story.

Guermantes

Systemwide shows up as a device in the Playback sound control panel as "Sonarworks Virtual Audio Device." Sonarworks then has its own control panel to select its output device; the AP does not appear there, just the 2i2 and my computer's internal speakers. When I select the 2i2 as the output device, the AP seems to bypass Sonarworks and addresses the 2i2 directly, which is great for measuring headphones directly, but not for measuring the SW software.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure how to plug ASIO4ALL into this. I feel like the 4th son in the famous seder story.
It sounds like ASIO is working in exclusive mode. Can you untick that option in any of the control panels?

Failing that, perhaps use another driver model such as WASAPI or the standard Windows audio driver.

I use Sonarworks as a plug-in and insert it into the monitor bus of my audio software. Using Win7 here, too.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The AP does not show up as an ASIO device. I'll try unticking the Allow applications to take exclusive control" boxes on the 2i2 and Sonarworks panels and see what happens. Many thanks!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It sounds like ASIO is working in exclusive mode. Can you untick that option in any of the control panels?

That did the trick!

I basically punted to using the 2i2 analog in fed by the AP analog out, and unchecked Exclusive on in and out for the 2i2. Measurements to come later this week.

Disruptor

hey it seems i got the same problem i also got the scarlett 2i2 1. gen and sonarworks systemwide seems to be bypassed how and where did you "untick exclusive mode"

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
hey it seems i got the same problem i also got the scarlett 2i2 1. gen and sonarworks systemwide seems to be bypassed how and where did you "untick exclusive mode"

Going from memory (the computer I used is no longer with me, and I have everything packed away at the moment for my relocation), it was in the Windows sound control panel, Advanced properties tab. Note that I only used the Scarlett for the measurement part; once I had the room/speaker EQ curve, I reverted to my USB to spdif adapter to drive my electronic crossover.

nhunt

That did the trick!

I basically punted to using the 2i2 analog in fed by the AP analog out, and unchecked Exclusive on in and out for the 2i2. Measurements to come later this week.
Did you ever post the measurements?

Top Bottom