• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

True-Fi headphone software correction

JustIntonation

Any data to support that claim?
Yes? Simply look at the distortion measurements of headphones and then see that by boosting the subbass 20 to 50 hertz by as much as Sonarworks boosts that area (depends on headphone, but most will be 9db or more boosted?) will only give a greatly increased distortion.
Ah this doesn't only go for Sonarworks (though it really wants to boost that subbass a lot) you can find plenty of experienced headphone users and reviewers state this problem when using EQ to boost subbass on most headphones. Some take it better than others, the HD800 takes a fair amount of it for instance, some of the Beyerdynamic headphones also take a fair amount, but most open back headphones don't take boosting the subbass very well (as in terribly badly). There are other problems in EQ-ing highs, etc. EQ is not a fix all for headphones. Can be good and useful but for me not the way Sonarworks does it. But if some others are happy of course that's great. Just pointing out the flaws in the big statements Sonarworks makes.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
And I don't think you can get there with the bass-trebble-tilt controls of Reference 4 either.

So you haven't actually tried it yet? eq.png

JustIntonation

So you haven't actually tried it yet? View attachment 13277
Tried Reference 4. It's the same thing from the same company only with slightly more controls (except for the age thing which I'm sure is only a trebble boost thing which you can do with Reference 4 as well under a different name).

(btw, Reference 4 is also a room correction software. I've personally heard from several studio owners how they don't think it's very good for this. Much better alternatives available for this.)

Hrodulf

No, headphones are not good for commercial mixing that translates. And this is not just my opinion, you can find plenty of knowledgeable people say the same thing on Gearslutz etc.

Most of mixing today is done on headphones, same goes for listening. Sure, one needs to keep in mind a few things when mixing on headphones for speakers, but same goes vice versa as well. It is true that nothing beats a purpose made control room with a pair of nice monitors, but the reality is much different for most people. I have actually spoken with people who have ditched their monitors to mix exclusively on headphones and then do some checks on good and bad speakers.

Every single good studio I've been to does not sound as warm as the Sonarworks flat response. They are far more analytical after room treatment.

What do you mean by "warm", so we can talk in same terms? I have been to top studios in NY and LA and the rooms themselves are fairly dead with LEDE approach usually used. The most variance between the setups are usually found below Schroeder frequency.

And I personally think it is even far more helpful to have good headphones with a very analytical response and an experienced person listening to them who knows what they are and what not.

What do you perceive as an analytical response in terms of FR? An experienced person can (and should) know the shortcomings of a system, but no one can think away spectral masking.

And I'll even say that for most headphones and people simply slapping on Sonarworks in their default setting is not an improvement but a great degredation in sound quality even if only because of the greatly increased distortion with most headphones.

How much THD increase would you call "huge"? I've seen thousands of measurements and usually sub-bass boosting with our curves makes dynamic open backs go from 3% to 5% at 93dB below 80Hz at worst. Is that huge?

Simply look at the distortion measurements of headphones and then see that by boosting the subbass 20 to 50 hertz by as much as Sonarworks boosts that area (depends on headphone, but most will be 9db or more boosted?) will only give a greatly increased distortion.

It will also give more audible information in this frequency range. You still haven't presented any data of how much does the distortion rise by a typical corrective EQ boost on an open back headphone.

Here's data for an open back headphone at 93dB. Black is obviously corrected.

THD.jpg.5994720037aaa487f45a82bded7320d8.jpg

HD800 takes a fair amount of it for instance

Actually it doesn't. The correction curve for HD800 is band limited because of this. Planars take low end additive EQ really well due to tons of moving area.

EQ is not a fix all for headphones.

Well, nothing is a panacea for everything, yet we use it, because it's useful. Is physical room treatment a fix for everything? No one is really saying that it's useless.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It will also give more audible information in this frequency range. You still haven't presented any data of how much does the distortion rise by a typical corrective EQ boost on an open back headphone.

Exactly so. I've got the AP headphone fixture coming back to me this weekend so can actually get real data instead of the handwaving and data-free assertions that are bothering both of us.

Hrodulf

Subtractive EQ will actually lower HD in the affected region. I'd say the bugbear is non-minimum phase stuff, but compared to speakers/rooms they're pretty rare in headphones.

P.S. cranking up the volume will also make the HD go up, but for most folks it seems like a worthwhile trade-off.

JustIntonation

Well that is a very different statistical guess on your part. You say most people mix on headphones these days? Not in my area, I don't know a single one. And I didn't get that impression on Gearslutz either though I haven't spent much time there past few years I'd be very surprised if this has changed all of a sudden. My knowledge and impression is that headphone mixing does not work for most people. Everybody I know would prefer even a bedroom studio with budget monitors and minor treatment over mixing on headphones.

I would not call LEDE "dead" I'd personally call it in the middle ground as far as professional treated studios go.
And most studios go for a ruler flat direct sound and some warmth comes in from the diffused early reflections. But this is not for everybody, there's always discussion about this. Some find that with this setting there is too little bass and the highs take your head off and use a house curve (some studios have a specific house curve and there are even studios which cater to for instance R&B which almost always have a curve especially for that style etc. It's a complex world.) And studios for classical work are usually ruler flat but very often use Geithain monitors which have much softer highs (even though they measure flat) etc etc. Much variety. But I've never been to a studio where the mixing monitors sound anything as warm as a HD650. Though sometimes they have main monitors that are voiced on the warm side where everything sounds good and are played to please the clients but not actually mixed on.

As for going from 3% to 5% as the typical result of the subbass boost in Sonarworks for open back dynamic headphones? I can't belief that is realistic those are often boosted in Sonarworks by 9db or even more right? Open back dynamic headphones don't go from 3% to 5% with a 9db boost at 20hz right? Seems to me it would be more. I would not call 3% to 5% huge, though it is certainly noticeable and a degredation. ButI'll check some headphone distortion graphs later and look at some of the default boosts for various open back dynamic headphones in Reference 4 and get back to you on this. (yes planars are different of course, though I've never personally owned one the ones I heard a few years ago had bad trebble in my opinion which I'm very sceptical Sonarworks could fix that either.)

As far as what I think is a reasonable and neutral analytical response I think this would probably be something in the direction of diffuse field equalized for headphones (though I'm not completely familiar with headphone curves as I mentioned before). But for me certainly not the Harman curves. And is there any literature that suggests the Harman curves correspond to a headphone similar version of average studio curves? I'm guessing (and hearing) this is a big no. (and as I learned by reading this thread again Sonarworks is indeed using a Harman curve? Which is also indeed the warmest curve there is in the headphone curve debate? So what I'm saying regarding the curve is not something that comes completely out of the blue but is something that is actively being debated amongst headphone makers and enthoustiasts? (not even just the studio ones, but even the hifi / audiophile use ones?)

But I do thank you for your reply.
I was simply airing my personal displeasure with Sonarworks and disagree with the marketing words used. Also a new user of this particular forum. Did not intend to pick a fight.
But since we are talking already. Perhaps I can suggest to at least alow the user to select different "flat" curves than just the Harman curve? That would be really cool actually :) And my personal wishlist would also include more control over the eq. Instead of the limited treble and bass controls why not include a basic parametric eq?

And btw, I'm also curious why you claim / think to have the worlds best measurement technique for headphones. Have you written any information online about your measurement technique and advantages achieved over other systems? I'd be curious to read it.

Kind regards

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Try listening to well recorded classical music with their "flat curve". It's a bass heavy wooly muffled mess. (which is exactly how I'd define the HD650 btw, very much veiled and they're infamous for this but for some others this is how they want their headphone to sound though)
Wow, what a wrongheaded take on the HD650's? I think you'd find there are about a million owners that would dis-agree with that statement Maybe your hearing has become so damaged in the upper octaves you need a lot of boost there to hear details and balance the response?

I've no experience with True-Fi software but think I'll just leave the response of my Senn's as designed and save the $80 , they sound fantastic to me. ;)

Timbo2

Wow, what a wrongheaded take on the HD650's? I think you'd find there are about a million owners that would dis-agree with that statement Maybe your hearing has become so damaged in the upper octaves you need a lot of boost there to hear details and balance the response?

I've no experience with True-Fi software but think I'll just leave the response of my Senn's as designed and save the $80 , they sound fantastic to me. ;)

Well, for my HD600s I was willing to give the software a shot, but as I mentioned before it didn’t want to play nice with my HTPC. OTH, the response curve for these cans has been measured in several places. Using Foobar I can EQ based on it and try to smooth things out a bit. I won’t claim that matches the software’s accuracy, but as you mentioned I do get to save $80!

Personally I find the HD600’s sound out of the box quite satisfactory. Are they perfect? No, I’d like some more bass, but not at the expense of the rest of their sound.

JustIntonation

Good for you if you find the HD650 response fits your preferences and use. Nothing wrong with that.
But HD650's simply do not have an average studio monitor response like Sonarworks claims in a way (Harman curve). Not even close.
Anybody with experience in studio monitors / studio's can hear this.
So why am I being accused of having shot ears for having a different preference and the simple obvious ability to hear the average studio curve is completely different from the Harman curve?
And I'll say it again. The HD650 are praised for their ability to make all music sound good / listenable. Studio monitors try to achieve the exact oposite and show harshness clearly when its there etc.
Btw I'm not talking only about the very veiled highs on the HD650 but about the whole curve from bass to treble.
Also, try listening to far field classical recordings with the HD650. Doesn't sound balanced like it does in real life does it..
HD600 is the same for me except that it is indeed missing subbass more clearly after that very much elevated midbass. Highs are not much better than on the HD650 to me and it has a slow and warm signature all over like the HD650. In adition it has very small imaging. I don't get how people can call these headphones neutral. In any case they're nothing like what people call neutral studio monitors in a treated room. That is really a completely different balance.

Last edited:

JustIntonation

Well reading a little about the Harman curve here:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/harman-tweaks-its-headphone-target-response
And the Harman curve is based mostly on in room measurements of a single hifi system? And one where obviously the speakers are not even aimed directly at the ears? Look at how the treble drops off. Studios do the exact opposite they usually point the speakers directly at the ear and at close distance for nearfield monitors giving a completely different treble response. Also any idea of the massive amount of bass absorption treatment in pro studios? Giving a response that is nothing like the Harman curve.
This is all too silly to even talk about like this..

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@amirm can we measure headphone frequency response or can you LoL

I’m not much for a bunch of guys arguing about what their headphones sound like based on subjective assessment.

*Some* of us are equipped to do that. :cool:

JustIntonation

Well here is a video explaining the head related tranfer function and the ways to measure this:

What it says is that the average free field response and the diffuse field response corrected head related transfer functions are very close.
And then they say that with subjective measurements nobody can agree :)

As I now get it, the Harman curves are a completely different thing again where a subjectively good sounding home audiophile / hifi system (in a well subjectively well behaved room) is taken as the reference instead of anechoic chamber measurements.
None of the above gives a reponse that is similar to a head related transfer function corrected response of an average pro studio (which differe quite a bit between themselves aswell btw).

I'm finding I personally prefer the average free field reponse and diffuse field response corrected headphone curve over the Harman curve, and also claim (correctly) that the Harman curve sounds nothing like an average pro studio (which apparently nobody claims except Sonarworks kind of suggests this in their marketing talk).
And I'm being attacked for saying this..

Guermantes

Well reading a little about the Harman curve here:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/harman-tweaks-its-headphone-target-response
And the Harman curve is based mostly on in room measurements of a single hifi system? And one where obviously the speakers are not even aimed directly at the ears? Look at how the treble drops off. Studios do the exact opposite they usually point the speakers directly at the ear and at close distance for nearfield monitors giving a completely different treble response. Also any idea of the massive amount of bass absorption treatment in pro studios? Giving a response that is nothing like the Harman curve.

You should have stopped there. The next line was far too condescending considering the professional research done by Sean Olive and Floyd Toole at Harman and the respect they have among their peers. I understand you have a difference of opinion and your criticisms may be well informed, but labelling it "silly" is likely to make it seem an empty polemic. The truth is it is being talked about and the more informed research we have on creating target curves for headphone listening the better. Let's not belittle that.

There is a dissonance here between professional studio environments and domestic listening environments. It is true that they differ dramatically and I'm sure Dr. Toole has done a huge amount of research into this. We can't get away from the fact that one is (generally) acoustically controlled and the other (generally) is not. But we also know where the vast amount of listening is actually done: in domestic environments. Perhaps Sonarworks should apply more markedly different philosophies to the professional version of their product (Reference) as opposed to their domestic one (True-Fi).

I think the beauty of the headphones + correction model is to provide a reference that is independent of the room. This is the potential of software like Sonarworks. I started using it when my usual working room was undergoing renovations and I was forced to relocate to a normal shared office environment. I found the benefits far out-weighed the shortcomings.

JustIntonation

You should have stopped there. The next line was far too condescending considering the professional research done by Sean Olive and Floyd Toole at Harman and the respect they have among their peers. I understand you have a difference of opinion and your criticisms may be well informed, but labelling it "silly" is likely to make it seem an empty polemic. The truth is it is being talked about and the more informed research we have on creating target curves for headphone listening the better. Let's not belittle that.

There is a dissonance here between professional studio environments and domestic listening environments. It is true that they differ dramatically and I'm sure Dr. Toole has done a huge amount of research into this. We can't get away from the fact that one is (generally) acoustically controlled and the other (generally) is not. But we also know where the vast amount of listening is actually done: in domestic environments. Perhaps Sonarworks should apply more markedly different philosophies to the professional version of their product (Reference) as opposed to their domestic one (True-Fi).

I think the beauty of the headphones + correction model is to provide a reference that is independent of the room. This is the potential of software like Sonarworks. I started using it when my usual working room was undergoing renovations and I was forced to relocate to a normal shared office environment. I found the benefits far out-weighed the shortcomings.
Oh perhaps we have miscommunication about what I meant.
I meant that saying a home hifi system sounds like a studio is silly. A home hifi system does not have massive bass traps and it is rolled off in the highs with speakers often pointing directly ahead or only slightly toed in. In studio's mixing is done most often on nearfields or midfields with tweeters pointing directly at the ears and additionally massive bass traps with the goal to completely eliminate any room modes etc. It is really a very different sound and one that is not at all forgiving (the opposite of forgiving is trying to be achieved) and with quite a different frequency curve from the average audiophile home setup. I meant it's silly that I have to defend my claim that the Harman curve sounds nothing like an average pro studio. Anybody with experience can immediately hear this is not the case and also the literature does not suggest this is the case. The only people who suggest this is the case is Sonarworks.
(To be extra clear, I was not trying to be condensending to the research at Harman at all. And neither have I personally read any claims by Harman that I disagree with.)

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm can we measure headphone frequency response or can you LoL

I’m not much for a bunch of guys arguing about what their headphones sound like based on subjective assessment.

HE-560, corrected to my preferred target curve (linear, about 10dB down from 20Hz to 20KHz). Dotted line is phase. Measured using Behringer mic and REW (I use rePhase to create the PEQ\):

he560-corrected.JPG

Same rig before the correction:
he560-uncorrected.JPG

Top Bottom