• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

tower speaker 1000-1500€ - Triangle vs Heissmann? What works with my room? Treatment?

midnightsun

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to build a Hifi and TV-setup for my living room.
Some initial information:
- room is 7.3x4.6m (24x15ft) with a 2.9m (9.5ft) ceiling, total area about 32m² (345 square foot)
- floor is vinyl without any carpets. I strongly dislike carpets/rugs and would like to keep it that way. So no way of treating floor reflections
- two floor deep windows on the one side of the room, thinking about getting heavy curtains to avoid first reflection
- I have a TV (LG C9 55") and a turntable (Rega P3, Ortofon 3M Bronze)
- Jamo Sub 660 (12") standing central in front of the TV (would be ok with removing it, if I don't need it anymore with big tower speakers)

I am looking for tower speakers in the range between 1000€ and 1500€ and a matching amplifier and DSP. For the latter, I was thinking of getting the Minidsp Flex and a Topping PA5, if they work with the speakers I would ultimately choose.
I heard some good about the Triangle Borea BR09 and like it visually a lot. But I am also quite tempted by the Heissmann DXT-Wave Fusion. The DXT-Wave are a lot more expensive (guessing I would end up closer around 2k with all the material?) but seem to be quite well performing and promise to work very well with untreated floors and ceilings, which I would like to avoid. The only Triangle speakers tested here however, seem to profit noticeably more from treated floors and ceilings. Plus I kinda like the idea of building speakers myself. Skills and tools would not be an issue.
Other options are more than welcome!

In terms of room treatment, I'm not sure how much I can do. I don't want any floor treatment but could probably live with some on the ceiling. I was already planning to get thick, heavy curtains for the windows. On the opposite side, I could relatively easily put a couple of absorbers on the first reflection points. The wall behind me with the kitchen is also almost impossible to improve.
I was contemplating building a huge absorption element on the wall with the TV (10cm/4inch thick stone wool covering the entire wall) but am not sure if it would be worth the ~600-800€ of material cost.

Would really appreciate any suggestions! :)

1658447185991.png

dlaloum

Major Contributor
This is what I use.... Gallo Ref 3.2 - It is discontinued, but comes up quite frequently used, within your price bracket (last version of these was the 3.5, which sold for circa 6500...):

gallo_ref3_1.jpg

These replace my previous Quad Electrostatics... I would rank these as better in the bass, and close but not quite as good as the ESL in the mids

They go down to 24Hz, and can benefit from biamping depending on your main amp - they are quite power hungry - and prefer an amp with substantial current reserves. (Anthony Gallo used to demo them with a 500W Class D amp that would double down into 4 ohm and again into 2 ohm.... circa 2000W into 2 ohm!!)

Some people swear by using these in biamp mode, with a big class D on the woofer, and a small valve amp on the mids and highs.

There is also the current model, which is more WAF - Smaller speakers, matched with one or more subs... the Gallo Strada:

STRADA-SIDE-SS_BLACK-10-3.jpg

These do very well wall mounted - taking advantage of boundary effects...

For around the same price, you can get the now discontinued reference AV version...

Gallo Ref AV.jpg

But of course these latter speakers are not Towers!

Don't underestimate their capabilities.... They are one of very few speakers I have heard that compete with Electrostatics.... and which (to my ears) sound "electrostatic like".

Good luck

ta240

Major Contributor
If you do the heissmann one please do a thread on it here.

delta76

Major Contributor
For a little more than 1500 eur, get focal aria 948 shipping from france. Enough to power your entire room then some

Top Bottom