• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would adding a 1/2" thick carpet pad make a difference in reverberations?

hutt132

I have a thin black 3.5' x 14' rug under my speakers that butts up against the front wall. Would adding a 1/2" thick felt carpet pad under it make any noticeable difference in reverberations?
I understand thicker panels on the walls would make a bigger difference, but I'm just wondering if small changes like carpet padding would be worth it as well.

I already have two large 5.5" thick rockwool cloud panels on the ceiling in the front of the room, and I have thick, double-layered, blackout curtains on the left wall (installed after picture was taken) and over the right window to cover the 1st side reflections.
I also plan to eventually add a massive 4" thick rockwool panel on the back wall.

Attachments

• IMG_1835.jpg
    IMG_1835.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can find a auction offering those very heavy 6 foot tall and 3 or 4 foot wide colored office divider panels they make great audio dampening panels and improve the imaging if placed behind the head on the wall. They go for cheap at auctions and some are dirty and some new and clean so proceed accordingly... I used 2 of them behind my head and was more than pleased with the result.

OP
hutt132

hutt132

If you can find a auction offering those very heavy 6 foot tall and 3 or 4 foot wide colored office divider panels they make great audio dampening panels and improve the imaging if placed behind the head on the wall. They go for cheap at auctions and some are dirty and some new and clean so proceed accordingly... I used 2 of them behind my head and was more than pleased with the result.
I plan on making a large 4" thick rockwool panel to go on the back wall. Attached 2 of the mock up images of what I plan to do. I have black fabric picked out for them to reduce light reflection off the screen too.

Attachments

• back panel semi wide.png
    back panel semi wide.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
  • back panel 0.5 semi wide.png
    back panel 0.5 semi wide.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 72

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I plan on making a large 4" thick rockwool panel to go on the back wall. Attached 2 of the mock up images of what I plan to do. I have black fabric picked out for them to reduce light reflection off the screen too.
I like the layout of the room in that there are the two exit/entrance openings that virtually eliminate most reflections. I had a similar layout with larger openings and it worked out very well with the dampening panels in between like you have there in the images. I think you are definitely on the right track for success in your audio room tuning.

Top Bottom