• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

Deckard71

I think my streamer/DAC Eversolo DMP A6 has a good preamp. Is more the need of incorporating the AVR and getting rid of the RCA Switch. But a Pre90 might be overkill for this switch function if it does not improve the preamp of the Eversolo

gvl

Major Contributor
I think my streamer/DAC Eversolo DMP A6 has a good preamp. Is more the need of incorporating the AVR and getting rid of the RCA Switch. But a Pre90 might be overkill for this switch function if it does not improve the preamp of the Eversolo

These days the volume control is typically handled on the DAC chip, and it’s well optimized, there’s no sound improvement to be had from an external preamp, unless of course it colors the sound in some ways one may prefer. Lowering the volume on the DAC chip does cause the noise performance of the DAC to suffer, and a low noise preamp such as the Pre90 can help to reduce hiss in a quiet but high gain amp/high sensitivity speaker situation, that’s about it.

gvl

Major Contributor
So the DAC at low volume level decreases in sound quality?

It has to be way low to actually decrease the quality. It decreases the overall SNR of the device, as the noise stays constant but the signal decreases. This only becomes an issue if you have enough gain downstream of the DAC for this noise to be audible. This is generally true of preamps as well, there isn't free lunch.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Having volume control in my DAC, would the Pre90 add any benefit?

Excluding the case where you have to manage multiple sources, it all depends on the characteristics of what you have.

If you have a high gain power amp and sensitive speakers it may happen, in some cases, that the intrinsic noise of the DAC is amplified to the point of becoming audible. Then, having a pre for attenuation is nice. It happened to me when I had a Soekris R2R DAC. I actually used inline attenuators for the purpose.

On the other extreme,if the DAC does not sufficiently drive the power amp, a pre can provide that missing gain and/or sufficient current.

Finally, a preamp may be useful also if the impedance of DAC and power amp are not properly matched, to give a flatter response frequency.

Otherwise, it is useless. This said, I have a “superfluous” Pre90 between my D90 (first series) and my Neurochrome/Purifi build. Because why not. I feel better that way and I am fully aware it is not scientific — but it is a cool little object to have.

Last edited:

Digi

I use the Pre90 with my VTV Purifi Eigentackt amp. Prior to the Eigentackt I used it with an Emotiva BasX A300 class AB amp. It works great, extremely transparent.
Hi, How are you?
Please advise if these VTV Purifi Eigentackt amp produce good bass? I also haver a Topping Pre90 pre and would like to try a Class D amplifier. My current amplifier is a Parasound A21+. TIA.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have always thought a quality preamp adds to the sound quality, but it will depend on how the preamp in the DAC is handling the duties.
How can it "add" quality? I'd appreciate it if it neither added nor subtracted anything.

Jim Creek

Hi, How are you?
Please advise if these VTV Purifi Eigentackt amp produce good bass? I also haver a Topping Pre90 pre and would like to try a Class D amplifier. My current amplifier is a Parasound A21+. TIA.
I have a VTV Purifi Eigentakt with a Topping Pre90. I love this combination. The bass is very good, deep, well controlled. The overall sound is clean, transparent and full. My previous amp was an Emotiva A300. The Eigentakt is better. This is just my subjective opinion.

himey

How can it "add" quality? I'd appreciate it if it neither added nor subtracted anything.
As others have mentioned, some good sound color can be pleasing. Also, the word synergy comes to mind. Some preamps just sound better with some amps. I tried to use the built in volume/gain of my NAD amps, and it sounded terrible.

Deckard71

I’d like a preamp that adds fullness and richness to mid range, smoothness to treble, extension and depth to bass. In that case I would not mind if it is not transparent

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
As others have mentioned, some good sound color can be pleasing. Also, the word synergy comes to mind. Some preamps just sound better with some amps. I tried to use the built in volume/gain of my NAD amps, and it sounded terrible.
I’d like a preamp that adds fullness and richness to mid range, smoothness to treble, extension and depth to bass. In that case I would not mind if it is not transparent
Band-Aids.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
In that case you should be looking at loudspeakers rather than electronics.
Keith

mocenigo

Major Contributor

Do that in digital, it is cheaper and more flexible. If you have enough money for a high end coloring preamp give that money instead to a developer to write an FOSS audio filter to do that type of coloring, configurably, and everybody will love you perpetually for your generosity.

JohnnyNG

This is the wrong thread for that. But my Pre90 and Purifi amps allow all the admittedly inaccurate beauty of my analog front end to pass through unmolested. Which is all I ask of a pre.

Last edited:
Top Bottom