• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no issues with my Harmony Hub and Companion remote.
LOL;
I've been waiting for 5 decades for a neighbor to knock on our front door to ask if he can "borrow a spare remote control"!
202307_NakRM200.jpg

... hasn't happened yet...
Now that I removed it from its ziploc bag (for above photo), I am being tempted to pitch it in the trash.o_O

Factoid: Even into the late '70s, wired-remotes were still being sold... and some were actually compatible between brands. <<afaik

JohnnyNG

LOL;
I've been waiting for 5 decades for a neighbor to knock on our front door to ask if he can "borrow a spare remote control"!
View attachment 299528
Now that I removed it from its ziploc bag (for above photo), I am being tempted to pitch it in the trash.o_O

Factoid: Even into the late '70s, wired-remotes were still being sold... and some were actually compatible between brands. <<afaik
I remember my grandparents having a wired remote for their TV, probably in the late 70's. I recall thinking it was the most awesome. thing. ever.

iLoveCats

Near OT:
I wish there was a (truly) unifying remote control in this universe.
Able to accommodate (be taught or learn) every type of R/C (and codes) ever invented... IR/ RF/ Wireless/ etc.
Even the now defunct Logitech Harmony (family of) remote controls were crappy effort.
SofaBaton should be beaten to death with a baton!:mad:
Yeah its definitely not great BUT I don't know what else to use if you don't have the remote codes anf you just need something for basic functions

Wooferhead

Is Topping Pre90 primarily a preamp for headphone amp?

Can it be used for typical full-sized HiFi power amps? If so, what is its sound quality like?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

Overseas

Major Contributor
In lay terms, is this Pre90 optimal for usage with Topping E50 DAC or a CD player like Rotel A11 ? Any better proper preamp at this budget for me ?
I read about input impedance on topic here till I went blind, no chance for me in the tech world...

Jim Creek

I use the Pre90 with my VTV Purifi Eigentackt amp. Prior to the Eigentackt I used it with an Emotiva BasX A300 class AB amp. It works great, extremely transparent.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I use the Pre90 with my VTV Purifi Eigentackt amp. Prior to the Eigentackt I used it with an Emotiva BasX A300 class AB amp. It works great, extremely transparent.
I am asking about sources to the Pre90. Thanks

Jim Creek

My sources are a Schiit Mani 2 input to the Single ended RCA and a SMSL DO 100 DAC to the balanced XLR of thevPre90. It all works great. The input imp. of the Pre90 is 2000 Ohms, Output imp is 20 Ohms RCA, 40 Ohms XLR. It will match up with just about anything.

gvl

Major Contributor
In lay terms, is this Pre90 optimal for usage with Topping E50 DAC or a CD player like Rotel A11 ? Any better proper preamp at this budget for me ?
I read about input impedance on topic here till I went blind, no chance for me in the tech world...
If you use the E50 as external DAC with your CDP you don’t really need a preamp unless you have other sources.

redjr

LOL;
View attachment 299528

Clark, that's a real fine remote control you got there. If you've throwing it out, do you mind if I take it? I'm sure I could use it with that old microwave I have there in the ole RV.

DACs_Lover

Will it be possible to build a preamp which is quieter than this? or are we the limit of electronics design?

JohnnyNG

Will it be possible to build a preamp which is quieter than this? or are we the limit of electronics design?
Like yes to the former and no to the latter. I'd rather see resources go to a truly useful sub out, though, which engages a high-pass for the main outs. I have no doubt Topping can implement this perfectly.

Deckard71

Not really. There may be some rare cases where it could help to reduce noise/hiss with sensitive speakers.
Thanks. My situation is that I have a power amp with one input. I have an AV receiver and a streamer/dac that both go to the power amp. I have to use a RCA switch, which is totally passive, no electronics, and I miss a remote controller. The Pre90 would serve, but $500 just for switching is too much, if there are no additional benefits on sound

gvl

Major Contributor
Thanks. My situation is that I have a power amp with one input. I have an AV receiver and a streamer/dac that both go to the power amp. I have to use a RCA switch, which is totally passive, no electronics, and I miss a remote controller. The Pre90 would serve, but $500 just for switching is too much, if there are no additional benefits on sound

I would agree with this assessment.

Top Bottom